Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten Found - Advice needed

Options
  • 14-08-2008 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hello Everyone,

Well my Oh just got home not to long ago and on his way up the lane he came across a kitten on the road,the kitten looks to be about 8 weeks old,extremely thin and a bit scruffy! We have fed her and gave her some milk/water. Her eyes are nice and clear and she seems to be in good form,she is sleeping now after her feed.

The advice im seeking is,im 6 months pregnant and ive read that it is somewhat dangerous to my unborn having a kitten around (especially a stray) Is it??

I have no probelm holding onto her till shes in good health if it will not be a issue to me,I also have 2 dogs (fully vacc) is there anything the kitten could be carrying that could be harmful to them?

Sorry if my questions seems silly,I do not have an awful lot of knowledge on cats,only general info so any advice would be apreciated.

Thanking you in advance,
    KC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

The only danger of having a cat around when you are pregnant would be the risk of toxoplasmosis, as long as you stay away from the cats toilet area you should not have any risk. You are actually more likely to catch this from eating undercooked meat as from a cat. Not every cat carries it anyway.

Depending on where you are based, your local rescue or sanctuary may be able to help you. It probably needs worming and flea treatment and then will need vaccinations too. There isn't really anything your dogs could catch from it other than possibly worms or fleas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

Thanks for the reply! Im based in Wicklow altho im not familar with the area as im only living here a few months,ill make an appointment with the vet for tommorrow or Monday and see how things go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I wouldn't worry to much about it, I was hand rearing and had up to 14 cats, 8 kittens, 2 dogs and 6 pups, I hand reared 6 kittens and the six pups and never got anything from them and on my second I had about 10 cats three gave birth an still I never caught any thing,

I'd make sure they were well wormed and some one else cleaned the litter tray regularly, washed my hands always and didn't let them around me when I eat.

Here's a site that has great info but read to the end before you go running to the hills as it starts of sounding a bit extreme, but it's not as bad as all that, do have the kitten checked asap and talk to the vet about worming her, never worm a sick animal, write down what you want to speak to the vet about and take it with you, a good vet will all ways be willing to give you any advice you want.

There is also lots of info on this site as to how to care for a kitten as well.
    Fare play to you's for taking her in.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=571

Advertisement