Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Netgear router &BT

Options
  • 14-08-2008 6:52pm

Hey,

i am having a problem with my wireless internet. about a year ago, my household went wireless and we went out and bought a netgear wireless modem and since then we have always had a problem with our internet connection, and to be honest we always just blamed bt although today after finally getting a helpful telphone operator, she took my mam through steps on the pc which showed that it was not a problem of bt connecting to the modem but the modem connecting to the laptops, the internet always cuts out and sometimes fails to connect and says local access only, although when we disconnect from the connection and reconnect it might work perfectly, we are constantly forced to plug out the modem for a few seconds and plug it back in and that sometimes does the trick.

BT usually refuse to have anything to do with us as its not a BT modem. but this modem was very expensive.

i am just wondering would anyone know if we get a bt modem would that fix all our problems? but i dont understand what the problem is, bt says they don't support Netgear, but the fact of the matter is plenty of people have modems not supplied by there service provider, so i don't know?

Another thing to add, our wireless modem used to be wired to a desktop computer in the sunroom but then the pc broke and the modem was left where it was, but a month ago i moved the modem to another phone port but this time without a wire connection and we seem to think the internet has gotten worse, i just don't understand.

I would be so grateful if anyone could shed a little light on problem we're had for years.

Thanks again,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Which Netgear router is it? Model number should be on the bottom.

RangeMax ADSL modem Wireless Route DG834PN

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Are you running Vista on the computers? - it could be a problem with DHCP renewing.

one vista and on XP, although thats a good point actually, i think vista is slightly worse then my XP?

Try going to start->run. Type in cmd.

Then in the dos/command prompt type ipconfig /release [enter]
    then ipconfig/renew [enter]

This will attempt to contact DHCP service on the router - it seems that this is where your problem is.

You could solve the problem by turning off DHCP on the router and giving the PC's static IPs or if available set the DHCP Lease time to a larger time interval.

• Advertisement

hey could you please explain how to do this??

i appreciate all your help!!

Off to pub now unfort - I'll explain when I get back, but I'm sure someone will give ya help before I get back.

ok cheers thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭stanley1

hey could you please explain how to do this??

i appreciate all your help!!

start button>>>>>run>>>>>>>>>in run box write cmd

would i just be better off purchasing the bt router?

• Advertisement
Advertisement