Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Something a little different for 5-10k?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Went to look an an alfa gtv today but am too tall for it. (Gutted - it's sooo pretty!)

Any other suggestions? I do well under 4k per annum and practicality (back seats, boot space) isn't really an issue. Leather seats ideally, 2L or less for the running costs. It needn't be sporty as long as it's fun to drive. Test drove a rover 75 and it drove like a boat :(, also an IS200 which I enjoyed but had clearly been driven hard by previous owner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

To be honest, I don't know if they're "fun" to drive ...I just always thought they were a beautiful car, and this one looks like a bit of a bargain
    CB4_1111130_1_494989.jpg
    CB4_1111130_7_494995.jpg
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/C70/2.0-Coupe/1111130/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

C70s may be many things, peasant, but trust me - fun to drive is not one of them.

OP - How about an MX5? Or a FIAT Barchetta? Or a FIAT Coupe?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You never said how much you wanted to spend.....fun to drive and price are not related a Peugeot 205 GTI is testament to that:)

I think this is a classic stylish car at a bargin price....(anyone else think that car's very cheap?)

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Triumph/Stag/HardSoft-Top/1147467/

Selling for €2500 but if you spent €4000 on a service, paint job, you would have something special in your own colour....with €50 a year road tax.;)

Here's what your finished car would like like when you get it back from the body shop..

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/629749.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10 steve9000

I think the smaller coupés are out because of the height. Wouldn't be too keen on the cabrios from security point of view anyway. Though the fiat coupe could be an option.

You never said how much you wanted to spend.....fun to drive and price are not related a Peugeot 205 GTI is testament to that:)

I think this is a classic stylish car at a bargin price....(anyone else think that car's very cheap?)

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Triumph/Stag/HardSoft-Top/1147467/

Selling for €2500 but if you spent €4000 on a service, paint job, you would have something special in your own colour....with €50 a year road tax.;)

Here's what your finished car would like like when you get it back from the body shop..

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/629749.htm

Wow, now that's gorgeous! That could be a runner with a hard top.
    I was planning on keeping under 10k as it'll be parked on a public road.

I'm going to have a look at classic cars. The dropdown box on carzone only goes back to 93, but you can change it manually in the location bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

steve9000 wrote: »
    Went to look an an alfa gtv today but am too tall for it.

What height are you? My best mate has one and he's 6'4. Or did the car you looked at have a sunroof?
    steve9000 wrote: »
    2L or less for the running costs.

With your mileage, you'll be surprised how little there is in running costs between a 2L and say a 3L. The latter generally are super value for money. Though I concede there is a considerable difference in motor tax

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you were interested in a gtv but couldn't fit in, why not try a 156. If anything the handling is better and you can pick up recent models for buttons. Treat yourself to one with full leather. Give the car a thorough going over before buying, the best buy will be one with a new timing belt, sparkplugs and 2 years NCT, prioritise those things over the year on the plate. That should keep servicing to a minimum for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Fiat Coupe for me or if going back a few more years may be a VW Corrado.

Mitsubishi FTO may be a bit small for you and even though I always liked the Honda Prelude, I always felt a bit claustrophobic in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

2 off the most underrated cars -porsche 944 (turbo)-vw corrado g60.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

I'm 6ft 1" and have lots and lots of room in my 20V turbo Fiat Coupe

infact, the only car I've ever had trouble fitting into is a Lambo Diablo VT, my size 11 shoes were too big for the pedals (I couldn't put my foot on the accelerator without also resting it on the brake pedal) I couldn't make the indicator signal right, cause my knee was in the way, and I kept banging my head off the roll cage :rolleyes:

oh, get a Fiat coupe 20V Turbo! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Skoda Octavia vRS 1.8T 180bhp. All the extras as standard.... leather, a/c, etc etc.
    ill sell you mine for 7.5k.:rolleyes:

but seriously, best value car out there that's fun to drive. Have had mine 3 years and still love driving it. Was thinking of upgrading to the 06' 2.0L 200bhp version. (I'm no longer in position to move to an M3 which I had hoped :()

unkel wrote: »
    What height are you? My best mate has one and he's 6'4. Or did the car you looked at have a sunroof?

No sunroof. I'm just over 6'1 but must have a curiously long torso because my head was touching the roof and looking out the windscreen was like peeking through a letterbox.
    With your mileage, you'll be surprised how little there is in running costs between a 2L and say a 3L. The latter generally are super value for money. Though I concede there is a considerable difference in motor tax

Good point, 1291 vs 560, still the bigger cars have the nice specs..

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

PM sent

Advertisement