Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom wireless router on BT modem.

Options
  • 14-08-2008 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have searched the forums/google and couldn't really find anything.

So basically, I've just recently changed from Eircom to BT's 24MB broadband, and I have a wireless router/modem from eircom, and I'm wondering, can I connect that to the modem that BT will supply and use that for wireless internet, or will I need to buy a new piece of equipment, if so what? and do you have any reccomended models?

Thanks for reading,

Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

are bt supplying you with a wireless modem? If so why bother with the eircom one. Is the eircom modem relatively new or old? If it's old it may only be capable of supporting adsl, whereas the new 24mb connection you're talking about will be adsl2+ which the netopia won't support, unless it's one of the adsl2+ modems.

It should just be a case of changing a few settings on the eircom modem if it's adsl2+ to get it working with bt. In fact it may just be a case of changing the username and password for the dsl login.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tim131

Thanks for the reply. BT are giving me a wired modem. I'm going to use wires for the main computer, and I was hoping I could connect the Eircom wireless one (new-ish silver one) to the modem and us it to transmit a wireless signal for the other computer to pick up using a USB adapter.

Cheers :)

Advertisement