Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Applied Maths worth doing?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I'm doing 6 honours. I have 2 ordinary subjects - Maths and Applied Maths.

Is Applied Maths (O) worth doing or should I leave it out?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

I would just do it anyway.
    couldn't hurt and at O lv it won't be as difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Up to yourself. I've never actually heard of anyone doing app maths at ordinary level, I always assumed it'd be, as it was for me, a subject you do on the side for the purpose of points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Signature wrote: »
    Is Applied Maths (O) worth doing or should I leave it out?

For what purpose would you do it? It will probably damage your overal points as you will have to spend time at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

If it takes loads of time and work then nah, it's probably not worth doing. But if you like it, then go ahead. I always knew I wouldn't be counting AM for points but I loved the classes and want to do engineering so figured any bit of it would be handy. It's good to have a few classes that you enjoy so definitely do it if you like it enough and have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

if you get an A1 in pass applied maths its more points than a D1 in one of your honours papers. An entirely plausible possibility.

i say do it

whats the worst that can happen? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

i would do it...just to have something to fall back on..just incase one subject does go wrong on the day ^^

and ..gosh wot did my teacher say??
    its good to have applied maths..as in applied maths u learn to solve problems and get a logical minded nd blah blah which is useful in ones life and looks good on cvs..( does it even make any sense?)

lol, but i actually dis-like applied maths with a passion =D:cool:

good luck ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

only do it if you enjoy it. It would be much easier to get results in if you really like it, even if ur not the best at the mathsy part. If you don't really like it then don't bother cos it'll just get annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

~Candy~ wrote: »
    and ..gosh wot did my teacher say??
    its good to have applied maths..as in applied maths u learn to solve problems and get a logical minded nd blah blah which is useful in ones life and looks good on cvs..( does it even make any sense?)

Applied maths is one of the best subjects for life. That's why i'm keeping my applied maths book. I can refer to it in any tricky situations...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Also, if you're doing physics it'll be really helpful for some sections. Even though I didn't actually count applied maths in the end, I still think it was worth it because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Best subject ever......

(but then again I'm studying Maths in college!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement