Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an Applied Maths book?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Is there an Applied Maths book? If so, would you recommend it and where can I get it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

"Fundamental Applied Mathematics" by Oliver Murphy.

Most good schoolbookshops should have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

There's two, Fundamental Applied Mathematics by Oliver Murphy and Applied Mathematics Leaving Cert by Kevin Cinliffe.

Any bookshop that does school books should be able to order them for you no problem if they don't already have them in stock. I got FAM in Eason and they had the other one too.

I didn't have an App Math teacher and got an A just using FAM, so I'd say it's pretty decent. From what I can gather, the other isn't as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Check out schoolbookexchange.ie to see if anyone's giving one away second hand. No point buying a book new if someone else is getting rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

i agree with the guys above

surpisingly tho,,my teacher don't use an applied maths book at all....
    hmmm....

well, everyone does phsyics xpt me..so the kinda already know all the formulas and concept and stuff..but i don't...thats why i needed the book

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanigamadan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

I got "Fundamental Applied Mathematics" by Oliver Murphy. 32 Euros!

I'm not sure if I'll keep it.

I'm doing Ordinary Level.

The book does not distinguish what questions are higher and what questions are ordinary. Also, nobody else in my class is using a book. All we have is sheets with questions on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Signature wrote: »
    I got "Fundamental Applied Mathematics" by Oliver Murphy. 32 Euros!

I'm not sure if I'll keep it.

I'm doing Ordinary Level.

The book does not distinguish what questions are higher and what questions are ordinary. Also, nobody else in my class is using a book. All we have is sheets with questions on them.
    I believe it does. The questions and chapters with an asterix * beside them are higher level only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

32 euro? Rip off. You can get them second hand for half that.

But yeah as alan4cult says, the asterix bits are HL. Some chapters are entirely asterix, ie differential equations, so at OL you don't need to look at them at all.

alan4cult wrote: »
    I believe it does. The questions and chapters with an asterix * beside them are higher level only.
    But yeah as alan4cult says, the asterix bits are HL. Some chapters are entirely asterix, ie differential equations, so at OL you don't need to look at them at all.

Thanks. I only noticed the asterisk thing a few minutes ago. :)

32 euro? Rip off. You can get them second hand for half that.

Aye. Didn't know my mam was getting it today.

But nobody else in the class is using it and it should be some help and worth having.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

The brown book is great if you have a teacher. However, there are a lot of concepts that arent explained. I would advise any student that is doing applied maths to get their hands on aidan roantrees notes. They explain all the topics in depth, theres about 50 or so questions on each topic with solutions! I had to teach myself applied maths in a year and i would not have gotten an A1 without his notes!

Im a huge physics nerd though!!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

The brown book is great if you have a teacher. However, there are a lot of concepts that arent explained. I would advise any student that is doing applied maths to get their hands on aidan roantrees notes. They explain all the topics in depth, theres about 50 or so questions on each topic with solutions! I had to teach myself applied maths in a year and i would not have gotten an A1 without his notes!

Im a huge physics nerd though!!!! :P

Where would you get these notes?

Jay P wrote: »
    Where would you get these notes?

I got them from the christmas grinds at the Institute of education! Ive allready given mine away to a friend. Sorry! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I got them from the christmas grinds at the Institute of education! Ive allready given mine away to a friend. Sorry! :(

Dammit! I'll go on looking...

Jay P wrote: »
    Dammit! I'll go on looking...

Defenitely do. They're excellent notes. I think the topics covered were Linear Motion, Relative Velocity, Projectiles, Particle Dynamics and Collisions.
    Theres also help for applied maths students at http://www.examsupport.ie/subjects.php?cat=27

The notes at http://skoool.ie/examcentre_senior.asp?id=2607 are worth checking out too.

And Im not sure if he still does this, but if you stick €10 in a stamped addressed envelope to Oliver Murphy, Belvedere College, Great Denmark Street, Dublin he will send you back a little booklet with all the answers to previous examinations.

Hope thats of some help to you.

Advertisement