Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You will be OK with what you have. I would get a presta-schrader adapter (around €1.50 from your local bike shop) so you can pump up easily at any petrol station (careful now.) This is what I did in Spain anyway and I was inflating/deflating on a daily basis (deflate off road, inflate on road.)

I have plenty of experience with punctures :D and I have always done fine with mini-pump plus optional top-up at the petrol station. If touring in any case I doubt you are using ultra-narrow tyres and won't be looking to hit 100PSI+ in any case.

Having said that the frame pump will probably work quicker and better than your mini-pump so while I don't think you _need_ it if you want it there is certainly no harm.

Where are you going out of interest? Planning a week or so long tour in southern France myself for next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

This isn't the exact route but not far from it...

http://www.route-grandes-alpes.com/pages/home/index.php

I can imagine a lot of Johnny Cash going through my head on this holiday
    "i focus on the pain the only thing that's real...."

Right then. I'm retracting my conception that you are doing this on a touring bike with wide tyres so :D 700km or thereabouts? How long you planning on taking? What sort of bike/equipment?

It seems a little hilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

blorg wrote: »
    Right then. I'm retracting my conception that you are doing this on a touring bike with wide tyres so :D 700km or thereabouts? How long you planning on taking? What sort of bike/equipment?

It seems a little hilly.

This bike http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2005/archive/520

I have a guide book that breaks it into 12 days. I am away for 15 days and plan on Cycling Geneva to Thonon les Bains (which is the first day in the guide book) the morning we land.
    Daily distances are between 50 and 80ks.

Here is the guide book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/1852845511/ref=sib_dp_ptu#reader-page
    Happy to lend you the book for your trip.

Plan on rear panniers only with a change of clothes, bike spares and a tooth brush . No camping gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    Planning a week or so long tour in southern France myself for next month.

Jaysus, I'm planning one too... where you off too ;)

• Advertisement

Jaysus, I'm planning one too... where you off too ;)
    Heh, we were thinking of starting from Rodez- this is seperate from October and will be at a much more gentle pace (and with me carrying everything) :D

Advertisement