Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axsus Eee PC with Eircom Netopia router ( Cant connect )

Options
  • 14-08-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I bought a mini laptop Eee PC and Im trying to connect wireless. I click on the Eircom connection and enter the WEP code as the connection is locked. But the status always says pending. I have connected to other networks so I know its not an issue with the laptop. Is there anything I need to reconfigure on the Eircom router to allow me to connect other than the WEP code??

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dellas wrote: »
    Hi guys I bought a mini laptop Eee PC and Im trying to connect wireless. I click on the Eircom connection and enter the WEP code as the connection is locked. But the status always says pending. I have connected to other networks so I know its not an issue with the laptop. Is there anything I need to reconfigure on the Eircom router to allow me to connect other than the WEP code??

Many thanks

You should change the netopia's security to wpa easier to use and more secure anyways. http://192.168.1.254 will allow you access the router settings - change the security to wpa change the password save your settings and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

as dub45 said, switch to wpa, usually if it says pending it's a problem with the code entered, could you be entering the wrong key?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Hi thanks for the replies. I actually double checked the WEP key buy going into the router and it still did not work. Will try the WPA thing and hopefully that will work. It wont affect the other 2 PC's connected to it by cable will it?? I dont want to mess up the network. By changing to WPA does that mean that you no longer need a WEP key? Just a password?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

wireless security will have no effect on wired computers. using wpa (pre shared key) you use at least a 20 letter key, preferably a completely randomly generated one, there are plenty of online generators out there. A random one not based on works or just subbing in numbers for letters will be a lot more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Thanks I kind of think its more to do something with my laptop now as I have read som other people have had issues with Eee PC's connecting to WEP and WPA. I have tried to connect both ways with the router configured on WPA and its original WEP settings so I think I have to try find a software upgrade for the Linux based system I have installed or maybe install Win XP on my Eee PC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement