Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Mojitos in Dublin?

• 14-08-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any ideas where I might find the best mojitos in Dublin?

I've heard Saba does the best, there's got to be a better place? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I just had a rather nice one in the Champagne Bar in Ron Blacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I'll be up around there so I'll check one out there, see if its any good. ;)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Venu does pretty impressive ones also - although service can be slow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why have Mojitos gotten so popular in Ireland in the last year?

Where they featured in a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly book?

Anyway, I've had them in the bar in the Fitzwilliam Hotel on the Green and they were quite nice. But having said that, when I'm out and I start to think having cocktails is a good idea my judgement doesn't tend to be at it's best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

bella cuba is a cuban restaurant in ballsbridge terrace they do lovely mojitos and daquiris, the food is graet too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Porterhouse Central aint bad either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Porterhouse Central does nice Mojitos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

That Japanese restaurant/bar place off Georges Street, Ukiyo, does a very nice one. Probably spelt it's name wrong

Krystal does a nice one according to my mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Anywhere where they make them with soda is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

i had one in the porterhouse on parliment street which i can only say was shocking, it was a pint of flat sparkling water with lumps of brown sugar and green leaves, no mint, no alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

When I worked in the Clarence Hotel, in the Octagon Bar, they used to do a really good mojito, lots of fresh mint from the kitchens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I hate making them. Often make loads at the weekends. Pain in the ass. Don't even like them. Blugh!!! But, i do make a nice one according to customers :)

When I worked in the Clarence Hotel, in the Octagon Bar, they used to do a really good mojito, lots of fresh mint from the kitchens.

Aren't they €18? Feck that. Most Mojitos I've had use fresh mint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

First off thanks for all the replys! We ended up having an excellent mojito in the Morrison Hotel. They do the Grande Royale Mojito, its expensive but worth a try if you like mojitos. :D

We also went across the road to the Octagon bar and had another really nice mojito in there but out of the 2 the one in the Morrison hotels was the best!

Grande Royale Mojito
    Matusalem Gran Reserve Rum, Fresh Mint, Brown Cane Sugar, Fresh Lime and Champagne Pannier.

cheers :pac:

WindSock wrote: »
    Aren't they €18? Feck that. Most Mojitos I've had use fresh mint.
    I haven't worked there in 8 years. Are they really that price now? I thought they were a tad overpriced at £6 back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Anywhere where they make them with soda is not good.

Aren't they supposed to be topped with soda water ? :confused:
    i had one in the porterhouse on parliment street which i can only say was shocking, it was a pint of flat sparkling water with lumps of brown sugar and green leaves, no mint, no alcohol

I've had two there. One was about 3 months ago on a Thursday when they're a fiver - way too much ice , no flavour. Second was last week - mint wasn't fresh and again just not enough flavour! I could tell the woman making it hated making them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Easy!
    Jack Nealon's on Caple Street...

Any ideas as to why mojitos are so expensive ?
    Mint - €2 for a large bag
    Lime - €.40 each (most bars have large supplies of lime anyways)
    Sugar or simple syrup - can't be that expensive
    soda water - usually on tap
    shot of rum, usually bacardi - €4-€5 ?

probably labour!!!

Jack Nealons....

studiorat wrote: »
    probably labour!!!

Jack Nealons....

Are bar staff paid by the hour or by the number of drinks they serve ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

It would be 1.5 shots of white rum, not Bacardi. Usualy Havana Club Anéjo Blanco.
    Limes are expensive, over here it general costs $20/Kg. Its winter time now so its hard to get green limes unless they're imported (often from America) and that can drive the costs up to $25/kg.
    Mint isn't expensive, but some poor bastard in the bar gets the job of plucking the mint leaves from the stalks.
    Sugar isn't expensive of course.

At the end of the day, making cocktails takes a couple of min and thats why the cost is at least double the price of a normal drink

Our labour cost would be lower than Ireland's, but we still charge $15 for a Mojito

Are bar staff paid by the hour or by the number of drinks they serve ?

I meant in a normal place like above, not in one of those places with the where the office crowds go.
    I guess the hour, but a man could serve a couple of pints in the time it takes to crush mint etc... So they are going to need extra staff I reckon. A bar that needs say two staff is going to need three if they are going to start hucking out cocktails if you ask me.

I haven't worked there in 8 years. Are they really that price now? I thought they were a tad overpriced at £6 back in the day.

According to a friend, yes. Haven't experienced it first hand myself though,
    Aren't they supposed to be topped with soda water ? :confused:

According to a bar man last week, no. Just alcohol, lime, mint and crushed ice. He Crushed them all together with a pestle thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

The Mint Bar under that hotel at corner of westmoreland and College street (just forgotten name-big posh place)
    Ukiyo's ones are great when you get it with the early bird around 15 euro for cocktail and food.

ps If you need loads of herbs/mint go to Garden of Eden on Arran street or St Michan's street (up by the fruit market in smithfield so its probably only open mornings)
    kilo is 12 euro and 100G bags 1.50 each

edit: just realised there an entire thread on that in Beer and spirits sorry

According to a bar man last week, no. Just alcohol, lime, mint and crushed ice. He Crushed them all together with a pestle thingy.

A quick search of youtube shows many different variations on how to make a mojito....

Personally I find it too tangy and bitter without the soda water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A quick search of youtube shows many different variations on how to make a mojito....

Personally I find it too tangy and bitter without the soda water
    Don't think it's soda water that goes into one, I think it's syrup water, i.e. sugary water.

RDM_83 wrote: »
    The Mint Bar under that hotel at corner of westmoreland and College street (just forgotten name-big posh place)
    That's the Westin Hotel (for anyone wondering)

Advertisement