Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coarse Angling in the Galway area

Options
  • 14-08-2008 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else on here is into coarse fishing in the Galway area. Any good spots to fish, any news on fish sizes, tips etc. etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

i would also be interested in info on this, although the season is probably soon over, if someone knew of a nice fishing spot for someone new i'd be grateful!
    Vulcan57 maybe we can meet up for some fishing and talk aviation if you'd like! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Hi Tracker-man. Fancy you being interested in fishing aswell, what a small world. There is no official season with coarse fishing in Ireland, however the fish are usually harder to catch during the winter months. I usually go fishing with a freind of mine along with my son (combat5) most sundays. For the last few times we have been going out to Ballyquirke lake, nice little spot. You do need a car for that, though, I don't drive so have to rely on others if I am going any distance. In the city, we usually fish the Eglington canal, quite a few roach and perch in there can be good fun although nothing very big. I also like to fish for pike usually on the river corrib. Id love to meet up some time, it would be good to put a face to the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭pokerkingsni

Mind if i jump in here? I'm interested in a wee bit of fishing in Galway. What's the deal in Salthill? I've seen a few people fishing off the rocks. Any good there?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Mind if i jump in here? I'm interested in a wee bit of fishing in Galway. What's the deal in Salthill? I've seen a few people fishing off the rocks. Any good there?

only if you want to catch mackerel (at the moment)
    but its not really coarse fishing though.. (slight lack of fresh water)

if its sea fishing your interested in put up a new post and we'll help

Went out to Ballyquirke lake today in the hope of doing some fishing but it had broken its banks and we could'nt get near it for flooding. Great day for fishing as well. Also tried the river, but that was impossible because of the flood of water flowing down there. Hopefully it will all dry out a little this week and might get some in next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 andrey

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Went out to Ballyquirke lake today in the hope of doing some fishing but it had broken its banks and we could'nt get near it for flooding. Great day for fishing as well. Also tried the river, but that was impossible because of the flood of water flowing down there. Hopefully it will all dry out a little this week and might get some in next weekend.

I've tried the river couple of times but no success.
    One time I cought a small pike and nothing else. Can you recommend a good place for pike in a city area?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

andrey wrote: »
    .... Can you recommend a good place for pike in a city area?

I wish I could do that.
    But beginners kill pike both intentionally, and by mishandling while unhooking. The beginner pike anglers are most numerous near cities. The fishing declines when the big pike are removed or dead. Due to these angler's activities there never will be a good pike fishery in a city area.

The best you can get, is to locate a pike lake not too far from a city where they are difficult to catch due to some physical feature of the lake.

Then the beginners don't catch and kill so many pike and in these cases the pike near a city can achieve good sizes.

Reading past Irish specimen fish committee reports will give you an idea of which waters are capable of producing big pike. This is a good starting point.

Observing the presence or absence of pike killing, is another good indication of which of these potentially good waters, are currently produce big pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dannyhandy

One time I cought a small pike and nothing else. Can you recommend a good place for pike in a city area?

what time of the day did you try catching pike in ballyquike?

pike are slow to catch but easy if you study there habits and habitats

Pike in the city area? Tis possible, I've caught pike on the river, but it is difficult because of the flow, float is out. Ledgered dead bait is what I use. Try places that are around cover, like reed beds, obviously not in them but on the edge. There is an inlet near Terryland castle, the derelict building at the eastern end on the new bridge, that might be a possible spot. I've fished it once, but had nothing, must try it again some time.

dannyhandy wrote: »
    what time of the day did you try catching pike in ballyquike?

pike are slow to catch but easy if you study there habits and habitats

I prefer evening.

• Advertisement

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Pike in the city area? Tis possible, I've caught pike on the river, but it is difficult because of the flow, float is out. Ledgered dead bait is what I use. Try places that are around cover, like reed beds, obviously not in them but on the edge. There is an inlet near Terryland castle, the derelict building at the eastern end on the new bridge, that might be a possible spot. I've fished it once, but had nothing, must try it again some time.

Thanks. I'll try.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dannyhandy

you should try fishing for pike at night or early in the morning when fish are most active. do you drive?

dannyhandy wrote: »
    do you drive?
    Yes.
    I've tried today. Caught one big perch. No pikes:-)
    I used rapala's lures.

Advertisement