Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you getting a recheck??

Options
  • 14-08-2008 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Loads of people here seem to be getting rechecks. Im just wondering for what purpose - personal satisfaction, to make a points band, or simply because you pushed for points for collage.

I got 590, and some of my friends say I should get History rechecked to make 600 for scholarship (and boasting :rolleyes:) purposes. I wonder are there many people in such as a position (for example 495, want 500) around?

I dont think I will btw!!

Why are you getting a recheck?? 47 votes

I really need points for collage
    0% 0 votes
    I feel I deserve more for some subjects (ex. I feel I am an A1 geog student, not A2 as I got)
    14% 7 votes
    I want to reach a points band (395>400, 545>550 etc)
    72% 34 votes
    Im just so smart that Im not getting any rechecks!!!
    12% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I haven't decided to get any rechecked. I'm gonna have a look at business and English. I'd only get English re-checked if there's a mistake in the calculations, because it'd be very hard for me to decide whether a long piece of writing should have been worth more.

I might get business re-checked, but only if I see somewhere that I'm very confident I should have got more.

And yeah, I got 395 and 400 would be cool hah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

turgon wrote: »
    Loads of people here seem to be getting rechecks. Im just wondering for what purpose - personal satisfaction, to make a points band, or simply because you pushed for points for collage.

I got 590, and some of my friends say I should get History rechecked to make 600 for scholarship (and boasting :rolleyes:) purposes. I wonder are there many people in such as a position (for example 495, want 500) around?

mmm me too, got 590 also. Was gonna (well had a brief thought of) get apt rechecked, for teh glory (plus I thought I did better). But decided I was just being ridiculous. If you got what you need there's no point.

I am gonna apply for as many grants as possible now that I know I have a good score. Hopefully it's not too late. 590 is plenty for that anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Don't forget about the risk that you might actually go down, a bit rare but still happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

i won't vote until you put it "i need a higher grade as it's a marticulation subject"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭IceICEbaby

haha, im doing it to push up into the next "band"
    Got 395, which i wasnt too happy about (faaar too many C's)
    but hey! its enough for what i want:rolleyes:

Gettin English re-checked though, ended up with C2 and i was gutted!!! wanted an A there defo.
    The poetry, i admit, was a disaster on the day, but i was still expecting at least a B....:(
    Possibly will get business re-checked too, i thought it went great but came out with a C1....grrr

Anyyway, congrats on your results, pretty amazin scores i must say:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    i won't vote until you put it "i need a higher grade as it's a marticulation subject"
    same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

KeyLimePie wrote: »

Sorry forgot about that. I cant seem to edit the poll though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr. Blah

I'm looking at 5 subjects and am more than likely getting 4 rechecked.
    Reason: Need more points. I did worse than I did in my Pre and based on what happened in my Pre judged by how I felt I did in the real exam I thought I would climb up in the grades and not drop down in some of my best!

E.g. Never finished the Business Pre (60 marks worth left blank) and had to guess a few answers but got a B3 from a tough correcting teacher. The real thing - didn't have to guess and answered everything. Got a C1!

Got 60% in my Art Batik in the Pre (it was brutal!) and got a B1 overall. Exactly what I wanted came up in the Art History in the real thing and my Batik was VERY much improved. Got a B2.

In LCVP for the Pre I handed up an unfinished project (no CV at all!) and got a Distinction (84% I think overall?). Finished and corrected errors found in the Pre and polished up work... Dropped to a Merit in the real exam! (And the test paper was easy considering I do Honours Business so I doubt that's the problem but will check when I look at them)

And the other two I will look at are English and Maths (I won't appeal Maths unless I spot something obviously wrong but will most likely appeal English also - I am intrigued how my secret lesbian love affair for my english essay was marked ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

I feel like I should of passed the subject that I'm getting rechecked. I got an E and saying I was shocked by that. I came out of it convinced I had actually done well. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I'm going to have a look at Biology and German, only because I really thought they were definite A1's. Although I won't get them rechecked unless there's a glaring obvious mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pedanticwretch

I wanna move up a points band. At 495, want the 500 purely because I set that target for myself and it would give me a huge satisfaction achieving it. Also, got an A2 in Business want the A1. At worst I'm only small amount of marks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭spillit67

I have my points(i hope) but i feel that i did better in geog than i got-C1. Sure there's no harm viewing anyway i highly doubt ill go down but if my teacher works out i might i wont. I also want to see my A scripts as well as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

College....

I'm gettin one or two rechecked just because I thought I did better in them. I wasn't going to originally because I got 60points more than I needed but sure it's the principle of it.

Oh and if I got 590 I'd have it rechecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I got the points I needed for my course but im still going to look over some of my papers...some just out of curiosity but I feel I deserved higher in some subjects and even though I got the points I wanted I want to make sure I got the grades I deserved...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

Does anyone know how likely it is for a recheck to result in a grade falling?
    and also if you fall in points after you have accepted your offer and you know longer have sufficient points will you drop to the next course on your CAO??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

NU8 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how likely it is for a recheck to result in a grade falling?

Much more rechecks result in a grade rising than falling. But people aren't likely to appeal if they're at say 50% and they were given 3 extra marks in error so it's not like the statistics tell us they're reluctant to decrease grades or anything. Just view your script and you should be able to make a good judgement about whether you'll go up or not. A lot of mistakes in marking will be obvious stuff like not correcting a question or adding up wrong.
    NU8 wrote: »
    and also if you fall in points after you have accepted your offer and you know longer have sufficient points will you drop to the next course on your CAO??

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pedanticwretch

only about 9 people dropped down last year after a re-check. That was 9 out of 10,000. There is a possibility of going UP from say a B2 to an A1/2 but the likelihood of dropping from an A1 down to a C1 is as good as impossible. The most you'd go down from a recheck would be 5/10 points. Put it this way, if you get your course by 5 points then don't run the risk of re-checking!!!

To the second part, there are some horror stories about losing your course so don't think your safe yet! A friend of mine who was aiming for Medicine got 565 in the LC. Enough for RCoS at the time. She was offered a place but would not accept it as she was determined to study Medicine at Trinity which was 575. Didn't accept the RCoS offer and got the re-check. She then lost 5 points in French and ended up repeating!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Just-A-Phase

I went down to my school with the recheck form today, as i want to get english rechecked, while talking to the person dealing with this down there, they said that even if you go up a grade or w/e that it makes no difference to the cao and your college choice for this year and you'd have to wait and apply again next year for the additional points to be recognised. luckily im not relying on points, got enough for my course, just feel i deserved higher in english. does anyone know if she was right about this or wrong as previous to today i wasn't aware of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I went down to my school with the recheck form today, as i want to get english rechecked, while talking to the person dealing with this down there, they said that even if you go up a grade or w/e that it makes no difference to the cao and your college choice for this year and you'd have to wait and apply again next year for the additional points to be recognised. luckily im not relying on points, got enough for my course, just feel i deserved higher in english. does anyone know if she was right about this or wrong as previous to today i wasn't aware of this?

Firstly I was told that only around 2% or less go down in grades...

In answer to the above she is right and wrong if your paper is rechecked and you get enough points for the course you get offered a place...however that would be six weeks into the course in most cases(trinity would be an exception)which means you could be six weeks behind on notes so most students just re-apply...

hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

To the second part, there are some horror stories about losing your course so don't think your safe yet! A friend of mine who was aiming for Medicine got 565 in the LC. Enough for RCoS at the time. She was offered a place but would not accept it as she was determined to study Medicine at Trinity which was 575. Didn't accept the RCoS offer and got the re-check. She then lost 5 points in French and ended up repeating!!!!!!!!

The question was whether or not you'll have your offer taken off you after accepting it should your points drop. Had she accepted RCoS and subsequently dropped to 560 then she would not lose her place there.

You will not be asked to leave your course when the appeals come out if your points drop below the cut-off point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Bajingo wrote: »
    Firstly I was told that only around 2% or less go down in grades...

Much less.. According to the Herald :P
    It was the only article I could find but they say:
    The statistical probability of being downgraded is very slight, based on the evidence of the past few years. Last year, 2007, the SEC reported just three downgrades.
    http://www.herald.ie/lifestyle/take-care-if-appealing-your-results-1453839.html

I'm really happy with my results but I'm getting my geo B1 re-checked as I felt it was a certain A1.. Just doing it as I felt I deserved it tbh.. Can't hurt..
    Plus, according to the same article, of 722 appeals, 212 were upgraded last year.. that's nearly 30% which is a bit of a joke but meh..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

i'm getting English , Maths and Physics re-checked. i'm 5 pts away from my second choice and 15 from my first.
    hopefully the points for my first choice go down and i'll gain a few in the re-check!

In reference to the cao thing, there are usually a few places left on a course(depending on its popularity) as some people drop out or dont take the offer.so you can go in late in the term or they willlkeep a place for you for next year

I got my third option which is luckily in the same college as my first, so if i get enough points i can just switch courses .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm getting a recheck because I was 5 points away from the NUIM scholarship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

I'm thinking about getting history and french re checked..

I got a d2 in french and a c1 in history.

But i can't afford for my points to drop and i don't need more but i really think i deserve at least a b3 in history definitely..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

I'm getting history rechecked - I think the B2 was ill deserved!!!!
    I left the exam hall expecting an A2, if I was lucky A1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Whatever about the 590 points,An A2 in History is absolutely excellent.It is damn near impossible to get an A1 in history Imo!

Fair play to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

You will not be asked to leave your course when the appeals come out if your points drop below the cut-off point.

Thanks for clearing that up. I need an extra 5 points for a scholarship but it's gonna be tight whether I get the course I want or not. Just needed to know if I was taking a risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mermy

Yeah Im kind of in the same position got 580 but an A2 in history, I got an A1 in the mocks ...I only need 350 pts tho so I dont need to recheck,
    Im going to view my script tho to see what I got in each essay and my special topic, if Im really close to an A1 I might send it back...:rolleyes: Not sure though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

GA361 wrote: »
    Whatever about the 590 points,An A2 in History is absolutely excellent.It is damn near impossible to get an A1 in history Imo!

Fair play to ya

Well got 89% in the mocks, and 5ther were at least two other As in class, on A1. I think there is like a 15% A rate nationwide.
    Mermy wrote: »
    Yeah Im kind of in the same position got 580 but an A2 in history, I got an A1 in the mocks ...I only need 350 pts tho so I dont need to recheck,

Funny, cas my course is around the same points. Im going to call up to my history teacher tomorrow and see what he says. I would feel like such an elitist arrogant prick though to get it rechecked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

BUMP

Did everyone who viewed their papers so far get given the marking scheme in the school?
    or will I have to print out one?

Advertisement