Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

financial entitlements for a masters.

Options
  • 14-08-2008 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I'd appreciate it a lot if any could answer a couple of questions for me from experience, or from just being in the know.

I'm applying for a masters at CIT after completing a BA degree, I've been working for the summer and the job is ending in a couple of weeks, so the best thing for me at the moment is the masters add on to the course. Especially since there is a potential job in the pipline possibly in 12months and I'd like to keep the ball rolling by continuing to upgrade my skills in the meantime.

What I'd like to know specifically is:

Am I entitled to the maintenance grant? (I thinks it's from the VEC), I have a low income for the previous year as I was in full time education.

Am I entitled to Back To Education?

If I'm not entitled to back to Education then does anyone think that taking on a Masters and part time jobs unrealistic or would it be to much of a workload?

Thankyou.

Comments

Hi there, I'd appreciate it a lot if any could answer a couple of questions for me from experience, or from just being in the know.

I'm applying for a masters at CIT after completing a BA degree, I've been working for the summer and the job is ending in a couple of weeks, so the best thing for me at the moment is the masters add on to the course. Especially since there is a potential job in the pipline possibly in 12months and I'd like to keep the ball rolling by continuing to upgrade my skills in the meantime.

What I'd like to know specifically is:

Am I entitled to the maintenance grant? (I thinks it's from the VEC), I have a low income for the previous year as I was in full time education.

If you go from being an Undergraduate student in 2007/8 to being a Postgraduate student in 2008/9, the Council/VEC will more than likely assess you on both your income and your parents' income, assuming you weren't independent when you started college (according to them, so you'd have to be a mature student when you entered college amongst other things).

So you may be, but it'll depend both on your parents'/guardians' income and your own income (and your spouse's if applicable).
    Am I entitled to Back To Education?

If I'm not entitled to back to Education then does anyone think that taking on a Masters and part time jobs unrealistic or would it be to much of a workload?

Thankyou.

BTEA is fairly specific about being eligible for it - some people who are unemployed for a certain period would be eligible for it. It's worth flicking through some of the links in my signature since that's what I'll just be copying and pasting anyways if I keep trying at 1am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thanks, I recieved a letter today from the VEC which is a continuation from previous grant entitlements stating that I am elegible for the grant, I assume this goes for the Masters if I get it. As far as the BTEA is concerned, I think I don't need to worry about income as a job has come up as well.

Thanks for reply.

Advertisement