Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you split the rent?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Ok I'm moving into a 3 bed house near town. It's 2 couples and me, and the house is 2 doubles and 1 single. I'll be in the single naturally.
    The rent will be 2250. The 2 double bedroomss are the same size so they'll pay the same, but should I pay less? The single is fairly small.

Never rented before so don't really know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Maybe some variation of 800, 800, 500?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I was in a similiar position before, and yes, I paid less as I had the box room.

Be sure to know what you are going to be paying before you move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Of course you should pay less. Possibly not as little as €450 which is one fifth of the rent. Maybe somewhere between €500 and €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's up to the renters, but yes - you should pay less, it's a single room and theirs are doubles. Are either of the doubles ensuite?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Have a look at Victor's thread entitled the equitable houseshare- it should give you a few ideas. Link here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

no, no ensuites in the rooms.
    Actually surprised with the responces so far. Split 5 ways its 450 each, so I was thinking about 400 for me and split the rest between the other 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You can look at it that way - most won't.
    They have to share this space with each other - of course that is their choice.

There are 3 rooms, split equally that's 750 per room.

Per room/per person - The answer is in the middle ground.

What have they said about it thus far?

But my room will be half the size of the others. I can afford a double room in another house but I want to move into this one as it's a lovely house and they're all my good friends so I'm kind of taking a hit taking this room as they couldn't afford the house without me, but I don't want to live with strangers.
    We haven't spoken of this thus far, we just presumed 5 way split

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Split it 5 ways.. The living space takes up the largest portion of the property and this will be shared equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But you get a room to yourself. Are the double rooms more than twice the size of the single? If you pay €400, they are paying €462.50 each or €925 per room.

I would suggest something like €500 + €437.5 x 4 (thats €875 per room for the others).

€2250 is a lot for a 3-bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Victor wrote: »
    But you get a room to yourself. Are the double rooms more than twice the size of the single? If you pay €400, they are paying €462.50 each or €925 per room.

I would suggest something like €500 + €437.5 x 4 (thats €875 per room for the others).

But they have choosen to move in as a couple.

500 + 450 x 4 is reasonable.

my room will be (proabably) single bed, wardrobe, that's it. No space for anything else really. 2250 is a lot but the house is really really nice and the area is really central but quiet aswell so quite rare

Victor wrote: »

Its a shocking amount for a 3 bed- where is it?
    Going rate for a 3 bed fairly central is almost 4-500 less than this- and perhaps 1000 less in the Dublin suburbs.......

just off harrington street, few mins from grafton street. lovely house, well worth it i think

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

When I was in a 3-bed, it was 1500e a month. We split it: 700 for the main bed which I shared, so 350e each (it had an ensuite), 450 for the smaller double, and 350 for the box room (shared a bathroom with the double).

just off harrington street, few mins from grafton street. lovely house, well worth it i think

Everyone to themselves- it seems incredibly expensive to me (then again, I hadn't factored in a Grafton Street address.........)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Jeez €2250 for a 3 bed is madness :eek:

I just moved from a 3 bed back in april and it was €1800 a month and that was a lovely house.. most I know are under the €2k a month rent..

But as others have said, I think about €500 is a reasonable amount for your own room considering everyone else is sharing a room..

Tox

it's a D2 address and a lovely house with 5 people so the rent is cheap as far as I'm concerned. 5 minutes walk from where I work so it'd be criminal to pass it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the fact they are couiples is irrelivant in my opinion

you have your own room if you bring someone over for the weekend would youexpect to pay extra ?

Advertisement