Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

500eu for a Cat.? dare or...?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

So i need Cat. for mine merc clk200 . I gone to advanced pitstops, and they said , they will do all the job + part for 500eu.

so is it good price or thats a rip off?

If this is a rip off, maybe anyone know any good plays in mallow area to do it? North part of county cork.

Thx lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll assume you mean the whole job for €500.....? Are they using a genuine MB part or a spurious part? If it's a genuine part then it's not too bad a price - if it's a spurious part then maybe get a few other prices just to compare.

I used to use Advance a lot and found them reasonably OK, but from time to time some of the information, advice and estimates are, to say the least, astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

It sounds reasonable if its a merc part and includes labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well .. i doubt it will be original mercides part, but if i go to mercides dealer and order it, i will leave my wallet, my pants, my left kidnay and donor card to them for cat....

And yeah he said for part+job = 500eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

I would avoid fitting non-OEM parts. For €500 incl. labour, there is no chance that they are original MB/OEM equipment.

Google universal cats and the problems they can cause before getting it done I'd say.

(And forgetting for a moment that come resale time you've been maintaining your mercedes with Aldi parts!).

Get the part numbers and check the prices from the parts desk. It may be expensive but that it the price of proper maintenance for an MB. You could get them fitted anywhere.

Pete4779 wrote: »
    I would avoid fitting non-OEM parts. For €500 incl. labour, there is no chance that they are original MB/OEM equipment.

Google universal cats and the problems they can cause before getting it done I'd say.

(And forgetting for a moment that come resale time you've been maintaining your mercedes with Aldi parts!).

Get the part numbers and check the prices from the parts desk. It may be expensive but that it the price of proper maintenance for an MB. You could get them fitted anywhere.

You mean just go to dealer? To be honest he was cheking in the catalogs and then told me price of it, its still be universal? I will have to go to cork city for dealer place.

What do you mean aldi parts m8? i am not that good at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tony71187

I had a similar problem for the NCT, i got priced 400 for the job in a big garage but instead I got a universal catalytic converter from motor factors in Charleville for 130. I then got it welded and the 02censor refitted at a local mechanics for 50. Worked out fine. That was for a Honda though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

OP is contemplating fitting a unversal weld in cat to a CLK 200. Am I missing something here??? 500 Euro for a weld in cat??? Do you get KY Jelly with that or do they charge you extra for supplying that???

tony71187 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem for the NCT, i got priced 400 for the job in a big garage but instead I got a universal catalytic converter from motor factors in Charleville for 130. I then got it welded and the 02censor refitted at a local mechanics for 50. Worked out fine. That was for a Honda though

what do you call big garage m8? Btw if universal costed you 130? so you get proper one for 400eu? no? or you just pay extra money, becouse its big garage m8?

I have found very nice mechanics in fermoy, they can fit it no problem, and they wount charge a fortune, but problem is , i dont know where to order it around here..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

One of the lads was told by a main dealer his cat would be 400EUR. He went onto a UK site that only did cats and got one for 40Stg. Got it fitted for 40EUR by his local mechanic. Google it.......

<edit>Forgot to say - it was a genuine part, not an OEM.</edit>

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Spurious cats sometimes don't last pissing time. I know someone who put two of them into a Camry within 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tony71187

The garage may have been pricing a genuine mercedes cat for you due to it being that price??

The spurious universal cat can be got from a motor factors for 130 and has done my car fine, but saying that ive only had it 2 months.

A small local garage with say 2 workers often works out cheaper than a big dealership i have generally found...

Well thx alot lads, ill try google it after work, maybe find something in uk. Thought maybe i even go to Advance pit stops and do it there.

Ofc i will ask what kind of cat they will be fitting.

Thx again lads!

Advertisement