Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Edited Movies

Options
  • 14-08-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

I've recently discovered a site (which I won't link because they do have torrents and links to these movies) which catalogues Fan edited movies, and it's my new favourite site!
    Few examples:
    -Return Of The Jedi with no Ewoks! All the scenes where an Ewok appears have been removed!
    -Pearl Harbor with the love triangle cut out, making it a more action orientated movie
    -Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair The two films back to back with the firsts end credits cut out

As you can see, they go from extreme to subtle, and there's a good selection.
    Some of the ones I've watched are great, (Kill Bill above, Spider-man 3 with no disco dancing, The Clone Wars cartoon series edited into one long film, and a fantastic edit of A New Hope that surpasses the special edition do-over, Greedo doesn't get a shot off in this one!)
    Some just have the deleted scenes from DVDs added in and stuff like that, and they range from professional to amateur, I'll post the link if a mod gives the ok (although it shouldn't be too hard to find for you Google monkeys).

Anyone else seen any of these?
    I always wanted to do something like it with the LOTR trilogy, edit all the extended editions together with scenes in chronological order!
    Time to get VirtualDubMod out!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Sounds cool wouldnt mind knowing what the site is.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I know someone who "De-Zionized" the Matrix Trilogy... made it a helluva lot more entertaining!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've heard of the concept before but never actually seen any examples. I'd be kind of interested in seeing Star Wars : The Phantom Edit, which was a fan-edited version of Phantom Menace with Jar Jar Binks' role all but removed, and I'm sure that would make the film more bearable (although not enough to make it actually good, sadly).

At the same time, the overall idea of fan-edits does raise an interesting question regarding the perceived ownership of the film contents. Fan-edits obviously fall foul of copyright laws and so on, but their main intention is usually to create a "better" version of the original product rather than to necessarily profit from it (although the two can quite happily go together). However, from the creator's point of view it must seem rather insulting to have someone who claims to enjoy your work turn around and say "but this is how it should have been".

I'm not saying that all creators are infallible or that an external editing influence is a bad thing, but it is dangerous to encourage the idea between fan-edits that the fans somehow know the source material/franchise "better" than the people creating it, because while that kind of dedication can be beneficial for the creators (helps sell merchandise etc) if they don't act to protect their creation (things like trademarks etc) they risk losing the ability to make money from their creation. And while I'm all for creative integrity, film-makers have to make a living and make money from their work, so it's a tricky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I've recently discovered a site (which I won't link because they do have torrents and links to these movies) which catalogues Fan edited movies, and it's my new favourite site!
    Few examples:
    -Return Of The Jedi with no Ewoks! All the scenes where an Ewok appears have been removed!
    -Pearl Harbor with the love triangle cut out, making it a more action orientated movie
    -Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair The two films back to back with the firsts end credits cut out

As you can see, they go from extreme to subtle, and there's a good selection.
    Some of the ones I've watched are great, (Kill Bill above, Spider-man 3 with no disco dancing, The Clone Wars cartoon series edited into one long film, and a fantastic edit of A New Hope that surpasses the special edition do-over, Greedo doesn't get a shot off in this one!)
    Some just have the deleted scenes from DVDs added in and stuff like that, and they range from professional to amateur, I'll post the link if a mod gives the ok (although it shouldn't be too hard to find for you Google monkeys).

Anyone else seen any of these?
    I always wanted to do something like it with the LOTR trilogy, edit all the extended editions together with scenes in chronological order!
    Time to get VirtualDubMod out!

That sounds brilliant i heard of the phantom edit but it would be class to do others, actually come to think of it a person with little scruples could make a few quid from doing that and selling them, OF COURSE NOT IF IT WAS ILLEGAL :D

EDIT: any chance of PMing me the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ive seen an edit of the ending of "the mist" wherein it matches the end of the novella. very well done actually, panning back from the car driving off into the mist to reveal a shot from space of the wole planet covered by it.

think its up on youtube.

i have to admit its a kinda fun development of the medium of cinema which i dont think anyone couldve seen coming a few years ago. makes you wonder if someday the fan edit gets more support than the real thing :)

oh and i wouldnt mind a PM of the site too if ya can :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Can i have that link too. Would like to get the clone wars series

Muchas Gracias

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

I actually did make a fan-edit of Jackson's LOTR. Of the Fellowship.

I hated that they'd destroyed the narrative structure of the book by interspersing scenes in typical movie fashion, rather than sticking with one storyline (the hobbits), and then recounting the other one (Gandalf) at the Council of Elrond. It got rid of all the suspense.

And then there was the fact that they gave that awful "History of Middle Earth" segment before the movie, so that right from the beginning, we all knew what the ring was, and how dangerous it was, and exactly what it was all about, rather than being left in the dark about it for a good while, and not even realizing its true significance until the Council, which was sorely diminished in this film, it being the narratival climax of the textual Fellowship. That's actually the magic of the book - Tolkien withholds info and keeps you guessing, rather than blurting it all out at the very beginning.

So I edited the original film so that the history segment played during Frodo and Gandalf's conversation during "A Shadow of the Past", and I edited out all of Gandalf's story segments, apart from Frodo's dream of him, right up until sitting in the bedroom in "Many Meetings" Frodo asks where he had been, and he says "I was delayed..." I put in a sequence of those scenes there.

It isn't so tidy, but it preserves much better, and surprisingly well, the narrative structure of the Tolkien version, albeit with a lot missing.

I think a similar thing could be done with the Frodo/Sam scenes all the way through the second two movies, since Book 3 deals only with Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas (and Gandalf), while Book 4 deals only with Frodo and Sam. And Books 4 and 5 follow a similar pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I did a great edit of Phantom Menace and, to be honest, it's really easy to do. I took the dvd out of the box and replaced it with A New Hope, and I enjoyed it a lot more. I'm thinking of doing the same kind of edit when Indiana Jones 4 comes out on DVD.

Advertisement