Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card Skimming in Galway City Supermarket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Strange thing was, how is 2 withdrawals of €250 from an ATM flaggable as suspicious, I could easily have been on holiday.

If there are simultaneous transactions in different countries, visa tends to stop the visa.
    It happened us when both of us were in 2 different countries at the same time... It's a bit of a nuisance but good practice! :)
    You can ring your visa customer service to let them know of your whereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The debit card frauds are still in the process of being investigated by the Gardai so it would be best not to name any shops etc at this point. You will hear the banks reiterate this point as well which is fair considering the case(s) are being still investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

To add to my c card, BoI rang me yesterdya to tell me they were blocking my laser card as a precaution and were sending me out a new one.
    The person who rang me gave me the line that they couldn't say due to Garda investigation, which is fine, I understand that.

What I am happy about is the fact that BoI seem to be acting proactively about it.
    Is anyone out there from AIB or other banks experiencing any issues and have they been contacted by their bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

As far as I know either these machines phone home or someone has to come in and pick up the chip themselves to read the details. Either way it should be eminently traceable. What I want to know is who is responsible for it? Are we talking eastern european crime gangs or local talent? Its a very complex thing to put together, requiring a lot of organisation and technical sophistication, so I would say international anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Got a call from AIB yesterday to say they had stopped my laser card & were sending out a new one today & a new pin in a couple of days.
    Told me there was an uncleared debit against my card & I should check my balance online frequently. If that or any other transactions aren't mine, I have to go into any AIB branch & fill out a fraud form to get the money refunded.
    Meantime, if I want cash, I have to take photographic ID into an AIB branch along with my existing card.

I used my laser card in a retail outlet in the west of the city for the first time last weekend........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Jugs82 wrote: »
    2 girls in the office have had calls over the last hour or so letting them know that their cards had been skimmed and in one case that a withdrawl had been made in Canada

Both shop regularly in the Knocknacarra area

Interesting, a collegue also had some "canadian" action recently, Bank contaced him yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Detectives are working on the theory that somebody in the Galway shop may have facilitated the card skimming for an Eastern European crime syndicate.

Gardaí do not believe the payment terminals were tampered with. Gardaí have recovered CCTV images of suspects from in-store cameras.
    Source

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

DeadSkin wrote: »

Woud not surprise me at all in that shop....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Great, so now we have the Russian mafia wandering the streets of Galway. Lovely.

Great, so now we have the Russian mafia wandering the streets of Galway. Lovely.

ROFL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Can someone PM me the name of this store that got skimmed?? I have an idea but would like to know for sure if I've been done aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Pm me too...Im getting kinda worried by all this....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

If this report from the IT is true, then I'm beginning to question my original suspicions as to the shop in question.
    I know someone who's card was also compromised, who does not shop there at all.
    So if it's just one shop in question, and an insider job, then it would mean trying to pin down the shops we have both used.

I have a suspect shop already in my head, but couldn't be sure, so am not willing to say anything on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CDog

Surely most of the cash registers in these big stores are under ctv surveilence all the time?? This should mean that whoever tampered with the card machines were caught on camera!

Perhaps we have to wait for the next episode of crimewatch to see the footage! Maybe the gardai should think about putting up a 'Wanted' website with footage from these and other crimes!

Just an idea sorry for wandering off topic!

CDog wrote: »
    Surely most of the cash registers in these big stores are under ctv surveilence all the time?? This should mean that whoever tampered with the card machines were caught on camera!

Perhaps we have to wait for the next episode of crimewatch to see the footage! Maybe the gardai should think about putting up a 'Wanted' website with footage from these and other crimes!

Just an idea sorry for wandering off topic!

From above
    Gardaí have recovered CCTV images of suspects from in-store cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

To be honest with both these scams coming together I can see the use of laser cards dropping for a while and people going back to the good old cash method.

If they do name the store in Galway and it does turn out to be an inside job by staff I would expect them to start losing a lot of business.

We'll all be back physically withdrawing our money from our actual banks and using cheques!!!

Tis feckin safer methinks!!!

IRONICALLY enough, I just had a call from AIB to ask could they cancel my card as they were aware that my details had been acquired as a result of this scam. Thankfully no money was taken from my account.

I am now almost certain that this was as a result of using my lasercard in said supermarket, as I rarely use the card anyway, and used it there on a once in a blue moon shop there in July!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Same happened to fiancee - AIB card got cancelled, phone call today, but luckily, they noticed before anyone could take out money...

Nothing is safe anymore...If you use the ATM, they'll get ya, if you use Laser in the shop they'll get ya, and if you withdraw money from the bank (provided you can work around those stupid bank opening times), they'll probably rob ya on the way to the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pzer

AIB as well and got the call on Tues night, i have used atm and laser in said Knocknacarra store so must be there. Nothing taken off me yet but am couple days without atm card which i dont really mind seeing as what has happened others. Think ill use cash anymore where possible. Always figured that using laser in shop where you can see the transaction happen would leave ya safe enough but apparently not........

• Advertisement

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Can someone PM me the name of this store that got skimmed?? I have an idea but would like to know for sure if I've been done aswell

See the article in Galway Indo. It names a store on Cappagh road.

well, i was told it was said supermarket, and it was too, its like the only laser transaction of mine in the last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

See the article in Galway Indo. It names a store on Cappagh road.

not sure about cappagh road, wouldnt think so.
    but i know who it is and im not afraid too name and shame then
    JOYCES in knocknacarra..
    i have a NEW LASER CARD, WHICH I HAVE USED ONCE..
    only once!! in JOYCES KNOCKNACARRA
    got a call from AIB today its been cloned... ie skimmed
    so theres only one place i used it.. joyces..
    and im calling the manager about now as well

im glad we're finally naming them, i just rang them and dint get much satisfaction 2bh.

It was very easilly done apparently, a child could have done it!! Personally as a manger id be fairly suspicious of anybody mssing with the shop tills but there you go.

I hate that shop even more now:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Considering the volume of transactions performed in a supermarket such as Joyces or Dunnes Stores you would hope to Christ that they would have safeguards against stuff like this.

If some guy comes in off the street and wants to install a terminal, would the staff not ask the management who would then check with the corporate HQ or the bank.

Presumably you woulnd just let them go ahead based on what they say.

Also when the banks do need to upgade POS equipment surley they would notify in advance to all the merchants and have a specific date and time for the exchange of machinery.

This has all led me to the conculsion that Joyces sucks balls....

edit: I got called today too. AIB no fraud on the card, they told me that the Gardai had informed them that my card had been skimmed. They also would not reveal where it was skimmed, they said they didn't know. Hmmm.

well, according to the manager i spoke to mormal procedure would be to look for id etc, but apparently this crowd just walked in and did it.

'its a very easy thing to do and in such a busy shop we really wouldn't notice'

WTF!! by that logic, people could empty every one of the eight tills without anybody noticing!!

They are so pathetic!!!

not sure about cappagh road, wouldnt think so.
    but i know who it is and im not afraid too name and shame then
    JOYCES in knocknacarra..
    i have a NEW LASER CARD, WHICH I HAVE USED ONCE..
    only once!! in JOYCES KNOCKNACARRA
    got a call from AIB today its been cloned... ie skimmed
    so theres only one place i used it.. joyces..
    and im calling the manager about now as well

Well I heard a different supermarket, and at least two friends with "compromised" cards have never been in Joyces...

Well I heard a different supermarket, and at least two friends with "compromised" cards have never been in Joyces...

Well, im still bitching about Joyces anyway...its just another example of their ineptitude....grrrrrrrr....

honestly, i never shop there, i try to avoid shopping there, i go out of my way NOT to shop there; i dont believe they deserve the business, for so many reasons!! BUt i went in to get catfood cos id forgotten to get it elsewhere, was under pressure for time and kitty needed whiskas, my first laser transaction in ages and this feckin happens....arsebiscuits...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

My mate's card got skimmed in McGuire's on Dominic Street there yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My mate's card got skimmed in McGuire's on Dominic Street there yesterday.

Crikey, from the ATM or the shop terminal?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement