Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish or Romanian for leaving cert?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Polish or Romanian for leaving cert?
    Can you start Polish or Romanian or another language like that from transition year by getting outside grinds and classes etc. and take it as a leaving cert subject or can you only do that if you're not from Ireland. I'm Irish so would I be able to do that?
    Thanks. smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Sure you can, the only problem is you have find somebody to teach you the language :)
    Although i would probably recomend to go with polish.. one of my friend did romanian for the lc, and it was her first language.. and she managed to get a B1.. :( there is a chance that it was her fault.. but still...

I myself done Russian for the lc. The exam it self is quite doable for anybody. Most of it you have to answer in english. One of the main part was to match boxes! The problem is though that there is a different alphabet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

heh yeah looking at the leaving cert site there was like 20 or something doing pollish.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

I was under the impression that for a lot of those Eastern European languages, the standard of the exams was equivalent to the standard of our English exams...geared towards native speakers. Friend of mine lived in Saudi Arabia till age 12, Arabic her first language, but even so she didn't have the time to devote to doing it for LC.

That said...I might be totally wrong. And that said, you could be well capable if you devoted the time :pac: And that said..wow I probably shouldn't have posted. Carry on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yuugib wrote: »
    Sure you can, the only problem is you have find somebody to teach you the language :)

Are you sure? The Department told me it has to be the candidate's native language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Graca

Although i would probably recomend to go with polish.. one of my friend did romanian for the lc, and it was her first language.. and she managed to get a B1.. :( there is a chance that it was her fault.. but still...

I myself done Russian for the lc. The exam it self is quite doable for anybody. Most of it you have to answer in english. One of the main part was to match boxes! The problem is though that there is a different alphabet :(

So did you do Russian for the junior?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

spurious wrote: »
    Are you sure? The Department told me it has to be the candidate's native language.

I heard that too. Except like japenese, spanish, russian. Check the languages on the timetable - im sure there the ones everyone can do. The others EU ones are restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Graca : No i didnt do it for the jc, i dont think you can though.

I am a native speaker as well... but the exam wasnt even a challenge to be honest. I felt like I was in primary school again. There are 3 texts that you have to answer in english to, write a 50 and 100 word essays, match the boxes.. and write missing words into the sentences that were given above.
    Although some of the grammar question are present, thats probably as hard as it gets.

If it really was aimed at the native speakers, I wouldnt say that I would of done well at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

I grew up at the German/Dutch boarder and wanted to do Dutch for the LC. Couldn't do it because I don't have a Dutch passport. Even though I'm fluent in it. Was allowed to do German (which was a laugh to be honest), but obviously everyone's allowed to do German

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I am a native speaker as well... but the exam wasnt even a challenge to be honest. I felt like I was in primary school again. There are 3 texts that you have to answer in english to, write a 50 and 100 word essays, match the boxes.. and write missing words into the sentences that were given above.
    Although some of the grammar question are present, thats probably as hard as it gets.

If it really was aimed at the native speakers, I wouldnt say that I would of done well at all :D

Just looking at the past Romanian and Polish papers they don't seem to follow that pattern at all.

I believe Russian is in a different category, not being an EU language.
    The 'new' EU language exams were brought in as a result of some international agreement and are only open to native speakers. I would double check the validity of them for counting points too.

No reason for you not to learn Polish though OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

spurious wrote: »

I believe Russian is in a different category, not being an EU language.
    The 'new' EU language exams were brought in as a result of some international agreement and are only open to native speakers. I would double check the validity of them for counting points too.

I think I read somewhere on the SEC website, that they are open to native speakers but only one non-curricular language could be counted for points purposes, I suppose to prevent non-native students racking up points with a list of non-curricular languages

• Advertisement
Advertisement