Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

noisy water pump

• 14-08-2008 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I've just got the attic converted and now the wife has a serious problem with the noise the pump makes when the shower is running. Has anyone had a similar issue and sorted it out. is there a soundproof box that it can sit in?

i've seen on other online forums people in apartments getting this done but does anyone know someone who does it and how successful is it?

FYI:
    pump is a Stuart Turner. Installed in hot Press. Sitting on timber floor.

I'd appreciate any input or contact details.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Just put some heavy duty rubber matting under it to deaden the vibration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Yeah as said above, some plumbers actually screw them to the floor:eek:

if so unscrew it and place it, careful now with pipes etc! if it's been connected with Tectite fittings straining them will cause them to leak!, on some rubber mounts. You can actually buy isolation mounts which will help greatly, have a link in work i will forward to you tomorrow.

They are noisy buggers though!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭BAZM8

Thanks for the input guys.

I talked to Modern Plant who supply these pumps and on their advice I've sorted the problem by putting a concrete paving slab under the pump on a layer of Armourflex (this is a rubber pipe insulation I could get easily but any rubber isolatior will do). The concrete mass helps deaden the sound.

Then i built a plywood enclosure and lined this with armourflex also to deaden the sound (if you are doing similar make sure you allow for air holes)

This has sorted the issue and it's reduced the sound to a hum.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

BAZM8 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys.

I talked to Modern Plant who supply these pumps and on their advice I've sorted the problem by putting a concrete paving slab under the pump on a layer of Armourflex (this is a rubber pipe insulation I could get easily but any rubber isolatior will do). The concrete mass helps deaden the sound.

Then i built a plywood enclosure and lined this with armourflex also to deaden the sound (if you are doing similar make sure you allow for air holes)

This has sorted the issue and it's reduced the sound to a hum.

Hi BAZM8,

I'm having the same trouble with our water pump. I will adopt your helpful solution. Just wondering where did you get the Armourflex. Or where would I get any rubber isolator?

Thanks
    RR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭BAZM8

I got the armaflex from Glengorey Pumps in Toghers Ind Est Naas. Any company who does industrial plumbing or pumps should be able to help you. I bought a 2M length of the stuff for a fiver.

There is a company in the dublin are who do enclosures for €200. Ventac ltd. I got them out to look but they thought mine was a little complicated and were to get back to me so i did it my self. I dont have their number to hand but let me know if you want it. (mine cost less than €50 to make)

Putting the pump on a concrete paving slab with Armaflex between and under the slab helped a lot even without the enclosure. I'd try that first if i was you, it may be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Fair play to you for fixing the issue. I live in a semi-detached house and the plonker next door obviously has his mounted to the wooden floor of his hot press (airing cupboard in the UK:)). Every time they take a shower in that house, I know about it. :(

If you have neighbours, they will be very grateful to you for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

BAZM8 wrote: »
    I got the armaflex from Glengorey Pumps in Toghers Ind Est Naas. Any company who does industrial plumbing or pumps should be able to help you. I bought a 2M length of the stuff for a fiver.

There is a company in the dublin are who do enclosures for €200. Ventac ltd. I got them out to look but they thought mine was a little complicated and were to get back to me so i did it my self. I dont have their number to hand but let me know if you want it. (mine cost less than €50 to make)

Putting the pump on a concrete paving slab with Armaflex between and under the slab helped a lot even without the enclosure. I'd try that first if i was you, it may be enough.

Thanks BAZM8. I'll pick that up and try it with the slab. I can prob put some enclosure together myself anyway. Thanks for the info.
    RR

Advertisement