Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixie Commute

Options
  • 14-08-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

I am hoping to replace my current commuter bike (specialized globe) with a fixie/single speed bike. Basically I would like a fixie to improve my pedalling style and also increase strength on hills.

I have been looking at an off the peg such as a giant bowery or a specialized langster.

Can anyone recommend a fixie/single speed for commuting to/traveling around around Dublin? My budget is max 600 euro. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

blorg posted a link to a bargain bowery coming in at 315 euro from the uk.. will see if i can find it.
    edit: got it. here

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Many thanks for the link. Thats a great deal alright - I'm very very tempted...unless I should be looking a something else for that price range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

You really can't lose with the Bowery at that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Personally I'd go for the Langster - you'll get some good deals on a 2008 model now and the 2009 ones look pretty nice too. The Bowery is indeed cheap and cheerful but if you have the budget why not use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

As Ken says I recently got the Bowery and am massively happy with it.

I would have gone for the Langster over it (for the carbon fork+ lower weight) but I honestly looked around and the Langster is a very popular bike which does not tend to be discounted much. As such it was coming in at almost twice the price.

I am completely converted and think the Bowery is a perfect bike for commuting around Dublin (except it is worth noting now that it does not take standard mudguards or a rack!) I have not yet found a hill too much for it (coming down fixed is the problem!)

It seems to me very smooth and comfortable and I have gone reasonably long distances (75km+) on it immediately after purchase without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

Hmmm, I've been thinking of getting a singlespeed as a second bike to use on fairly flat spins. I'm going to be in the UK for the next while, so I figured I'd get something fairly cheap to leave at my OH's place for when I'm over.

I was looking at a Langster (since it has the same frame as my 'proper' bike - an Allez), but that Bowery does look like a good deal. Would it be any good as a training bike? Ppl seem to be coming down on the side of the Langster...

As an aside, what's the gearing like on these off-the-peg fixies/singlespeeds, and how easy is it to change the cog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

DBCyc wrote: »
    I am hoping to replace my current commuter bike (specialized globe) with a fixie/single speed bike. Basically I would like a fixie to improve my pedalling style and also increase strength on hills.

I have been looking at an off the peg such as a giant bowery or a specialized langster.

Can anyone recommend a fixie/single speed for commuting to/traveling around around Dublin? My budget is max 600 euro. Cheers.

If you're going to spend your full budget, I wouldn't go for the Langster myself, you have some sweeter options in that price range, including the Bianchi Pista, the Kona Paddywagon (Cyclelogical have the 07 for about 600, it's been there a while, you might get a reduction). Here's Evans' full list of single speeds (they have a sale on currently), I've read good things about the LeMond Fillmore too.

Another to consider is the Fuji Track, very cheap for a 'proper' track bike with a steel frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

You should also bear weight in mind... I have the Paddy Wagon, and it's a great bike -but compared to the Langster (and probably most others bar the Surly), it's heavy! Not too heavy, but I suppose that depends on your viewpoint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

That deal on the Bowery is almost too good to pass up, given you're in the market for a new fixie. But with 600 lids to spend, you can't go far wrong with the Langster. Riding mine 2 years now and still very happy...other than the bottom bracket needs replacing now.

Thanks for the advice guys...I think the bowery offer is indeed too good to pass up! I'll go for it - woohoo! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It's well worth it. I've started to actually enjoy commuting since I got my fixie built.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

You should also bear weight in mind... I have the Paddy Wagon, and it's a great bike -but compared to the Langster (and probably most others bar the Surly), it's heavy! Not too heavy, but I suppose that depends on your viewpoint :)
    What does it weigh in at? My steel frame Pompino is 8.5kg before rack & m/guards, which feels light enough

DBCyc wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys...I think the bowery offer is indeed too good to pass up! I'll go for it - woohoo! :D
    You won't regret it, the Bowery is the new Boards.ie standard fixie (as the Focus is to geared bikes.) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

The bowery that was linked to seems like a great price.

Would one have to build it themselves or can they be shipped built?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

blorg wrote: »
    You won't regret it, the Bowery is the new Boards.ie standard fixie (as the Focus is to geared bikes.) :D

Given the level of interest in your sandals blorg, I predict they will be standard by next years W200!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I have the Charge Plug myself.
    I love it, you won't regret going fixed.

Reading online I believe the Plug is heavy for a fixie, but I find it a joy to ride.

Seems to be a lot of fixers on here these days.

Oh, and I agree with unionman; Blorg's sandals will be the must have accessory of 2009

ntlbell wrote: »
    The bowery that was linked to seems like a great price.

Would one have to build it themselves or can they be shipped built?
    It arrives requiring a bit of final assembly but given that the thing has no gears it was not too difficult to get stuck together, well under an hour (an I am far from the world's best mechanic.)

As it arrived and after assembly:
    th_giant_bowery.jpg th_giant_bowery_glencullen.jpg

You will need:

- Allen keys
    - 15mm or adjustable wrench
    - Pedal wrench
    - Cutting pliers or cable cutter
    - Screwdrivers (flat-head and Phillips)
    - Grease
    - Pump

This is enough to get it on the road as a singlespeed; to stick on the fixed cog you will also need a chain whip and track cog lockring tool.

Procedure:

Attach front wheel using the 15mm wrench. Undo side bolts on the stem and center it forward (leave the top one alone, the headset was fine.) Remove the stem faceplate and attach the bars so the bottom of the drops is parallel with the ground. Thread the front brake cable into the front brake and fix, thread the rear cable through the guides on the frame and fix on the rear brake. You may need to center the brakes which you can do simply by hand. The pads were already aligned pretty well. Cut the brake cables and crimp on the cable-ends to stop fraying. Attach pedals with pedal wrench, remember left is reverse threaded (always tighten towards the front of the bike.) Pump up tyres to 100 PSI or thereabouts. Insert shim into the seatpost, put rubber ring on seatpost with protrusions pointing down and slide down into shim, attach and tighten clamp with rubber ring on top of shim. Use screwdrivers to remove reflectors if you like :DRemember to grease all threads and the seatpost.

To stick on the fixed cog you just remove the rear wheel removing the chain tug bolts, then the axle nuts. Grease and screw on the cog and get it good and tight with the chain whip, then grease and screw on the lockring (note reverse thread) and tighten with the lockring tool. Reaffix rear wheel the other way around and try to get your chain tension a bit better than I did on first go, should be taught but not so tight it binds (around 1/2 inch of vertical play if you pull the chain up/down I am informed by the lads on here.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You can do without the chainwhip, just cycle hard up a hill and it should be fine. The whips are handy for removing the cogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Or you can wrap the chain around the cog and tighten it that way, saw a web linky on it somewhere, will see if i can find it. Also for the lockring, saw another tip that you could use a screwdriver and mallet to tap the lockring to tighten it. The potential for this going wrong is obviously higher than with using a lockring spanner, but can do in a pinch.

Sean_K wrote: »
    You can do without the chainwhip, just cycle hard up a hill and it should be fine. The whips are handy for removing the cogs.
    I have heard that all right but if you have a chain whip handy using it removes the need to re-tighten the locking after you do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ChipPanBuddha

Couldn't resist that Pearsons Bowery offer neither! Can anyone tell me how long Pearsons normally take to deliver? Ordered one on Sunday and sadly I am already peering impatiently out the window for the courier van :rolleyes:

Couldn't resist that Pearsons Bowery offer neither! Can anyone tell me how long Pearsons normally take to deliver? Ordered one on Sunday and sadly I am already peering impatiently out the window for the courier van

Mine took around 4-5 days as far as I remember. I was the same...rushing to reception every time I heard a delivery guy coming in! It was worth the wait and I'm delighted with the bowery - it's great fun :D

ChipPan- they will call you first to renegotiate the delivery price. My advice is to hold to the "Boards.ie £20 delivery special" - they should be familiar by now - once that is agreed delivery should take only a few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ChipPanBuddha

Thanks for that folks. It might arrive just in time for the weekend! Or I might have to spend the weekend in a sulk :D
    Judging by the number of people that seem to be snapping them up they are probably up to their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Now, I forbid Anyone from buying a Bowery. No More! Enough! I cycled across a guy cycling a 08 Model on my way to work in D15 this morning ... yet again.

This is MY BIKE ...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Now, I forbid Anyone from buying a Bowery. No More! Enough!
    Dakkor, don't need no more Bowery bums 'round here.
    I cycled across a guy cycling a 08 Model on my way to work in D15 this morning ... yet again.
    Oww! Did you help him up afterwards?

Maybe we could get "Boards.ie Team Issue" decals made up?

rp wrote: »
    Oww! Did you help him up afterwards?

Sorry, I 'wish' I cycled across that guy to make him realised that I look much better on that bike than he does, and that he should give it back ... tsss Amateurs....
    blorg wrote: »
    Maybe we could get "Boards.ie Team Issue" decals made up?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Couldn't resist that Pearsons Bowery offer neither! Can anyone tell me how long Pearsons normally take to deliver? Ordered one on Sunday and sadly I am already peering impatiently out the window for the courier van :rolleyes:

am tempted myself, even though I am totally against fixies! they don't have medium, bikeradar review said medium was big for someone 5'10", I'm 5' 9" would small be big enough?

Anyone actually fitted raceblades to one? They work ok?

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    Anyone actually fitted raceblades to one? They work ok?

I have, the back blade only.

But it looks aweful and the bike is crap and you won't like it ... fixies are a waste of money and they're dangerous.

I love my fixie ...

Advertisement