Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixie Commute

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have raceblades on mine and they work fine- the standard one for 23c tyres works fine with the 26c on it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

blorg wrote: »
    I have raceblades on mine and they work fine- the standard one for 23c tyres works fine with the 26c on it.

thanks blorg, any tips on the frame sizing?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I couldn't get raceblades to fit the front of my Pompino with a 28c, so I used one of them MTB crud guards on the downtube. It works a treat, especially considering the rain we've had this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I guess I'll get into trouble with Caroline if I mention what I just ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Trojan wrote: »
    I guess I'll get into trouble with Caroline if I mention what I just ordered?

... I can find out where you live, you won't be in troube long ... your bike will be sleeping with the fishes ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

What's a race blade?

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    What's a race blade?

It's a short knife that roadies use to sabotage their opponents deep inside the peleton.

I must get one of them for my commute

I'm 6ft0 and have a large which fits me well. One thing to note is the shape of the hoods (Campagnolo style) means that an on-the-hoods position is effectively around 2cm further forward than on Shimano-style hoods, meaning I felt a bit stretched in that position (would be my primary riding position.) I compensated for that by moving the saddle forward a bit compared to my road bike.

Trojan wrote: »
    It's a short knife that roadies use to sabotage their opponents deep inside the peleton.
    You see one in this race footage, around 1 minute in.

• Advertisement

Jaysus we're all very smart today.:mad:

Is anyone going to tell me what racing blades are. They sound like something I'll never have to use anyway.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Jaysus we're all very smart today.:mad:

Is anyone going to tell me what racing blades are. They sound like something I'll never have to use anyway.:confused:

We have told you! They're nothing to do with clip on mudguards at all... nothing :)

dahon%20sks%20raceblade%20xl.jpg

dahon%20sks%20raceblade%20xl.jpg
    That's it - see the little sheath going down the fork? That's where you keep the blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I wasnt able to fix the front blade to my Magnificient and better that yours Bowery ... wouldnt fit.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm 6ft0 and have a large which fits me well. One thing to note is the shape of the hoods (Campagnolo style) means that an on-the-hoods position is effectively around 2cm further forward than on Shimano-style hoods, meaning I felt a bit stretched in that position (would be my primary riding position.) I compensated for that by moving the saddle forward a bit compared to my road bike.

Cheers, sounds like the small would be a bit, well, small for me.

I wasnt able to fix the front blade to my Magnificient and better that yours Bowery ... wouldnt fit.
    Very possible, actually not sure I ever bothered trying to fit the front one on my 2008 model, I'll give it a go and verify. Front not so critical anyway.

Hit 63km/h @180RPM today!

I checked and can confirm that the front race blade doesn't fit great as is on my 2008 Bowery either- the bottom of the mudguard touches the wheel. It appears due to the fork angle on the Bowery. However I am pretty sure this could be fixed in one of two ways:

(1) If you are only using the guards on the Bowery, bend the metal stays a bit and use the screws that fix the guard in place;
    (2) If you are using the guards on another bike, stick something under the bottom of the fork attachment, it just needs to be angled back a few degrees.

Advertisement