Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

W123 Or T190 GTi?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/230/car/1168975/

1168975_20080813080849_1.jpg

I'm sorely thinking of getting a second car, weekend thrills what have you.

Been thinking alot about a 200E Merc Or Carina GTi. There was one a while back on carzone going for 3K and am regretting it big time. Seen the odd few on ebay.co.uk

Carina_GTi_Rear.jpg

But not many people know about them, and they wouldnt have the same prestiege as a W123.

But a Merc is a Merc.

Say if i imported from england would i have to pay the new tax rates or the old ones?

:confused:

What to do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A no brainer, get the Merc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

bazz26 wrote: »
    A no brainer, get the Merc.

In ways i'm in agreement with ya, but in others i think i'd be better with the T190 and the exact opposite is true also.

T190 Gti= 168hp Sleeper
    W123= I work for finna fail.

I've had loadsa Carina's, never had a Merc, i suppose the grass being greener on the other side and all that.

Both fairly reliable, the Gti has a superstrut suspension €400 a corner to put right. And they were never sold over here either just mainland europe and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jaysus i'd go for that Carina just because i haven't head of one. Looks the business. I've always secretly liked the carina's. And no u won't pay the new tax if u import, it'll be based on the CC system.

Jaysus i'd go for that Carina just because i haven't head of one. Looks the business. I've always secretly liked the carina's. And no u won't pay the new tax if u import, it'll be based on the CC system.

Kinda proving my point as to why owning one would be rare and unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Kinda proving my point as to why owning one would be rare and unique.

BUt being honest if i did see one, i'd honestly laugh because i'd think it was some1 who had stuck on a gti badge. But really i wouldn't give two ****s. Go for it. Don't mind the merc, the toyota will last for ever:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Maybe you should change your nick to "Toyotaboy". Think about it. Or if you really prefer a Volvo over a Toyota, put your money where your heart is...

unkel wrote: »
    Maybe you should change your nick to "Toyotaboy". Think about it. Or if you really prefer a Volvo over a Toyota, put your money where your heart is...

If you do i'll give you 1st go-sies

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

New rates of VRT, but old rates of car tax.

I'd much prefer the old Merc. btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

It's not even as if the...ahem...'GTi:rolleyes:' will be a willing weekend fling-thing. Those Carinas handled abysmally, my uncle had one and I've driven Avensii which are an improved version of the same platform (AFAIK).

The Merc is a no brainer, it will deliver a type of driving experience you've not had before. I think you know what a Carina drives like by now:D. Apart from the fact that those old W123s ooze class.

I'm not a car-snob and can see the attraction of an old Toyota. But enough is enough! Broaden you horizons man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

People will see the GTi badge and the Carina and think you're a tosser who halfordised your car :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

I would go for the Toyota, just for the rarity/ novelty value, even thought I knew about them, when they were new, I've only ever seen two of them, and as for the tosser with a GTI badge on a Carina quote, anyone in the know will spot the second exhaust.

Why not consider a good Puegeot 405 Mi16, or an Alfa 155

The Merc would appeal only if I was 90 years old and about to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

I think the way things are at the mo, you could have both of them for 3k if you have the space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

I would go for a merc. I have had 3 so far, 190E, 1973 280CE and a W124T.

But i would definately go for the diesel estate. The estate because it is more classier; and the diesel because should you ever want, it is quite easy to convert to veggie oil.

353987.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I think the Merc looks classy, the Carina look like it should have "SUPERTAXI" written on the back of it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No that's an Octavia 1.9tdi. Huge boot.

Advertisement