Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mature students

• 15-08-2008 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

hi all,
    i've been accepted to DCU for a mechatronics course & they seem to be running 2 days for mature students on the 15th & 16th of september. just thought i'd see if theres any fellow mature students on here who'll be attending the two days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DracusWolf

I have not heard about this. Might be interesting all right!! :) Can i ask do you know what these 2 days intail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭giveliberty

hi all,
    i've been accepted to DCU for a mechatronics course & they seem to be running 2 days for mature students on the 15th & 16th of september. just thought i'd see if theres any fellow mature students on here who'll be attending the two days.

Ive registered for these two days. Its bascially a short orientation of the student services, and more specifically services for mature students. It also includes talks on study techniques and essay and academic paper writing. The DCU President will also address the group along with some informal chatting with Course Heads and lecturers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

An e-mail was sent around to undergraduates regards volunteering for orientation week and it mentioned that two days prior to orientation week were open for a few people to work on, so the two days must be for dealing with mature students, showing them around etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Mickswizard

I'll be speaking at it. Spoke at it last year aswell so I must have been doing something right that they asked me back. See you then.

Edit: I'm a mature student going into my third year of Economics, Politics and Law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭nessymon

yip - i'm going - i'm starting multimedia

• Advertisement

I'll be speaking at it. Spoke at it last year aswell so I must have been doing something right that they asked me back. See you then.

Edit: I'm a mature student going into my third year of Economics, Politics and Law.

So being a mature student.....is it as awkward as some people say or are you generally accepted my the kiddies???:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

i don't know if i'll be accepted by the kiddies but my experience this year doing a mechanical engineering plc course was that once you know what your doing they tend to turn to you for advice/help. but don't know if that'll show in dcu with all the support structures in place. p.s. i'm ronan & i'll be doing an honours degree in mechatronics.

Cheers Ronan....looking forward to hearing about your experiences

btw may i be so bold as to ask the age of other mature students going into courses? myself i'm 25 so don't know whether to take the mature tag as a compliment or insult, but i do know to take it that it helped me get into DCU so i guess i'm cursed/blessed with the tag.

Mise 26

• Advertisement

i'm 26 come march 09. really looking forward to the course & the general goings on. btw anyone looking at the sports/clubs scene? i'm gonna be looking into the judo to see if they accept newcomers so hopefully they do.

i'm 35 - NOW i feel old :D

sry m8 but i suppose with a few beers you can claim your celebrating your 21st for the 15th time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

btw may i be so bold as to ask the age of other mature students going into courses? myself i'm 25 so don't know whether to take the mature tag as a compliment or insult, but i do know to take it that it helped me get into DCU so i guess i'm cursed/blessed with the tag.

Ah you are not too bad. I did a medical mechanical engineering degree and we had grandfathers in the course who mixed well. Don't worry the mature tag is not quite valid for you yet you should be fine. In my experience (at least in engineering) the mature students tend to do better anyway they are more focused..

So being a mature student.....is it as awkward as some people say or are you generally accepted my the kiddies???:):)

I didn't feel awkward for a second. They made me feel very comfortable. But EPL2006 is an unusually big ball of love.

sry m8 but i suppose with a few beers you can claim your celebrating your 21st for the 15th time.

True... at least M people aren't around anymore:)

nessymon wrote: »
    True... at least M people aren't around anymore:)

Don't speak too soon. The DCU students union has an awful knack of finding washed up 90s "hitmakers" and parading them into our xmas/summer balls. It would surprise me if Shovel (that was the drummers name) was banging out the beats at a future bash.

Advertisement