Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Turning Into a Grumpy Old Man (Taxi Moan)

Options
  • 15-08-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭

I'm really starting to worry a little what I'll be like when I'm older. Everyday I pass by the lower end of Parnell Street and see multiple taxi's illegally parked on double yellow lines down the alleyway which runs by Peats and which is the exit for the Ilac carpark.

They are parked on double yellow lines and they block the loading bays of both penneys and peats and there is a fecking rank in front of these shops, they should just wait and take their turn.

This doesn't directly affect me but it annoys me. Does stuff like this annoy anyone else or am I really just turning into a grumpy old man?

2763342069_78ddf4047e.jpg

1 - Double Yellow Lines
    2 - Blocked Loading Bays of Penneys and Peats
    3 - Taxi Rank Around the Corner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The way I look at it is that once taxis are not moving, then they are fairly safe. They become dangerous when an arse/arses hits the seats. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Welcome to the World of Grumpy Old Men. Remember your most valuable tool is...SpeedDial!

This one is number 6 on my list.
    Dublin City Council
    Roads & Traffic: Parking Policy & Enforcement
    222 2261

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

OldGoat wrote: »
    SpeedDial!

This one is number 6 on my list.
    Dublin City Council
    Roads & Traffic: Parking Policy & Enforcement
    222 2261

Dad?

Kidding, fair play to you. I turn in to the grumpiest old man when it comes to the special needs parking spaces, I am able bodied, but it does bug me.

lightening wrote: »
    Dad?
    Ask yer ma, ya never know. :D

I turn in to the grumpiest old man when it comes to the special needs parking spaces, I am able bodied, but it does bug me.
    My mum is wheelchair bound and more often then not we have to park at the far end of the car park just so we can get her chair around by the side of the car.
    Grumpy Old men believe that if you have a disabled sticker in your car that you should be allowed to put parking-tickets on any cars using the disabled parking spots.

Ask yer ma, ya never know. :D

Can't believe I didn't see that coming. :mad:

I had to help a person unwedge their electric wheelchair from a wall and a badly parked car. The scrapes along the side of the car were incredibly impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

2763342069_78ddf4047e.jpg

1 - Double Yellow Lines
    2 - Blocked Loading Bays of Penneys and Peats
    3 - Taxi Rank Around the Corner

The rank outside pennys legally holds four car's, but a driver a squeeze another one in to get five ranked.

The Greshem holds about 14 (and thats the biggest on the northside). Sackville Place is similarly over crowded.

There's approx 20k taxi's in Dublin competing for (approx 450 rank spaces). You do the math on that one.

What would you prefer, the drivers don't work because there's no rank spaces?. Drive around all day in the hope of finding a space or a fare on the streets?. Using up diesel/petrol while at the same time causing more traffic jams?.

Your objections would be better directed at your local TD's and the office of the Taxi regulator who continues to issue licences to an already over crowded market.

The user 'Oldgoat' hints at ratting these guys out. Wow, big man yourself taking money out of someone's pocket. I guess you rat out people are smoking in their van's while working, or people for dangerous driving, people for littering the streets and pissing in our allyways or do you have select laws for select people?.

These people are working men, providing for families just like the rest of us here. Because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you should look down your noses at them, you think they want to be sitting, parked illegally and risking penalties (I think its an €80 fine plus a point or two on their licence).

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

They should wait their turn, but wait where OP?

Anyway once the handbrake is nt on your not parked, just sitting in traffic.

Ha Im turning into a grumpy old man at 24.

ryoishin wrote: »
    They should wait their turn, but wait where OP?

Anyway once the handbrake is nt on your not parked, just sitting in traffic.

Ha Im turning into a grumpy old man at 24.

If your driving an automatic and stopped at traffic lights with the car in 'park' are you stopped in traffic or parked at the lights?.

:D

Mairt wrote: »
    The user 'Oldgoat' hints at ratting these guys out. Wow, big man yourself taking money out of someone's pocket. I guess you rat out people are:
    smoking in their van's while working
    Yes.
    people for dangerous driving
    Yes
    people for littering the streets
    Yes
    pissing in our allyways
    Yes
    do you have select laws for select people?
    No. Same law applies to everyone. If you infringe on the laws then you should be man enough to take the consequences. If you don't like the laws then get them changed.

The grumpy old man complaints might end up with more space allocated to taxi ranks.

The taxi men and women might end up thanking complaining grumpy old men!! Can we not row?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Actually we see them from my mates gaff and she complained cause her bf parked there and he got clamped!

The grumpy old man complaints might end up with more space allocated to taxi ranks.

The taxi men and women might end up thanking complaining grumpy old men!! Can we not row?

Thats why I suggest you complain to your local TD or the taxi regulators office, thats what taxi drivers and unions want you to do.

But ratting to the police on a working man/woman for illegally parking their taxi when they're not in a position to get ranked up is an entirely different matter altogether IMO.

Yes.
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

No. Same law applies to everyone. If you infringe on the laws then you should be man enough to take the consequences. If you don't like the laws then get them changed.

There's three people jay-walking in your photo - quick rat on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

But ratting to the police on a working man/woman for illegally parking their taxi when they're not in a position to get ranked up is an entirely different matter altogether IMO.

I don't agree with the way you use the term "working man/woman" in this discussion. I don't consider it an excuse for anything. Would you agree with staying quiet about a rude & abusive taxi driver because he had a family to feed? Where would you draw the line?

BendiBus wrote: »
    I don't agree with the way you use the term "working man/woman" in this discussion. I don't consider it an excuse for anything. Would you agree with staying quiet about a rude & abusive taxi driver because he had a family to feed? Where would you draw the line?

I recognoise that these guys are working in an overcrowded market, are left with no alternative but to park illegally like this and I'd rather direct my annoyance at the people who can do something about it and not the people who can't.

Like I asked, do people think taxi drivers want to sit there not making a penny?.

Do people think if there was fare's on the streets the guys would sit parked up?.

'Rude or Abusive taxi driver' is not what the thread is about. However I'll answer that, I'd meet 'rude and abusive' with 'rude & abusive' or else I'd report the driver to the regulators office, I wouldn't waste my time making a thread on boards about it.

But there's no evidence in the OP's photo that there's anyone being rude or abusive. Just taxi driver's parked up (illegally).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There must be no-one in the car when it's stopped, for it to be "parked", thus why someone got clamped. You see, the taxi's can move if need be, but the parked caar can't move. But it being Ireland, as it can't moce, they clamp it so that it can't be moved. Really does boggle the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Little things annoy me all the time. All the time. I don't care, it's another kind of fun. A moany kind of fun. Something annoys you, you moan, you let it go. I personally don't see a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

For the record - Jay walking isnt illegal in Ireland.

and OP taxi drivers are just trying to make a living. Leave them alone. I'm sure the Ilac centre want to have enough taxis around to provide for their customers anyway, its win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnnn so as a result of this thread taxi drivers can park illegally and cause an obstruction simply because they are trying to make a living.

One rule for them and one for us eh.

and cause an obstruction simply because they are trying to make a living
    There is a huge difference between a driver in an occupied vehicle being parked illegally and an unoccupied vehicle being parked illegally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 goonmaster

Theres a whole other world out there.
    Dont get caught down complaining just because you've nothing better to do.
    Make plans!
    Enjoy life!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've got lots of better things to be doing but I felt like a moan.

...or else I'd report the driver to the regulators office...

Speed-dial:
    The Commission for Taxi Regulation,
    35 Fitzwilliam Square,
    Dublin 2.
    01-6593800.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

There's three people jay-walking in your photo - quick rat on them.

is it TRUE that that law has been introduced here?

Jay D wrote: »
    is it TRUE that that law has been introduced here?

Actually I'm sure the older members like Wishbone will remember when that law was introduced back in the 80's.

Of course it was never enforced but it was fun watching everyone obey pedestrian lights for about a week before going back to our old ways again.

Because it says in our rules of the road that a driver must give way to pedestrians alighting the pavement people confuse that with pedestrians having a legal right of way and need not take responsibilty for their own safety.

A pedestrian can be charged with being a danger to him/herself and to oncoming traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

come on folks we're all forgetting one thing here. theres one law the taxi drivers and another for everyone else. if anyone else were to park there i'd guarantee you within 5 mintutes you'd either be
    (A) clamped
    or
    (B) your car would be in the car-pound.
    T.B.H. i dont care whether there's 1 rank for 5 taxi's in the city or a thousand ranks for 20 taxi's the fact is they're illegally parked and therefore shouldn't be there. to me this is pure discrimination.
    **** yeah i'll think i'll get a plate tomorrow and then park where i want when i want without fear of getting penalty points or better still maybe the government should give everyone in the audience (country) a free taxi plate.
    most people in this country earn an honest decent living but it doesn't mean they go out and break the laws if somethings not going their way.

come on folks we're all forgetting one thing here. theres one law the taxi drivers and another for everyone else. if anyone else were to park there i'd guarantee you within 5 mintutes you'd either be
    (A) clamped
    or
    (B) your car would be in the car-pound.
    T.B.H. i dont care whether there's 1 rank for 5 taxi's in the city or a thousand ranks for 20 taxi's the fact is they're illegally parked and therefore shouldn't be there. to me this is pure discrimination.
    **** yeah i'll think i'll get a plate tomorrow and then park where i want when i want without fear of getting penalty points or better still maybe the government should give everyone in the audience (country) a free taxi plate.
    most people in this country earn an honest decent living but it doesn't mean they go out and break the laws if somethings not going their way.

What an absolutely stupid post.

Mairt wrote:
    Actually I'm sure the older members like Wishbone will remember when that law was introduced back in the 80's.
    Yes, it's illegal but never enforced. If one is within a specific distance of a pedestrian crossing (100 metres?) one is legally obliged to use the crossing.

And what's this about me being 'older'! :D

(A) clamped
    or
    (B) your car would be in the car-pound
    You seem to be forgetting one very important point - the taxi driver usually remains in the vehicle and therefore can move off if he is causing an obstruction.

There is a huge difference between parking illegally and leaving the vehicle and parking illegally and remaining in it.

I have yet to hear of a vehicle being clamped or impounded with the driver in situ.

Advertisement