Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Hobbs: "Starter homes will be 175,000 euros in 2 years"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

bakerbhoy wrote: »
    Now add in extra costs to meet new regs. Any chance of a profit???
    If not , they won't build houses for current available prices.

What will they do then though? Not work? It's not like Ireland is suffering from a housing shortage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

blast05 wrote: »
    - you seem to presume we will achieve some utopian position of property prices being sold for a fair and realistic value giving the buyer value for money. However, the fundamentals in the way the Irish property market operates haven't changed - i.e.: the CIF haven completely turned off the taps on new supply meaning we will enevitably be in a position in 2-3 years of undersupply (presuming no nett emigration then population growth of 40K per year) or even sooner in other places as the current over supply is primarily in commuter towns or in tax designated counties. CIF will then be in a position to dictate prices again and so the cycle starts once again .... unless there is much much greater reuglation in the finance industry. There will be more enevitably but i can't see there been enough

It would seem that you believe this too. You said:
    At the end of the day - if unemployment grows to say 12% from full employment when ~3.5-4% of the labour force are signing on - then there are still 88% of the work force in employment who can afford mortgage repayments and all that goes with that etc.

At the moment, very few people who are in full time employment can afford to buy a house without a massive commute, a drastic reduction in standards, a 100% mortgage, help from their parents and/or renting out a room. So if you think that whoever is employed can afford mortgage repayments, then you must also believe that someone who works full time should be able to afford to buy somewhere.

This means that someone earning €25k should be able to buy somewhere reasonable for about €100k. You can't even get a dilapidated one bed shoebox in a bad area of Dublin for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Once again, affordability is not value. Houses were affordable at the peak of the boom, because people were still buying them; they were, however, terrible value. They still are.

Do you have any reason to think value will play a bigger part next time round?
    bakerbhoy wrote:
    If developers cannot achieve a price above their costs they will not build,period.
    Add in land costs...

If there's a limit to how much people will pay for a property then rising construction costs will simply force down land prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Daith wrote: »
    What will they do then though? Not work? It's not like Ireland is suffering from a housing shortage.

They won't build the right type of houses. More duplex / town house developements thats what will be 150/175k
    Housing shortage: There are thousand of units in far away places that are of no use to people.Of the 50/60 k quoted empty units , how many are where people want to live.
    Look at the demographics roughly 1/3 of the entire poulation is concentrated in the greater dublin area (great planning) young folk can rent,buy apartments etc, but what happens when marriage ,children comes along ,they want a home.Where can they get one they can afford. No developer is going to build units they cannot sell given the current lesson that is being metered out I still maintain that new regulations of construction will increase the costs and to try and target sales at 175k, dross is what would be built on a par with what went for houses built over the last decade.I am managing my own build at the moment and even though it is hearsay the stories some of the trades have told me of their experiences working the big sites there is garbage housing all over the country
    Developers employ sub contractors any developer still solvent will turn their attention elsewhere and wait for better times.The trades folk will not have the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

They won't build the right type of houses. More duplex / town house developements thats what will be 150/175k
    Housing shortage: There are thousand of units in far away places that are of no use to people.Of the 50/60 k quoted empty units , how many are where people want to live.

+1 .......Agreed. Like the massive tax incentives the gov gave for Leitrim/roscommon and the like.

The Gov really BLEW IT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Its not anecdotal - its may actual experience
    Anecdotal doesn't imply false, it just means its unsupported word of mouth.
    Show me a single quote from any source where they are suggesting a 5 to 10 year oversupply. The only stats i have seen have varied between 30-50,000 units .... and 50,000 units does not represent a 5 to 10 supply
    I've seen estimates of over 200,000, although the CSO seems to feel there is around 125,000 or thereabouts. There are 80,000 for sale on daft at the moment, and a large number up for rent, which would indicate people trying to cover the mortgage when they can't sell, so I reckon 125k isn't far off.

Given that Ireland's annual natural demand could be said to be in the region of 35k per year, thats around 3 or 4 years where little to no building is required. Ongoing building seems to be in the region of 20k per year, which extends the overhang even further.
    I will just simply to have to fundamentally disagree with you on this.
    Why?
    If developers cannot achieve a price above their costs they will not build,period.
    Prices for land will and are dropping. Also labour costs will reduce, supply and demand. Where one builder won't do the job for a lower fee, three more will happily step into their place.
    BendiBus wrote: »
    Do you have any reason to think value will play a bigger part next time round?
    I would debate if we see a next time round in our lifetimes. The world has been witness to a global economic crisis that's pretty much unprecedented over the last few months, and an aspect of that was excessive lending on the part of Irish banks. By the time the smoke has cleared, and tbh the fires aren't done blazing by a country mile yet, it will be a long time before they are allowed to lend in such a fashion again, if ever.

This will remove the artificial investor element from the demand side of things, to a certain extent, evening the playing field for first time buyers. In the absence of any other distorting factors, its fairly inevitable that reasonable value must return to the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

I've seen estimates of over 200,000, although the CSO seems to feel there is around 125,000 or thereabouts.

And how many of these are A) empty and B) the owner is trying to sell them ? .... a hell of a lot less than that. I know that where i am from (rural west of Ireland - although don't live) there are about 350 houses in the entire parish of which about 80 are holiday homes that are only occupied for a few weeks a year. Not one of these are currently for sale (judging by daft.ie and all local auctioneering sites) and thus these 80 should not be considered in the 200K you state. Its the same throughout the entire west coast of Ireland with thousands and thousands of holiday homes. Another huge portion of unoccupied homes are in the section 23 counties (Roscommoon, Longford, Leitrim, etc) and on the outskirts of regional towns (in the west think Ballinasloe, Ballina, Claremorris, Ballinrobe, Ballyhaunis, Loughrea, Roscommon town, etc) where it was crazy to build in the first place. Are there really a huge amount of empty houses in Dublin and its commuter belt, same for Galway, Cork, etc.
    As for using stats from daft.ie - well there are 2,300 properties for rent in the west of Ireland but approx 16,500 for sale (although includes sites, land, etc) ..... yes a lot of people wanting to sell but this is not backlog as the houses are obviously to a large degree occupied given the mismatch in figures
    Given that Ireland's annual natural demand could be said to be in the region of 35k per year, thats around 3 or 4 years where little to no building is required. Ongoing building seems to be in the region of 20k per year, which extends the overhang even further.
    For what its worth i don't think any builder in his right mind will build a house over the next 2 years unless its building a one off house for a specific client thus meaning the figure of 20K units is very optimisitic i would say.

Prices for land will and are dropping.
    But the key pieces of land in and around the major cities are still owned by the key big players who will survive no matter what happens and will only start building there once there is a hefty profit to be made be that 2 years, 5 years or 10 years. I know in Kilcock for example that 2 huge chunks of land are owned by builders who bought with cash in anticipation of the Dublin outer orbital route being built. If thats in 10 years or more, the key point is they hold the power.
    Same applies in many other places - take the huge interchange that will be on the M3 a few miles south of Navan ... all the surrounding land which can be developed is owned by all the big players (why do you think FF would not re-route) ... again they hold the power.
    A few miles up the road, all the land to the east of Dunshaughlin is owned by builders who reckon they can build 5-7,000 houses on it if they can the Navan railway line to run right through it. The railway line will not be built in the next 2-3 years but in the long term, these builders again hold all the power.
    Its the same crack everywhere, i.e.: all the strategic land is owned by builders who can sit on it and will only build on it when there is hefty profit to be made even if that is 10 years down the line ..... hence also why CIF hold the power that i suggested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

blast05, none of your arguments argue towards another boom in property, which depends on cheap credit and sentiment. Amateur BTL is probably finished for a generation.

In terms of how much housing we need, it is probably 35K a year absent of enigration (so could be 20K a year if people do leave).

Even if builders undersupply for a while there wont be a huge increase in prices when, and if, supply meets demand. Supply and demand were in sync prior to the boom, during the boom supply was probably ahead of demand and yet prices increased on sentiment, easy credit and irrational exuberance. none of that is coming back.

And how many of these are A) empty and B) the owner is trying to sell them ? .... a hell of a lot less than that.
    While I see what you're saying about commuter towns and poor locations, there was a good lot of prime location development that went on during the boom as well. The prices for these will drop as well, mostly because they saw the greatest price rises.

Look at the graphs here. There are 75,000 houses for sale nationally, and 20,000 for rent. The figures themselves are important, but more important are the trends. Keep in mind this is just on Daft.
    For what its worth i don't think any builder in his right mind will build a house over the next 2 years unless its building a one off house for a specific client thus meaning the figure of 20K units is very optimisitic i would say.
    So what will they do for money over the next two years? Are they all prudent savers and have enough saved from the boom to comfortably tide them over two years? How about three years? What if they only started working in 2005? Emigration won't answer these questions either, the property collapse is a fairly global phenomenon.
    all the strategic land is owned by builders who can sit on it and will only build on it when there is hefty profit to be made even if that is 10 years down the line ..... hence also why CIF hold the power that i suggested
    Well first of all I don't know how you can say with any certainty that all the strategic land in the country has been bought out by developers. Some of them do hold large land banks for sure, but many of them bought in the latter years of the boom, and bought with money from the banks. This money needs to be repaid sooner rather than later, and we've already started to see some large development firms go bust.

The banks may be reluctant to foreclose on such massive losses, but foreclose they eventually must.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Look at the graphs here. There are 75,000 houses for sale nationally, and 20,000 for rent. The figures themselves are important, but more important are the trends. Keep in mind this is just on Daft.

But surely the vast majority of this 75000 are trader uppers/downers who will buy another house. So possibly 50,000 (66% or so to be conservative) are just houses waiting to change hands. Only 25,000 are an oversupply. If 35,000 new houses are needed each year and only 20,000 are being built then at this rate there is about 1 years over supply.

• Advertisement

So what will they do for money over the next two years?
    They won't be working in construction - thats for sure. I see it already with lads from home who were tradesmen for years and years who are gone to Austrlia, UK, US, etc or are now working at something else - agriculture in particular seems to have soaked up a lot of lads.
    In any case, while there may have been hundreds of thousands working in construction - it was only a few thousand that were actually putting up the money to build the 50 or 100 houses or whatever and there is no way those few thousand are going to do anything in the next couple of years if all it will means is bankruptcy (unit costs increasing due to energy regulation so existing stock and second hand stock can 'afford' to be 'cheaper').
    blast05, none of your arguments argue towards another boom in property
    I guess i am losing focus in my rambling posts ! All i am interested in is getting peoples perspective of when they think we have hit the bottom. Greatly varying opinions but sure makes for good reading and food for thought ! For the record i certainly don't think we will see a boom like we did but i do honestly think we will see a bit of a rebound of maybe 10% from about 18 months time due to prices dropping further than they need to (of course they will no doubt have fallen by more than 10% by then) ... and of course there will be plenty of bargains to be had before then from people who are fcuked and have to offload no matter what the price.

ZYX wrote: »
    But surely the vast majority of this 75000 are trader uppers/downers who will buy another house. So possibly 50,000 (66% or so to be conservative) are just houses waiting to change hands. Only 25,000 are an oversupply.
    There were 90,000 houses built in the peak year of the boom, 2006, with an average of 60,000 per year since 2000. That represents a lot of distressed sellers. I'm not sure where you are getting the 66% trader upper/downers (which isn't to say they aren't distressed also). The graph tells a tale all of its own, really.
    They won't be working in construction - thats for sure. I see it already with lads from home who were tradesmen for years and years who are gone to Austrlia, UK, US, etc or are now working at something else - agriculture in particular seems to have soaked up a lot of lads.
    Well I admire your optimism, even if I don't share it. Times have changed, and its not only harder to move countries, its harder to stay there working, unless you mean within the EU, in which case they need to contend with the endless hordes of Eastern Europe.
    there is no way those few thousand are going to do anything in the next couple of years if all it will means is bankruptcy
    Bankruptcy means the bank will seize and sell their assets, including land banks.

There were 90,000 houses built in the peak year of the boom, 2006, with an average of 60,000 per year since 2000. That represents a lot of distressed sellers. I'm not sure where you are getting the 66% trader upper/downers (which isn't to say they aren't distressed also). The graph tells a tale all of its own, really.
    The point is you said there is between 5 and 10 years over supply. Based on these figures the over supply is closer to 1 year. A pretty huge difference. At present Daft has 63.600 properties for sale (and 9900 sites). so your graph may not be as accurate as you think.

The point is you said there is between 5 and 10 years over supply. Based on these figures the over supply is closer to 1 year.
    No, based on your wildly unfounded assumptions the oversupply is closer to 1 year. Based on a realistic assessment, its a great deal more. Or did you think twice the natural demand being built for 6 years would just go up in a puff of smoke?
    pretty huge difference. At present Daft has 63.600 properties for sale (and 9900 sites). so your graph may not be as accurate as you think.
    Its not my graph.

No, based on your wildly unfounded assumptions the oversupply is closer to 1 year. Based on a realistic assessment, its a great deal more. Or did you think twice the natural demand being built for 6 years would just go up in a puff of smoke?

Its not my graph.
    ok. So 63500 properties for sale. (which by the way is falling rapidly. At 19.49 tonight you said it was 80,000 at 21.08 you said 75,000) Lets assume everyone of these is an investor selling property. How does that make 5-10 years oversupply?

ok. So 63500 properties for sale. (which by the way is falling rapidly. At 19.49 tonight you said it was 80,000 at 21.08 you said 75,000)
    According to the graph, it is 75,000. If you have a problem with the stats, you can contact the admin of the site, who from what I understand will be delighted to sort it out or correct you in your misapprehensions.
    Lets assume everyone of these is an investor selling property. How does that make 5-10 years oversupply?
    I have already explained where I was getting the figure from, its hardly my fault you find it difficult to expend the minute or so it takes to read the whole thread.

Bankruptcy means the bank will seize and sell their assets, including land banks.

Exactly, so why would a builder build in the curent climate and end up bankrupt .... as mentioned before i think 10K units being built never year is about as much all we will see - and that will be very much driven by one-off private houses. The early evidence of it is there already in that by Christmas, the guys in construction that work at "shuttering" (laying concerete for foundations etc) will have no work at all .... and the work that these guys have been doing over the last 6 months has not been in house fondations - has been more bridge building for motorways, motorway signs etc. I drink with guys that work at this when i am at home for the weekends and this is direct from them. As said before, CIF have turned off the taps completely
    based on your wildly unfounded assumptions the oversupply is closer to 1 year.

In fairness SS6, there is as much logic to the argument presented by ZYX as yours. You have gone from earlier this evening saying an oversupply of 200K units to now saying an oversupply of 75K units based on the numbers of properties for sale. Again, to restate, even if there are 100K houses for sale in the country, that does NOT mean there is an oversupply of 100K units - a truer (but nonetheless not accurate) barometer is the amount of properties for rent (if you have a property for rent, it does not mean you want to sell it - equally there are many unsold houses not available for rent). The key question is how many properties fit into the categories of A) an unoccupied house and B) available to rent ? .... around 40K i would say - large numbers of which are in the section 23 counties and the type of towns i have previously mentioned.

My prediciton - the oversupply to be cleared in major population centres and commuter belts within 12-18 months. The regional towns and section 23 counties to have an imbalance for 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What was the usual supply of properties on the market when demand was high?

Unfortunately, stats from growing websites (such as Daft, at least during that period) won't show this completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭uncanny

My prediciton - the oversupply to be cleared in major population centres and commuter belts within 12-18 months. The regional towns and section 23 counties to have an imbalance for 5-10 years.

Only if asking prices drop 50% from peak.

Unrealistic asking prices are (still) the major impediment to any recovery in the property market.

Exactly, so why would a builder build in the curent climate and end up bankrupt
    They won't need to, just take a hit on their very high labour costs. You have also failed to answer my question of what they are going to be doing for money for the next three years, besides disappearing into some sort of mysterious farm somewhere over the horizon. Because that isn't going to happen.

I'll tell you what is going to happen.

90% of them will sit on welfare for a few months until their savings dry up and the holiday is over, or their payments on that 06 jeep eat through them. They'll try to nixer their way through it, competing with the Eastern Europeans, before finally they bite the bullet and reduce the "trades" to reasonable costs, when they will finally begin to find a bit of honest work.
    As said before, CIF have turned off the taps completely
    Heh. The only thing I find funnier than that statement is the image of rats deserting a sinking ship it evokes.
    In fairness SS6, there is as much logic to the argument presented by ZYX as yours.
    Equally in fairness, he started pulling nonsense about 66% of those being trader upper/downers out of his hole, and we have yet to see any reasoning behind that.
    You have gone from earlier this evening saying an oversupply of 200K units to now saying an oversupply of 75K units based on the numbers of properties for sale.
    The practise of putting words in someones mouth in order to make up an argument thats easier for you to defeat is called a "strawman". Its old, hackneyed, and really easy to answer. Since there seems to be a chronic case of amnesia running around this thread, I said depending on who you talk to, figures could be as high as 200,000.
    Again, to restate, even if there are 100K houses for sale in the country, that does NOT mean there is an oversupply of 100K units - a truer (but nonetheless not accurate) barometer is the amount of properties for rent (if you have a property for rent, it does not mean you want to sell it - equally there are many unsold houses not available for rent).
    You must have missed the graph just below it so, which shows properties for rent tilted at an angle of around sixty degrees north, and not showing any signs of slowing.

The pair of you can't handwave away 6 years of building almost double the natural demand, regardless of how hard you try. It doesn't bother me that you are trying, however, because reality has a way of not caring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And how many of these are A) empty and B) the owner is trying to sell them ? .... a hell of a lot less than that. I know that where i am from (rural west of Ireland - although don't live) there are about 350 houses in the entire parish of which about 80 are holiday homes that are only occupied for a few weeks a year. Not one of these are currently for sale (judging by daft.ie and all local auctioneering sites) and thus these 80 should not be considered in the 200K you state. Its the same throughout the entire west coast of Ireland with thousands and thousands of holiday homes. Another huge portion of unoccupied homes are in the section 23 counties (Roscommoon, Longford, Leitrim, etc) and on the outskirts of regional towns (in the west think Ballinasloe, Ballina, Claremorris, Ballinrobe, Ballyhaunis, Loughrea, Roscommon town, etc) where it was crazy to build in the first place. Are there really a huge amount of empty houses in Dublin and its commuter belt, same for Galway, Cork, etc.
    As for using stats from daft.ie - well there are 2,300 properties for rent in the west of Ireland but approx 16,500 for sale (although includes sites, land, etc) ..... yes a lot of people wanting to sell but this is not backlog as the houses are obviously to a large degree occupied given the mismatch in figures

The issue of empties has been debated to death here. I'm surprised you haven't dug up info on it as it was debated last week. See here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57803050&postcount=36

Empties are based on ESB and CSO stats. See link provided. Vacancy rate in DCC is 15%+.
    Empties are relative. Somebody somewhere has a mortgage on them plus a developer needs to sell some of them hence trouble for banks.

Now for oversupply.
    There are 4,223 new developents listed on Daft right now http://www.daft.ie/searchnew_development.daft?search=1 which can easily add up to 50,000 units.(anyone bored enough to count?:D)

Now add in 7,000+ new houses being listed on their own so we hit 57,000+ now.

Add in the new houses not listed on Daft but listed on myhome, propertynews etc and you see the total gets higher.

Yes, they are all over the country but you will see a significant amount are in urban and commuterville areas.

To add, rental supply has doubled in Dublin from Oct 2007(3000) to Oct 2008(6,500) (daftwatch plus Daft themselves have stated this)

Normal sales demand is about 35,000, maybe 40,000 max. That includes new and 2nd hand houses, see previous years for house completions in pre bubble period. (hint: CSO have these as well)

That just shows how bad the situation is regarding oversupply.

If we get to the bottom in 18months, define what the bottom is. Is it a bottom price or a sustainable sales market?

As uncanny stated, i'd be delighted if the bottom was reached in mid 2010, it will mean there will be less damage to the economy. It will only happen if prices return to normal levels at 50% off prices.
    equally there are many unsold houses not available for rent). The key question is how many properties fit into the categories of A) an unoccupied house and B) available to rent ? .... around 40K i would say - large numbers of which are in the section 23 counties and the type of towns i have previously mentioned.

How do you know there are 40,000 of the supply are above?

I'd agree of an oversupply of 18 months based on normal demand. The problem is the previously built empties which alot were based on speculation(capital appreciation). Once more of them reach negative equity with purchasers in difficulty, it will add further to the supply.
    Add in difficulties in the rental market with plummeting rents putting some landlords in difficulty, its armageddon!

PS -I'm saving this post in my bookmarks for anyone who keeps bringing up these empty/oversupply topics without doing some research on previous threads. :P

According to the graph, it is 75,000. If you have a problem with the stats, you can contact the admin of the site, who from what I understand will be delighted to sort it out or correct you in your misapprehensions.
    Well the graph is clearly wrong and you quoted it "its hardly my fault you find it difficult to expend the minute or so it takes to" check Dafts website.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?s[cc_id]=&s[search_type]=sale&s[furn]=
    I have already explained where I was getting the figure from, its hardly my fault you find it difficult to expend the minute or so it takes to read the whole thread.
    I know you did. You said demand was 35,000 homes a year. You also said 20,000 new homes are built every year. That is a 15,000 shortfall. If you assume not one of the people selling these 63,000 properties currently on sale is going to buy another house (clearly a ridiculous suggestion) then that makes 4 years supply. I asked you how you got "5-10 years supply"

Well the graph is clearly wrong and you quoted it "its hardly my fault you find it difficult to expend the minute or so it takes to" check Dafts website.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?s[cc_id]=&s[search_type]=sale&s[furn]=
    Erm. What?
    I know you did. You said demand was 35,000 homes a year. You also said 20,000 new homes are built every year. That is a 15,000 shortfall. If you assume not one of the people selling these 63,000 properties currently on sale is going to buy another house (clearly a ridiculous suggestion) then that makes 4 years supply.
    Oho, so we're changing our story now from barely a year's supply now are we?
    I asked you how you got "5-10 years supply"
    One would assume a basic courtesy would be to read the previous posts in a thread, in order that the contributors don't need to repeat themselves. And yet here I am, repeating myself in a post about not repeating myself. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Be careful of the stats on Daft.ie. In Cork there are plenty of empty housing estates say of about 50 houses. On daft there is only one house listed so the other 49 are not posted in the for sale column. This is repeated maybe thirty times and this is just in the cork area. So there is plenty of stock.

Erm. What?
    This shows the number of properties currently on sale with DAFT
    Oho, so we're changing our story now from barely a year's supply now are we?
    No we are not. I think it is about 1 years supply. Even gurramok thinks it is 18 months. I am asking, again "how are you getting 5-10 years?)
    One would assume a basic courtesy would be to read the previous posts in a thread, in order that the contributors don't need to repeat themselves. And yet here I am, repeating myself in a post about not repeating myself. Sigh.
    As I said I have read all your posts on this thread. As I pointed out it makes no sense.

This shows the number of properties currently on sale with DAFT
    Oh right, I had some difficulty with the garbled language and the broken link. Did you contact the admin of daftwatch yet to ask where did he get his figures from? Its not the first time they have been challenged, tbh, but its still taken as fairly accurate.
    No we are not.
    Ah but I think we are. Or are you making the assumption that daft is the only place property is sold? I thought Gurramok covered that already...
    As I said I have read all your posts on this thread. As I pointed out it makes no sense.
    Difficulty with both reading and writing... Are you sure you're a doctor? I mean I've already explained that twice already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

If you assume not one of the people selling these 63,000 properties currently on sale is going to buy another house (clearly a ridiculous suggestion)

I think you are misreading this. The listing on daft.ie is a snapshot at any one time of the overhang in housing. It is the amount of housing not yet purchased. If it remains at 63K all year it does not mean that no houses were bought and sold, but that houses come onto the market at the same rate they come off. So you can't argue that the 63K includes people who are looking for a house for if all people who sold on Daft bought on Daft then the number of houses for sale remain static. it is the fact that the figure is increasing, and has increased, that reveals the amount of houses extra per week that remain unsold. It is all overhang.

In general in a functioning market there would be a few weeks extra housing. That is, if all listings were stopped on daft.ie right now it would take that long ( given sales on daft.ie ) to clear it down to zero.

Whether this correlates exactly to the overall overhang in the entire economy is uncertain. It's probably an underestimate. There are people sitting on houses with mortgage paid who do not have to sell, but may not be able to rent. These people tend to sit on housing until it is clear that there is no option but to sell, and at the moment they may well be optimistic of an upturn. No such upturn is possible.

In fact the 35K is unrealistic. In a recessionary year the country will lose people, and ther recession really hasnt started to bite yet. Next year we may need no new housing, and some developments have yet to complete.

Oh right, I had some difficulty with the garbled language and the broken link. Did you contact the admin of daftwatch yet to ask where did he get his figures from? Its not the first time they have been challenged, tbh, but its still taken as fairly accurate.
    I love this. Daft is wrong, but a site that gets its info from daft is correct (even though he clearly says he may be wrong). Brilliant

Difficulty with both reading and writing... Are you sure you're a doctor? I mean I've already explained that twice already.
    Or translated means -you cannot explain 5-10 years of stock. That was all you needed to say.

I love this. Daft is wrong, but a site that gets its info from daft is correct (even though he clearly says he may be wrong). Brilliant
    I didn't say that daft was wrong, just that I'm not sure how he gets his figures. English not your first language?
    Or translated means -you cannot explain 5-10 years of stock. That was all you needed to say.
    It means I couldn't be bothered to re-explain myself to you. I just don't see the point.

• Advertisement

I didn't say that daft was wrong, just that I'm not sure how he gets his figures. English not your first language?
    Then I will explain it to you. He added together properties and sites for sale. He got this figure
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=&search=1&x=10&y=11
    It means I couldn't be bothered to re-explain myself to you. I just don't see the point.
    Yeah sure.

Advertisement