Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #45 - Faith No More - King For A Day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

possibly their 2nd best, this and The Real Thing. Some great stuff here - Ricochet, King for a day, Evidence. Worthy winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

excellent choice of album - i love it.

especially the song King for a day.
    here it is - with the Godfather in the background!

i agree with buck65 - it is their 2nd best album......behind Album of the Year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

Many a stoned night listening to this album. Caralho Voador is as smooth as it comes... like treacle. King for a day is an oustanding track. Album of the year is my favourite album of there's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Good album, some great tracks but some dodgy ones in there too.
    Also their first album without Jim Martin on guitar.

Of the albums Patton was involved in Angel Dust is definitely their best followed by The Real Thing.
    Album of the Year has two maybe three decent tracks the rest is just woeful. They admitted themselves at the time that things were just not happening for them anymore musically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Good Call.
    I put off buying this album at the time as of poor reviews. That thought me never to listen to reviews.

Just a Man is the best for me, amazing tune.AFAIK they were to play Ireland with this album but cancelled.

• Advertisement

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Good album, some great tracks but some dodgy ones in there too.
    Also their first album without Jim Martin on guitar.

Of the albums Patton was involved in Angel Dust is definitely their best followed by The Real Thing.
    Album of the Year has two maybe three decent tracks the rest is just woeful. They admitted themselves at the time that things were just not happening for them anymore musically.

To quote Mike Bordin in this months Rhythm magazine on Album of the Year "We made that album because we wanted to, not because we had to - there's a big distinction. The songs were sparkling and quality was high"

Tommy, taken from wiki[I know it's not a great source], but remember at around the time of the album release reading similiar reports.
    However, the title of this album displays the band's sense of irony, as the majority of the members of Faith No More were ultimately unhappy with the outcome of Album of the Year and the direction it had taken them. Vocalist Mike Patton was quoted as saying that Faith No More's demise could be partially related to a mutual feeling of artistic futility as a group: "We were starting to make bad music."

Ah your probably right chap, I know there's a lot of FNM fans who dont dig it. And some who havent even listened to it...its a shame.

Gentle Art of Making Enemies & Take this Bottle, the 2 best tracks on King for a Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Heh, I didn't even remember voting for this last week but when I went back to check, my vote was there. Anyway, this is a great album. It was my first Faith No More album purchase and is one of quite a few albums that I have on both audio tape and CD.

I bought it after hearing Digging The Grave on what I assume was MTV (none of your fancy Kerrang TV or Scuzz back in 1995 :) ). I remember being initially disappointed with it as it contained a wide mix of styles when I simply wanted an album of songs like Digging The Grave. As my musical taste matured and became more varied I was able to appreciate the album a lot more.

Favourite tracks for me would be Digging The Grave, Just A Man and Take This Bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

savage album. forv a long time angel dust was the benchmark imo. but i actually am more inclined to listen to king for a day ahead of angel dust. it's variety is amazing,no other band i know could pull off that kind of album imo.

not a fan of album of the year,2 good tracks but the rest is poor by FNM standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I love that album. Digging The Grave and Ricochet are the best tracks I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

my favourite FNM album, there are no bad songs on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Great album - think it's probably my favourite one of there's - do think there's any song I dislike off it!

Advertisement