Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this summer wetter than last summer

• 15-08-2008 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭

i for one think it is , while it was constantly raining from about the 12th of june untill the last few days of july last yr and then from about the 2nd week in august untill the last wk of august , i dont think we had the same amount of deluges , ive never seen anything like the last week , i believe its the wettest week on record

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I think last year was wetter. I rem coming back from the USA from hols on the 3rd may last year and from the 4th onwards it rained and rained. I also rem that time as loads of horse/agricultural shows were cancelled and the big 3 day show in mullingar equestrian centre having to sacrifice using its main grass arena as it was flooded, and that was onthe june bank holiday weekend. tullamore and westmeath agri show were subsequently cancelled then afterwards to name but a few. i think the wet summer last year started earlier and lasted longer than this years, as bad and all as the past few weeks have being. though, at least this year we had a good May and for the most part june. We managed to get hay and silage made in early june this year, in comparison to last year, we got to make none, it was destroyed. either way, both summers have being wet and its probably a sign of things to come i'd say given the current climate change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

I don't care anymore. I've come to accept that I will get nothing done and soaked if I even try.:(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

MDFM wrote: »
    I think last year was wetter. I rem coming back from the USA from hols on the 3rd may last year and from the 4th onwards it rained and rained. I also rem that time as loads of horse/agricultural shows were cancelled and the big 3 day show in mullingar equestrian centre having to sacrifice using its main grass arena as it was flooded, and that was onthe june bank holiday weekend. tullamore and westmeath agri show were subsequently cancelled then afterwards to name but a few. i think the wet summer last year started earlier and lasted longer than this years, as bad and all as the past few weeks have being. though, at least this year we had a good May and for the most part june. We managed to get hay and silage made in early june this year, in comparison to last year, we got to make none, it was destroyed. either way, both summers have being wet and its probably a sign of things to come i'd say given the current climate change.

i dont know what yr you are talking about but may was a fairly good month last yr and the june bank holiday weekend was a scorcher in 2007

this weekend alone has left me in absolutly no doubt that this summer is wetter
    while it rained every day from the 12th of june last summer untill the end of july , a lot of the time it was only drizzle , we hadnt the same frequency of deluges as this yr

compeletly agree with you about climate change , its happening and we have to deal with it as best we can , those who are defiant about it are either in the pockets of big oil or they just like the attention of going against the grain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

last year we here in the east coast had 62 days back to back with rain, so i don think we're there just yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

irish_bob wrote: »
    i dont know what yr you are talking about but may was a fairly good month last yr and the june bank holiday weekend was a scorcher in 2007

this weekend alone has left me in absolutly no doubt that this summer is wetter
    while it rained every day from the 12th of june last summer untill the end of july , a lot of the time it was only drizzle , we hadnt the same frequency of deluges as this yr

compeletly agree with you about climate change , its happening and we have to deal with it as best we can , those who are defiant about it are either in the pockets of big oil or they just like the attention of going against the grain

maybe it was in whatever part of the country you were in but certainly not where i was. i arrived back from nyc on friday may 4th, it was bucketing down when we got into dublin airport. when we got home to longford, we had a lovely time to say the least moving our stock to higher ground, through the floods. i drove to the show in mullingar on sat 2nd june, only to turn around and come home as the grass arena i was to jump in was a swamp..as were the other 2 grass arenas. i went again on sunday morning to compete, i managed to do half a round and retire as i couldnt see where i was going in the rain and no amount of studs would have stopped the horse slidding through the floods. we then had to get pulled out by a tractor that subsequently got stuck and had to be pulled out.
    so thats my memory of the wettest june bank holiday i can remember to date. what part of the country were you in as if i'd known it was a scorcher i would have much preferred to have being there!

• Advertisement

last year we here in the east coast had 62 days back to back with rain, so i don think we're there just yet..

there was more rain yesterday than in 30 of the 62 days you refer to from last yr

there were no pictures on tv of towns flooded last summer

its not even up for debate at this stage, this summer is much wetter , im talking in terms of inches of rain , not the length of time it rained for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

there was more rain yesterday than in 30 of the 62 days you refer to from last yr

there were no pictures on tv of towns flooded last summer

its not even up for debate at this stage, this summer is much wetter , im talking in terms of inches of rain , not the length of time it rained for

Last Summer was much wetter than this Summer. Land was dry up until last 2 weeks.
    This Summer is over and it is now Autumn, so this Autumn is wetter than last Autumn :D

And yes there was pictures of towns flooded on TV last year.

emaherx wrote: »
    Last Summer was much wetter than this Summer. Land was dry up until last 2 weeks.
    This Summer is over and it is now Autumn, so this Autumn is wetter than last Autumn :D

And yes there was pictures of towns flooded on TV last year.

last summer wetter than this summer , what are you on

oh and spare me the lecture on what is technically summer , august is still summer , next you will be telling me that febuary is not winter, its very much winter on a farm just as august is summer on a farm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭hattie-f

i think that the two summer near enouf balanced each other in the amount of rain. Both typicaly irish!!:D
    last year was allot easier because of the way the rain fell.
    for example last year we had sun at the right time for the silage 1st and second cut and just about squeeze in the hay, but then we managed to get our barley cut aswell.
    but this year we got our first cut alright but the second cut was a rush. our hay was caught in the rain and is of bad quality (meaning we had to buy some in) at the moment we dont have our barley harvested which idealy was ready nearly 2 weeks ago..

last summer wetter than this summer , what are you on

oh and spare me the lecture on what is technically summer , august is still summer , next you will be telling me that febuary is not winter, its very much winter on a farm just as august is summer on a farm

Did I lecture any one on what is summer? I was joking hence the big grin like this :D
    This is a lecture on what Summer is::p
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Today, the meteorological reckoning of the seasons is used in Australia, Denmark and the former USSR; it is also used by many people in the United Kingdom, where summer is thought of as extending from mid-May to mid-August. In Ireland, summer begins on 1 May and ends 31 July, by the Irish calendar.

Oh and don't lecture me about what Seasons are to a farmer.
    On a farm there are two seasons which vary year on year. Summer is when cattle go out. Winter is after all crops / fodder are harvested and the FYM /Slurry is all spread.

Last summer we had less opportunity to make fodder, even when we got some weather for making Silage the ground conditions were bad causing the Baler to sink. Its not often that you require 4WD to bale grass. This year we got most of it done in good/ fair conditions.

This year the bulk of the summer was a lot dryer. Its only the last 3 weeks that the ground has become too soft for machines to travel on. I know its possibly the wettest 3 weeks I have ever seen but 3 weeks is not the whole summer.

So it depends on how you look at it. Last year we had more days of rain and the land conditions were bad for more of the summer. This year we probably had more rain fall but it nearly all fell in a very short period of time.

Its definitely a wetter harvest period for tillage farmers.
    I'm still hoping for some improvement as I would still like to take another cut of silage from some fields and spread some more slurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Check out this link. Should put this discussion to bed.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp

kfk wrote: »
    Check out this link. Should put this discussion to bed.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp

too much hassle following that link , give me the jist of it and il take it like a man

Year May Jun Jul Aug 2008 32.7 76.4 111.5 183.2 2007 35 126.4 127.1 95.5 mean 54.8 55.8 50 71.1
    This is from the Dublin Airport weather station.
    August is nearly twice as wet as last year already. But the rest of the Summer was dryer.

The Summer as a whole it appears is wetter this year but the bulk of the rain has fallen in the past two weeks.

Sorry table didn't format correctly in the last post

Year
    May Jun Jul Aug
    2008 32.7 76.4 111.5 183.2
    35 126.4 127.1 95.5
    mean 54.8 55.8 50 71.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

i think we had more days with rain last year but heavier rain this year,when it did come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

don't know about the actual rainfall but our ground conditions are much better than last year ,

think we excaped the worst of the rain for a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The only time I saw a blue sky in Ireland this year was when the plane I was traveling in reached 28,000 feet.

Advertisement