Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Kill

• 15-08-2008 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or the roads I use or is there an increasing number of road kill on Irish roads? Came across a dead fox this morning and it depressed the life out of me.
    Would you stop if you knowingly hit an animal on the road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Would you stop if you knowingly hit an animal on the road?

Depends on the animal and the road..

I would probably stop if i squished some little puppies brains out his ears in a housing estate or on a quiet road,
    But I'm not going to stop if I splatter a fox on the N11 or anything..

I mean, why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Depends what road and how hard i hit it... If i smack a cat at 120kph on the M7 then no i wont stop, if i tip one on a country road then yea, i'd get out to see if it was alright!

Edit: Ooops, was too slow so basically the same as Wazdakka....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah what are you gonna do? Give it a decent burial?
    Its much worse in Australia. Kangaroo carcasses litter the main roads.

Kangaroo carcasses litter the main roads.

SKIPPY NOOO!!!!

:eek:

Kangaroo carcasses litter the main roads.

I guess the car got the jump on him.:pac:

Anybody??

I'll get me coat

• Advertisement

Steve_o wrote: »

Anybody??

I'll get me coat

Oh that's rough.
    What's the rarest roadkill though?
    Too often I see a little kitty, generally with it's eye resting somewhere on it's chest. That's a hard one to take in.

Oh that's rough.
    Too often I see a little kitty, generally with it's eye resting somewhere on it's chest. That's a hard one to take in.

I saw a fully grown stag with perfect antlers dead on a road once after an encounter with a jeep... It was sad seeing something so powerful and proud like a stag dead on the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Anybody??

I'll get me coat

Room for improvement on that one.

I've never hit an animal yet which is good going considering the menagerie I pass every day. Foxes, rabbits, dogs, pheasants, cats, rats and the odd badger.

I think legally you have to report hitting a dog to the Gardai. I'm not sure where I heard this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I saw a fully grown stag with perfect antlers dead on a road once after an encounter with a jeep... It was sad seeing something so powerful and prooud like a stag dead on the road!

Guy driving in front of me hit a deer in the Phoneix Park once. His car was in bits. The deer too, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I would stop to check if there was any damage to the car. Some animals could do a lot of damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

It makes me really sad when I see dead animals on the road, it doesn't matter what type. Passed a dead hedgehog this morning and felt bad. The only animal I've ever hit was a pigeon. Felt terrible. My sister-in-law hit a tiny kitten a month ago, absolutely smashed it's leg up, bones sticking out and everything. Well she felt awful as the kitten was still alive, so I went with her to the vet and she paid E25 to have it put down and cremated. The vet said that apparently cats can survive trauma a really long time, and that kitten could have lain in that ditch for two days before it died.

So yeah, if I hit something I'd stop to check. If you mangle an animal and it's still alive, you should put it out of its misery, or pay to have it done.

*Kol* wrote: »
    I would stop to check if there was any damage to the car. Some animals could do a lot of damage.

Yea I Absolutely milled into this five year old kid
    a Fox once, little bugger came out of nowhere. Luckily Saabs are built like tanks.. Still shattered my reg plate..

Fox.. yea.. thats it

>.>

<.<

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Yea I Absolutely milled into this five year old kid
    a Fox once, little bugger came out of nowhere. Luckily Saabs are built like tanks.. Still shattered my reg plate..

Fox.. yea.. thats it

>.>

<.<

Heheh, Lionel Hutz comes to mind... "I ran over his dog once, actually replace dog with son and once with repeatidly"... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Country must be rotten with badgers - I seem to see a couple every time I go on a long spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The amount of roadkill seems to spike with their mating seasons as they roam further lookin for some lovin'

More concrete road medians make it harder for animals too
    Eg: Glen o'Downs in wicklow, large woodland area intersected by concrete divided road. If it were those wire rope fencing in the middle badgers and hedgehogs could get through at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The amount of roadkill seems to spike with their mating seasons as they roam further lookin for some lovin'

Hopefully we might start to see human road-kill outside Coppers and Flannerys, so. :D

stovelid wrote: »
    Hopefully we might start to see human road-kill outside Coppers and Flannerys, so. :D

You know if they are still twitching that counts as consent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Came across a dead fox this morning and it depressed the life out of me.
    Me too! I just love Foxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

More concrete road medians make it harder for animals too
    Eg: Glen o'Downs in wicklow, large woodland area intersected by concrete divided road. If it were those wire rope fencing in the middle badgers and hedgehogs could get through.

Or an underpass at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yeah seeing a lot more lately. I always feel sad seeing them, no matter what animal it is. And loads more crows recently, must be some big crow suicide pact going on. The only thing I've ever hit was a badger but he was actually fine, made such a bang that I thought he was well squashed and the car was in bits but he ran off in to a field and looked fine. Little dent to my car though. Badgers are strong. I hope to God I never hit a dog or cat, I'd feel awful :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The \/\/anderer

Heheh, Lionel Hutz comes to mind... "I ran over his dog once, actually replace dog with son and once with repeatidly"... lol

pfft. Nothing worse than a mis-quoted simpsons quote.

I think you meant:
    Hutz: Now don't you worry, Mrs. Simpson, I - uh-oh. We've drawn Judge Snyder.
    Marge: Is that bad?
    Hutz: Well, he's kind of had it in for me, since I accidently ran over his dog. Actually, replace `accidently' with `repeatedly', and replace `dog' with `son'.

pfft. Nothing worse than a mis-quoted simpsons quote.

I think you meant:

Your version is also incorrect. Tut tut. Pedantry only works if you get it right.

go on so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I've definitely noticed a big increase in roadkill this year compared to previous summers, and I agree, it can be very depressing/upsetting, particularly if it's something that you wouldn't see around a lot, like a deer or badger.

Thankfully, I've never run over anything, but sparrows have flown into my windscreen on two separate occasions.

Actually no wait, I have run over something, but on purpose - a blackbird flew under the van directly in front of me a few months back and got spat out the back of it, pretty mangled but still flopping about on the road. I ran over him on purpose to put him out of his misery.

Factoid: If you hit a deer in the Phoenix Park, you've to pay compensation to the State.

go on so....

And feed myself to the pedants? I don't think so. I prefer to smugly stand back and poke fun without actually putting my own credibility on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Rayven199

I hate road kill!! It makes me sick every time I see it
    I would probably cry If I hit something (involuntary reaction!) but I love animals so hate seeing them dead.
    Haven’t hit anything yet, but I think it happens to everyone!

Oh and if you hit a dog, apparently you are required by law to stop as it is a licensed animal!

I'll leave this one be for fear of going too far off topic (I verified that quote on 2 different websites!! But i did have a feeling the real quote was a bit different)

On topic, the only thing i've ever hit with my car was a seagull. Flew straight into my windscreen. I think he was ok though! So was my windscreen :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Oh that's rough.

Try more lubricant.

I've definitely noticed over the last few weeks that on any trip I'm out on a country road, there's going to be at least 3 instances of roadkill for any 15 minute journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

MOH wrote: »
    Try more lubricant.

I've definitely noticed over the last few weeks that on any trip I'm out on a country road, there's going to be at least 3 instances of roadkill for any 15 minute journey.
    badgers and foxes being top takers....:(
    did run over a dog once ... he lived:)

• Advertisement

Came across a dead fox this morning.

Pervert :mad:
    boogle wrote: »
    So yeah, if I hit something I'd stop to check. If you mangle an animal and it's still alive, you should put it out of its misery, or pay to have it done.

That's why i carry a baseball bat in the boot. Although, i broke my last one and had to improvise while i waited for a new one to be posted over from the states. Hit a dog while the bat was in the post. Had to make do with a snooker ball in a sock.

Advertisement