Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Kill

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

nearly hit a hedgehog last week, missed him though thank god. worst one i seen was a pony fell out of a horsebox while travelling on a bag road and a transit van hit him :( was very very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

i hit a cow once - had to do the honourable thing

irene4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Is it just me or the roads I use or is there an increasing number of road kill on Irish roads? Came across a dead fox this morning and it depressed the life out of me.
    Would you stop if you knowingly hit an animal on the road?

so you had to chance to bring dead fox home and make a loverly coat for this missus. But decided to pass up the chance

shame:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The only thing i would stop for are humans, nothing else, not even dogs(unless they ****ed up my car) its a tad bad i know, but wtf is stopping gonna do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The only thing i would stop for are humans, nothing else, not even dogs(unless they ****ed up my car) its a tad bad i know, but wtf is stopping gonna do?

Eh... well even if you didnt hit the animal it could still have a heart attack from the shock of the near miss.
    This is why all motorists should learn CPR!

So if anyone comes across me at the side of the road lips locked on a badger its not because I want to... its because I have to! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Is it just me or the roads I use or is there an increasing number of road kill on Irish roads? Came across a dead fox this morning and it depressed the life out of me.
    Would you stop if you knowingly hit an animal on the road?

oh yeah, straight into the pot, nom nom:)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/jan/31/foodanddrink.britishidentity
    For most, a squashed hedgehog or flattened badger lying on the side of the road is a tragic sight - for Arthur Boyt it is an opportunity for a free, tasty and nutritious meal. Mr Boyt has spent the last 50 years scraping carcasses from the side of the road and chucking them, together with a few herbs and spices, into his cooking pot.The retired civil servant has sampled the delights of weasel, rat and cat. His most unusual meal was a greater horseshoe bat, which he reckons is not dissimilar in taste to grey squirrel, if the comparison helps. Fox tends to repeat on him. He has tucked into labrador, nibbled at otter and could not resist trying porcupine when he came across a spiky corpse while on holiday in Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Don't think you're allowed to stop for animals, unless it's totally safe.

Ahhh, road kill, is there any tastier meat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Afford you the opportunity to make sure they not lying at the side of the road in agony, but not quite dead???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

splinter wrote: »
    nearly hit a hedgehog last week, missed him though thank god. worst one i seen was a pony fell out of a horsebox while travelling on a bag road and a transit van hit him :( was very very sad.

Christ how could a pony fall out of a horsebox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

OH Roadkill I have done quite a bit in my time and once damaged a car, I brake for no animal except those that may damage my car.

I regularly aim for rats and have killed a good share, I have also ran over at least three foxes this year twice intentionally and nearly drove into a ditch because of it. I hate Foxes and and have run over three this year.:D

I spent some time on a farm as a child and after hand rearing lovely innocent pet lambs to find them dead after a fox killing them means I will never ever avoid killing them if possible. Cruel maybe but the Fox is a born killer and not native to Ireland the danes introduced them here to interupt the Irish eco system. I take pity on the Badger but if he is in my way I drive straight on, I ran over a Hare once and felt pretty bad as Hares are so magestic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

mumhaabu wrote: »
    I regularly aim for rats and have killed a good share, I have also ran over at least three foxes this year twice intentionally and nearly drove into a ditch because of it. I hate Foxes and and have run over three this year.:D.

I think you will find thats dangerous driving !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I think you will find thats dangerous driving !

Indeed it is, although I'm sure it is forgiveable considering it was at 2 O Clock in the morning in a rugged 4x4 I use for when in the more remote parts of the province.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I spent some time on a farm as a child and after hand rearing lovely innocent pet lambs to find them dead after a fox killing them means I will never ever avoid killing them if possible. Cruel maybe but the Fox is a born killer and not native to Ireland the danes introduced them here to interupt the Irish eco system. I take pity on the Badger but if he is in my way I drive straight on, I ran over a Hare once and felt pretty bad as Hares are so magestic.

I hope your sheep are one of the very few native breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Sheep have been bred to flock together and to be stupid and pliable. "Pet lambs"? Jeeeeeeeeez. Lambs belong in either my stomach or failing that, a Fox's.

Pet lambs. I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Went through a spate recently where suicidal critters were just throwing themselves under my car; it was bizarre. In one morning, coming home from Dublin after a night out, five o'clock, I accounted for two birds and a rabbit in the one journey, none on purpose. The feckin' rabbit was standing at the other side of the road with that stupid "sure, will I just go for it sure?" look common to rabbits and so many denizens of Blessington. *THUMP* Little bugger should have stayed where he was it seems. Also, another morning heading to work, I got great amusement watching a magpie flying lazily across a field, straight in front of me as if it never saw me, *THUMP* off the front bumper, puff of feathers. Broke that seven AM boredom anyway. Was in a car with a mate when a deer jumped the hedge and landed in front of it too, sika calf, small deer, but made shíte of the car. None of my tally have left any more significant imprint on my car than a few black and white feathers in the radiator grille, but that cost him two grand in repairs, very nearly a write-off. Only regret is not having $hifty's weapon of choice handy. Nothing nicer than venison calf. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I see a gap in the market - a Roadkill Restaurant in Ireland.
    Recession proof.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I see a gap in the market - a Roadkill Restaurant in Ireland.
    Recession proof.

Well, if the recession gets worse, you'll get a load of vagrants walking the roads. I was thinking of a number of cheap dishes:

Vagrant Vol aux Vonts

Hobo Hotpot

Tramp T-bone

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

There may possibly be legal issues with that.
    Maybe not though.

No, vagrants and tramps are legally recognised as being "Free Range".

So, theres no need to worry about damaging your organic credentials.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Christ how could a pony fall out of a horsebox?

Think it might be one with a wooden floor must of fell through it and the trailer went over it,

Saw that in a town near me once cow went through the floor got dragged along luckily the driver noticed and stopped looked quiet bad though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Well, if the recession gets worse, you'll get a load of vagrants walking the roads. I was thinking of a number of cheap dishes:

Vagrant Vol aux Vonts

Hobo Hotpot

Tramp T-bone

Soylent Green ftw. NYOM!

Advertisement