Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to get a landline - which is cheapest

Options
  • 15-08-2008 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to get a landline, for my monitored alarm, but it's never going to be used for phone calls - who's the cheapest out there?????

Thanks,

CJM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ask the providers first - eircom supply a product now which doesn't use a landline at all - they have their own SIMs and they operate over one of the mobile networks. I haven't looked into it at all, but I was surprised when the sales guy said it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Perhaps you can use a virtual number via Blueface, and just divert it to your mobile number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Monitored alarms generally do not work over VoIP lines like blueface, you may even have problems getting them to work with Digiweb Metro (wireless) or UPC Cable phones (NTL/Chorus).

They're designed to work with normal land lines only.

You'll also find that the alarm company won't connect to any service that's totally dependent on having 230V mains power as there's a risk that it could be switched off.

As mentioned above, eircom phonewatch offer GSM monitoring using a little module with a SIM card that connects to the alarm. These modules have built-in battery back up that keeps them going for days in the event of the power being turned off and they're absolutely rock solid and connect very reliably.

Advertisement