Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First-time pass statistic?

Options
  • 15-08-2008 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Don't have the stats to hand but the pass rate is somewhere between 45 and 55 per cent for most centres I think. Logically the average number of tests needed to pass is two.

As for your friend's theory, I think you know where that's coming from, has he failed his test often?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

http://www.drivingtest.ie/Stats%20English.pdf

The countrywide average is 57% passing on the first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Quite right. My bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm always amused at the view that it is a 'money-making racket'. I'd say it is probably run at a loss. I can't see how the fee for a B test would even pay the wages of an examiner nevermind all the other administrative personel.

€38 is a very reasonable price for something that many people will only have to do once. It wouldn't even buy half a tank of fuel or a round of drinks!

Surely if it was intended as a 'money-making racket', it would cost several hundred euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

I passed my driving test the second time....failed the first time with 9 grade 2's and 1 grade 3....passed yesterday with one grade 2....surely in 2 months time you cannot improve that much, can you? I do think that they're supposed to 'meet' certain statistics...on the other hand, I think SGS testers are more friendly than the RSA testers...could be wrong though..

Cheers,
    Magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

passed on my first try

got 8 marks on the sheet in total, most were in vehical controls, i told the tester that i wasnt used to driving a petrol car as ive really only driven a diesel, he told me after the test he took that into consideration while i was doing the test

damn was i lucky and it was a couple days before christmas so maybe he was in a good mood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm the only person I know who didn't pass first time. (I had only got the car 3 weeks earlier though!)
    All the others did their tests with SGS, my first one was an RSA where I failed by a hilarious amount and a month later passed with 4 grades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

magicEye wrote: »
    I passed my driving test the second time....failed the first time with 9 grade 2's and 1 grade 3....passed yesterday with one grade 2....surely in 2 months time you cannot improve that much, can you?

I think it depends what base you're coming from. If you've been driving for years, 2 months mightn't make a difference to your bad habits etc. unless you make a serious effort to alter them, but if you're really still "learning", i.e. awkward with the clutch control/gear changes, then two months can see a massive improvement... especially if you have a test report that points out your weak spots.
    I'm the only person I know who didn't pass first time. (I had only got the car 3 weeks earlier though!)

I think of all the people I canvassed when I was learning, only one had passed first time! He was the only one though who had had his own car and been driving to work every day for a year. Everyone else had to borrow a family member and the mammy's car for an hour or two at the weekend! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

It's a strange area this.

I know some people who have passed first time when they where 17/18 and they are more dangerous on the road than any L driver I know, They seem to think because they passed that young on their first go they are invincible on the road. One person I know passed his test when he was 17, first go. Now he's banned off the road, but he's still out there flooring it down the main roads! Not fair really.

I think if you practice with a good instructor and are a safe driver and pass that young, well done. But sometimes the system doesn't see it this way.

Advertisement