Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft invest in Boards.ie

Options
  • 15-08-2008 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭

Daft.ie invests in Boards.ie...

Guys just to give you a heads up, I know the news will get out pretty fast today.

The are business sensitive issues that we will not discuss of course.

This is the formal press release..

Guys

Would like to let you guys know that the daft guys (Daft.ie) have invested and taken a minority shareholding in boards.ie.

What we do has not been decided, but we will find a good use for it to improve boards.ie.

Following is the press release:

Dublin, 15th August 2008 (Embargo 7am)

Daft Media, owner of leading property website Daft.ie, today announced the acquisition of a minority stake in Boards.ie for an undisclosed sum.

Boards.ie is Ireland’s largest community website and attracts an audience of approximately one million monthly unique visitors. The investment will help strengthen the position of Boards.ie as a top Irish brand and online destination. There will be continued investment in the Boards.ie in order to maintain growth and seek out new audiences. Over the longer term, both companies have committed to continue to provide an independent and neutral platform for Irish consumers to voice their opinions.

“We are very happy to welcome Daft on board as partners in Boards.ie“, said Gerry Shanahan, Managing Director, Boards.ie. “This investment will give us the ability to invest further in infrastructure, to add more features to the website and ultimately provide an improved service to our community of users.”

Commenting on the investment, Eamonn Fallon, CEO at Daft Media “We strongly believe the future of media is online and Boards.ie is well positioned to be a leading player in Irish online media. Our combined audience is over 2.1 million unique viewers every month which is larger than most TV stations in Ireland. We are very happy to be working with the Boards.ie guys and look forward to helping them grow their business”.

Ends

Notes to the Editor

About Daft Media
    Daft Media is one of Ireland's largest online media groups. Its flagship title, Daft.ie, is Ireland's largest property website. In 2007, over €60 billion worth of Irish property was listed on the site. The latest audited report from ABCe (April 2008) shows traffic of 75 million page impressions and 974,595 unique users. Daft Media acquired Property.ie in March 2008.

About Boards.ie Boards.ie is Ireland’s largest community website that connects hundreds of thousands of Irish people of similar interests and gives them a platform to talk to each other. It hosts online communities interested in a huge range of topics from GAA to fashion, from movies to DIY. In July 2008, Boards.ie delivered 17 million page impressions to over 950,000 unique users.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Looks like I was beaten to it:)

Link to first online news here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055356383

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Thats pretty cool.
    Hope it all goes well

~NevF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Fight the system, use myhome.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Well done guys. Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Boards.ie selling out? I never thought I'd see the day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well done lads. Just think how much money you guys put into this years ago and now maybe there will be a proper return.
    Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boycot daft.ie!

WTF? Boards hitches its wagon to a leech of the declining property market?

Ah well, I guess it could have been eircom (or Northern Rock)!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Sounds good to me. Once the direction the Higher Ups have in mind never needs to be compromised then investment can only be a good thing and help with the growth of boards as an entity.

Good news imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I dont think the Admins have ever had anything but the interests of the community in mind so they have my 100% trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

as long as it remains to be community > commodity you'll continue receiving my vote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Does this mean CuLT's getting a pay raise?

(OK CuLT I said it, please un-ban my family)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Well done, stick to your core values, brilliant that the investors are indigenous Irish. Great future ahead,I can see the old print Media going the way of the record companies.

Great if the doomsayers in the Media get outed by fresher, real alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

6th wrote: »
    I dont think the Admins have ever had anything but the interests of the community in mind so they have my 100% trust.

Didn't they make you mod already?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I assume this will mostly reflect in ads.
    Cloud for prez in the new world domination venture :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So what happens when people start giving daft.ie a hard time over in accomidation or what ever be it related to the investment or not? Will see charter changes that daft.ie is off limits?

I'm not saying its gona happen but you know it gnerally does!

Personaly I think it’s a good. I know a few of the lads from daft so its nice to see them do well as well

Daftboards3.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kearnsr wrote: »
    So what happens when people start giving daft.ie a hard time over in accomidation or what ever be it related to the investment or not? Will see charter changes that daft.ie is off limits?

I'm not saying its gona happen but you know it gnerally does!
    Daft.ie will not be given preferential treatment.

If the Daft guys want to comment on-thread, they can. But this isn't going to be the start of censoring people for badmouthing daft or for mentioning myhome.ie and the other inferior sites :p

Is the current deal subject to a clause regarding a maximum stake?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

seamus wrote: »

If the Daft guys want to comment on-thread, they can. But this isn't going to be the start of censoring people for badmouthing daft or for mentioning myhome.ie and the other inferior sites :p

By the way seamus, vexorg must have forgot to mention it. Part of the agreement was that you were going to be fired...

No. srsly. :pac:

Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I presume they'll have there own spot on Daft.ie that will link with boards.ie.
    Boards will probably see more traffic now ,from property roamers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You can buy shares in boards.ie?Cool.Well done admins.

nevf wrote: »
    By the way seamus, vexorg must have forgot to mention it. Part of the agreement was that you were going to be fired...

No. srsly. :pac:
    That's fine, I'll just issue an invoice for 7 years of unpaid overtime.

Much click through traffic I wonder?

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Is the current deal subject to a clause regarding a maximum stake?

Mike.
    I doubt you'll get an answer to that one Mike. None of your business tbh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

You can buy shares in boards.ie?Cool.Well done admins.
    No you can't in general.
    People have been offering on the boards (and more seriously in private, I assume) for years now.
    But the admins reckon that the daft guys have come up with the first offer that they can consider properly, as their work ethic and vision for the future of blah blah social etc is about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

From Silicon.ie
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/11213/new-media/daft-owner-makes-a-shrewd-investment-in-boards-ie
    Daft owner makes a shrewd investment in Boards.ie

The owner of property website Daft.ie, Daft Media, has acquired a minority stake in Ireland’s largest community websites, Boards.ie, for an undisclosed sum.

Established by John Breslin 10 years ago as a community notice board for Quake gamers – with the expectant words “The first of many messages, I hope” – Boards.ie has evolved into a major Irish brand and online destination with a monthly audience of one million unique visitors.
    Now members post on everything from personal problems to cars, property, music and movies.

“This investment will give us the ability to invest further in infrastructure, to add more features to the website and ultimately provide an improved service to our community of users,” explained Gerry Shanahan, managing director of Boards.ie

The shrewd move by Daft.ie will create an online powerhouse with a combined audience of over 2.1 million unique viewers, exceeding that of even established TV channels.

The new management team said its immediate focus is to maintain growth of its respective sites but also seek out new audiences.

“We strongly believe the future of media is online and Boards.ie is well positioned to be a leading player in Irish online media,” said Eamon Fallon, chief executive of Daft.ie, a major Irish destination for property buyers, sellers, landlords and tenants. In 2007, at the peak of the Irish property boom over €60m worth of Irish property was listed on the site, which boasts 974,595 unique users.

“Our combined audience is over 2.1 million unique viewers every month, which is larger than most TV stations in Ireland. We are very happy to be working with the Boards.ie guys and look forward to helping them grow their business,” Fallon added.

To give an insight into the potential direction of the evolving franchise, last year Boards.ie acquired the Boards Group, an international chain of domains, from founder John Breslin.

The Boards Group comprises several domains: boards.us, a site for discussing all things related to the US; boards.jp, a Japanese animation fan site; and smaller discussion sites for New Zealand and China.
    The acquisition also included Journals.ie and Planet Journals, a popular blog hosting and aggregation service that Breslin started three years ago.
    By John Kennedy

Pictured: screenshot of Boards.ie website

boards.us needs a new injection of traffic though: it seems very very vacant the vast majority of the time - I famously challenged it dead in the feedback froum there. No offense to buffy bot, but the traffic there has whittled down to about 5-10 people, who visit infrequently.

Mena wrote: »
    From Silicon.ie
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/11213/new-media/daft-owner-makes-a-shrewd-investment-in-boards-ie
    Daft owner makes a shrewd investment in Boards.ie
    Pictured: screenshot of Boards.ie website

I'm waiting for the inevitable "horrible skin" comment we get every time someone posts a screenshot with the normal skin.

• Advertisement

i like the skin tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement