Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft invest in Boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Did somebody stand in front of the door to the Thunderdome while the lads from Daft were looking around so they couldn't see in or what?

Mr. DAFT: What's behind that door?
    DeV: Nothing. Just an old storage area.
    Mr. DAFT: Sounds kind of noisy.
    DeV: Eh ...a noisy old storage area. Shall we move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

wheres the champagne, coke and hooker celebratory party going on???

or do ya have to be a mod/admin to get an invite :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

snyper wrote: »
    I wonder is my position still tenable
    Do I detect a pun? :p

Interesting news ... !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

snyper wrote: »
    There is no mention of The Snyper in that press release.

I wonder is my position still tenable
    i'd say your position is still elevenable, whatever about a bit younger...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I must admit I like guaging interest more and more these days pertaining to stuff. More gauging interest is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

One of the lads that owns daft was in my class in college. One time he went from the back of the lecture hall to the front, by crawling under peoples desks, popping up every couple of rows for comedic effect.

That's about the only time I remember him actually turning up for a lecture :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Vexorg wrote: »
    Daft.ie invests in Boards.ie...

Guys just to give you a heads up, I know the news will get out pretty fast today.

The are business sensitive issues that we will not discuss of course.

This is the formal press release..

Guys

Would like to let you guys know that the daft guys (Daft.ie) have invested and taken a minority shareholding in boards.ie.

What we do has not been decided, but we will find a good use for it to improve boards.ie.

Following is the press release:

Dublin, 15th August 2008 (Embargo 7am)

Daft Media, owner of leading property website Daft.ie, today announced the acquisition of a minority stake in Boards.ie for an undisclosed sum.

Boards.ie is Ireland’s largest community website and attracts an audience of approximately one million monthly unique visitors. The investment will help strengthen the position of Boards.ie as a top Irish brand and online destination. There will be continued investment in the Boards.ie in order to maintain growth and seek out new audiences. Over the longer term, both companies have committed to continue to provide an independent and neutral platform for Irish consumers to voice their opinions.

“We are very happy to welcome Daft on board as partners in Boards.ie“, said Gerry Shanahan, Managing Director, Boards.ie. “This investment will give us the ability to invest further in infrastructure, to add more features to the website and ultimately provide an improved service to our community of users.”

Commenting on the investment, Eamonn Fallon, CEO at Daft Media “We strongly believe the future of media is online and Boards.ie is well positioned to be a leading player in Irish online media. Our combined audience is over 2.1 million unique viewers every month which is larger than most TV stations in Ireland. We are very happy to be working with the Boards.ie guys and look forward to helping them grow their business”.

Ends

Notes to the Editor

About Daft Media
    Daft Media is one of Ireland's largest online media groups. Its flagship title, Daft.ie, is Ireland's largest property website. In 2007, over €60 billion worth of Irish property was listed on the site. The latest audited report from ABCe (April 2008) shows traffic of 75 million page impressions and 974,595 unique users. Daft Media acquired Property.ie in March 2008.

About Boards.ie Boards.ie is Ireland’s largest community website that connects hundreds of thousands of Irish people of similar interests and gives them a platform to talk to each other. It hosts online communities interested in a huge range of topics from GAA to fashion, from movies to DIY. In July 2008, Boards.ie delivered 17 million page impressions to over 950,000 unique users.

Can I ask if this in effect means there will be more censorship of topics on boards.ie and stricter rules? We have it pretty good with what we can discuss now without fear of being banned or whatever. The scope is very wide. My only concern would be that Boards will become, if you like, 'too mainstream'. Do you think this is a possibility? If it does there is a risk the site will automatically lose alot of its appeal IMO. I hope they dont try and make the site less open. Maybe im wrong but I would be wary of it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

darkman2 wrote: »
    Can I ask if this in effect means there will be more censorship of topics on boards.ie and stricter rules? We have it pretty good with what we can discuss now without fear of being banned or whatever. The scope is very wide. My only concern would be that Boards will become, if you like, 'too mainstream'. Do you think this is a possibility? If it does there is a risk the site will automatically lose alot of its appeal IMO. I hope they dont try and make the site less open. Maybe im wrong but I would be wary of it personally.

DeV
    It wont be any different now. Firstly, the Daft guys are cool and copped on, they wouldnt do that. Secondly they'll get told a curt "I'm sorry, we dont do that". Its simply a non issue, but I'm publically telling you (and indirectly I guess Daft), that you arent to vary any decisions pro- or anti- Daft as a result of this announcement. Its just a non-issue anyway.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0815/daft.html

http://www.immobilienportale.com/2008894-daftie-investiert-in-community/

Intriguing prescience from Cloud
    Just looking at the latest Alexa Web Search - Top 500 for Ireland, I see that Daft.ie, eircom net and boards.ie are sitting in places 14 to 16 respectively in the listings. However, I may choose to disregard the top 13 sites (multinationals like Google, eBay etc. with or without an Irish presence) for purposes of my ego…

Mike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

DeV

Thanks. Missed that post. There I was thinking that Daft.ie might not want to be associated with a forum like the Thunderdrome for example. But if their cool im cool :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 One.Time

Gordon wrote: »
    I must admit I like guaging interest more and more these days pertaining to stuff. More gauging interest is good.

Interesting :)
    mike65 wrote: »
    Boycot daft.ie!

WTF? Boards hitches its wagon to a leech of the declining property market?

Ah well, I guess it could have been eircom (or Northern Rock)!

Mike.

That and the rest of your posts.....? Your opinion is little thought off.

Stop being a little bitch.

I for one welcome this new move. I can't wait for the fickle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you are? :pac:

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Are you are? :pac:

Mike.

Three words and you fuked up a simple question. Who am I? Glad not to be you :)

Same book. Different page tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DeVore wrote: »
    Not really, no. The community can be fostered and nurtured but it exists as a mass of connections between users and a structure of moderation and self-regulation powered by good will , good will which arises ultimately from agreement between all parties that something worthwhile is being built and in itself that is a reward.

I have a feeling some (most?) people get that and some dont. :)

DeV.
    thats a very unique insight isnt it :)

Overheal wrote: »
    thats a very unique insight isnt it :)[/quote

You can find plenty of books and material on the subject. Quite a few.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

oooh you're my hero onetime...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

SteveC wrote: »
    oooh you're my hero mantime...:pac:

FYP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

javaboy wrote: »
    FYP
    hehehe

He <3's me - really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Can I buy some shares? :)

bug wrote: »
    Can I buy some shares? :)
    No prob - just PM me yore credit card details and I'll sort it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Next you'll be telling me I'm a trusted business compatriot and your country is at war, kind friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well from when i first joined Boards all those years ago this was a much smaller place, yet watched over by and run as best the admins and mods could. But over the years it has only grown and got better, and this decision could only have been taken with consideration in mind.

I for one welcome it, and may Boards.ie continue to shine for a long time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I feel like we've been adopted or something. Are they nice, these Daft people? All I've heard is they want to buy me and they like to crawl under desks and rent bedsits bijou riverside apartments.

I'm concerned tbh.

bug wrote: »
    Next you'll be telling me I'm a trusted business compatriot and your country is at war, kind friend.
    Nothing of the sort my reverend friend. I do however have the sekrit access codes to the vault under teh boards servers containing all of the Smods unpaid overtime wages and if you send me your bank account details then maybe we can free the vast fortune from the new evil oppresors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

You know property is ****ed when the property companies start investing in internet forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Ladies and gentlemen, uh, we've just lost the picture, but what we've seen speaks for itself. The forum has apparently been taken over -- 'conquered' if you will -- by a master race of giant space property aggregators. It's difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will consume the captive admins or merely enslave them. One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the web moguls will soon be here. And I for one welcome our new property overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted boards poster, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground server rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

DeVore wrote: »
    Not really, no. The community can be fostered and nurtured but it exists as a mass of connections between users and a structure of moderation and self-regulation powered by good will , good will which arises ultimately from agreement between all parties that something worthwhile is being built and in itself that is a reward.

I have a feeling some (most?) people get that and some dont. :)

DeV.
    I understand. As boards has very little in terms of assets or income all you could sell is a portion of goodwill. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill_%28accounting%29

Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i like the daft website

i like their name; at a time when the property and rental markets were going crazy they were the ones that decided that they would call a thing what it is

i like their product i rember the beginning of the rise i rember cycling round ratmines with an evening herald going from flat to flat stopping only at payphines to call more landlords with rat infested basement flats their product shows you where and lets you see a flat before you tear round to it only to find that a new tenant has already joined in the roaches five-a-side league

i for one welcome our new daft overlords

well done lads i hope ye are finally getting to reap what ye have sown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Pm sent.
    I haven't got a limit on the card so there shouldn't be a problem...

• Advertisement

nevf wrote: »
    Pm sent.
    I haven't got a limit on the card so there shouldn't be a problem...

Here you go:

cert1.jpg

:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement