Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft invest in Boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

congrats to boards management and shareholders on recent development.

best of luck with the future.

p/s: since everyone now wants a piece of boards, i'll be selling boards gold plated share certificate on adverts soon. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Congrats guys, glad you've found someone agreeable to invest in boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

new kit and equipment for the soccer team so ya?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sunday Business Post coverage

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=35210-qqqx=1.asp
    Users of Boards.ie, the popular online discussion forum, will find themselves targeted by increased advertising after Daft Media, owner of the Daft.ie property website, took a minority stake in the business.

Gerry Shanahan, managing director of Boards.ie, said that, with approximately one million unique visitors every month, the site was now the sixth most popular site in Ireland.

However, despite its position, the site has relatively low advertising revenues.

He said that the vast bulk of advertising on Boards.ie came from Google Ads, which did not provide large revenues.

With almost 17 million pages on the site at present, there was an opportunity to present more sophisticated advertising without being overly intrusive, he said.

However, the immediate priority for investment would be in new equipment and hardware which would allow the site to deliver a better service to its users.

Boards.ie will also consider hiring more staff. At present, the only employees are Shanahan and a full-time developer. Shanahan said the deal was the result of almost six months of negotiations. He said that Boards.ie had several approaches from potential investors, but the approach by Daft ‘‘struck the right note’’.

Odhran Ginnity, chief operations officer at Daft, said that the large amount of traffic to Boards.ie was one of the key motivating factors for pursuing the investment.

‘‘There are major advertising opportunities on the site, but we are very mindful of the fact that it is a community and we don’t want to damage that,” he said.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just to give one users opinion:

I personally don't care at all if there is more advertising on the site. There's virtually none at the moment and there is plenty of room for more without it becoming intrusive. Just as long as nothing pops up in a new window or they don't have them rollover ads which expand to half the page when you roll over them by accident :P From a business perspective I've always said you guys could make so much more with the site than you are. Glad to see that's going to happen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I for one welcome our new.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I hope things dont change that much, I like it here just the way it is :D

I dont mind ads at all, as long as the commercial industry dont take over and start telling you how to run things around here. I realise you guys have put a lot of time, love, sweat and money into building this site and making this site what it is today and congratulations on that. But it would be a shame to see someone come in and take over.

6th most popular? I would have thought it was NO 1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Trinity1 wrote: »
    6th most popular? I would have thought it was NO 1 :)

It is number one, it's 6th's most popular site in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

cormie wrote: »

Oh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

FACT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As I started reading the announcment by Vexorg, I couldn't help but notice that his postcount is 666. This must be a sign....!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

it's always 666 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ah from the humble beginings of Lecerta.ucg.ie.....

Grats guys been a long road and there is plenty more to travel. At least now you can afford the decent high octane pertol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

wasnt it lacerta?

Again, congrats lads, and don't forget to give us share options before the mega millions IPO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I personally don't care at all if there is more advertising on the site. There's virtually none at the moment and there is plenty of room for more without it becoming intrusive.
    Two column layout ftw. The key to advertising, which google has cracked, is to make it appropriate to the location. So set it up so that property adverts get shown in Accommodation, book adverts in Literature, DIY weapons courses in Zombie survival, gyms and club ads in sports, and poo adverts in AH, etc. You already have your categories organised, so then you need a sales rep pounding the pavement to build up a decent portfolio of clients. :D Put more than adverts in the second column to make it useful, of course, and maybe paying users don't see them or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Sorry if this has been asked before, but with the daft investment, can we see a decrease in the price of the subs perhaps?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kaimera wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but with the daft investment, can we see a decrease in the price of the subs perhaps?
    I think the price of the sub is very reasonable for the amount of entertainment boards gives me.

Moar sub featurez FTW..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

SteveC wrote: »
    I think the price of the sub is very reasonable for the amount of entertainment boards gives me.

Moar sub featurez FTW..:pac:

I agree. I think a subscription is quite cheap. Only reason I haven't subscribed is because boards doesn't accept money by carrier pigeon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I personally couldn't see why, boards.ie still has to be a profitable company and has to pay its employee, while at this time the subs don't interest me they do appear to be reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Just get the sub of the day, its better value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Point taken.

I have/am subbed but was just wondering would it entice moer to subscribe.

@fuzzy: no thanks left but danke for the rofl

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think a better way to do it would be to give more value to the subscribers but then again we dont want to move the core product towards a subscription model, everyone agrees that being open and free is the winning combo for Boards. A nutty concundrum but one that can be solved by improving the range of features on offer I think...

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    wasnt it lacerta?

Again, congrats lads, and don't forget to give us share options before the mega millions IPO.
    It was lacerta.ucg.ie but that wasnt the start of it! We moved there from Eircom when Eircom nearly extinguished us at short notice :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

DeVore wrote: »
    I think a better way to do it would be to give more value to the subscribers but then again we dont want to move the core product towards a subscription model, everyone agrees that being open and free is the winning combo for Boards. A nutty concundrum but one that can be solved by improving the range of features on offer I think...

DeV.

Jaysus. The property tycoons move in Wednesday and by Thursday we're all talking Wall Street.

The core product? A subscription model? You used to be cool DeV. :D

I spend a lot of my time as a management consultant. Sorry about that :)

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    I spend a lot of my time as a management consultant. Sorry about that :)

DeV.

No problem. Just keep the boardroom speak at a minimum going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

javaboy wrote: »
    Once that's done, revert back to me so we can throw a few curveballs and pick off the low-hanging fruit.

seamus wrote: »
    Once that's done, revert back to me so we can throw a few curveballs and pick off the low-hanging fruit.

Let's run a few ideas up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

at the very least, the synergistic nature of this deal gives boards great traction in the 2.0 space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

javaboy wrote: »
    So you're saying that instead of enhancing revolutionary channels in order to implement vertical deliverables, we need to mesh virtual initiatives with productised wireless e-tailers to reinvent value added niches? Proactively?

Seriously though, those who were going to subscribe have already done so, the core demographic here doesn't have the means I feel to subscribe regularly.

Might I suggest running a sitewide poll to test the waters for a two column layout, maybe with options for which side of the page its on and the content in it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement