Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft invest in Boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

:eek:

EH!? I dont think I want a two column Boards! euuuw! Stinky nasty ads down the side??

If we change anything it might be to make the banner ad the next size up because it does look a bit lost there now that almost everyone uses 1024x768 or higher when we have the makeover... but, like, I'm still tossing that one about... dual columns on Boards?! Are ye mad?? :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

DeVore wrote: »
    Are ye mad?? :)
    You need to ask? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So set it up so that property adverts get shown in Accommodation, book adverts in Literature, DIY weapons courses in Zombie survival, gyms and club ads in sports, and poo adverts in AH, etc.
    Ads are already weighted like this - go into the poker board and most ads are poker related.
    seamus wrote: »
    Once that's done, revert back to me so we can throw a few curveballs and pick off the low-hanging fruit.
    Silly, silly, silly. Never go for the low-hanging fruit. For a minimum investment, stand on a chair and pick the next lowest hanging fruit, then the low-hanging fruit. Low-hanging fruit is a limited time offering only - the more you pick, the higher the branch gets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Victor wrote: »
    Ads are already weighted like this - go into the poker board and most ads are poker related.
    Yes Google ads are keyword based - I was educated in how they work not too long ago. If you don't like an advertiser, click their ad as many times as possible - they get charged for each click...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Jaysus. To think I used to come here to get away from the work ****e.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    No, thats google based adverts, they aren't (financially) worth a damn, in my experience, you're taking a middleman's cut of a middleman's cut, which wasn't that large to start out with. Not to mention that they can be very offtopic depending on the particular thread you are talking about.

I meant rotating adverts of a variety of templates, whether graphics, flash, text or affiliate, specifically chosen for that forum by the admins with agreements from local advertisers in place so boards get the full whack of the payment. Hell, if you are worried about distracting flashies, just mandate that they not be shown, copy the google template and keep the profits. Thats the only way to do web advertising. You would need someone out there on a fulltime basis making deals though, but thats okay, sales reps should bring in their own pay++. If they aren't, fire them.

There are a lot of things besides adverts you could put in a narrow column as well, links to less well know but useful parts of boards, external websites, user cp stuff, random slices of blogs, links to a chatroom, comment box, whatever. People don't mind adverts so much if they a) are in context and b) come with a perceived added value, such as more readily accessable facilities.
    SteveC wrote:
    Yes Google ads are keyword based - I was educated in how they work not too long ago. If you don't like an advertiser, click their ad as many times as possible - they get charged for each click...
    And that would be click fraud, emphasis on the fraud.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Jaysus. To think I used to come here to get away from the work ****e.
    Now now, its always a good time to integrate turn-key platforms while iterating plug-and-play relationships so we can embrace intuitive portal niches.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SteveC wrote: »
    Yes Google ads are keyword based - I was educated in how they work not too long ago. If you don't like an advertiser, click their ad as many times as possible - they get charged for each click...:D
    Now Steve, google are tiny bit more savvy than that. They see X amount of clicks coming from the same IP / User Agent in quick succession and they dump all of them and ignore them.

If there's a lot of that going on from a single site/referrer, they can penalise the site in question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

seamus wrote: »
    Now Steve, google are tiny bit more savvy than that. They see X amount of clicks coming from the same IP / User Agent in quick succession and they dump all of them and ignore them.

If there's a lot of that going on from a single site/referrer, they can penalise the site in question.
    Didn't think that through, did I? :o

/note to self - stop posting when drunk...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Just a suggestion: I think that anyone who recommended Daft.ie on boards before they invested should be given free money.....lots of free money.

Oh....would you look at that, I recommended them! What a coincidence!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

DeVore wrote: »
    :eek:

EH!? I dont think I want a two column Boards! euuuw! Stinky nasty ads down the side??

If we change anything it might be to make the banner ad the next size up because it does look a bit lost there now that almost everyone uses 1024x768 or higher when we have the makeover... but, like, I'm still tossing that one about... dual columns on Boards?! Are ye mad?? :)

DeV.
    what does Eamonn F. think? :D

On a more serious note - does this mean boards will be run more like a democracy and less like an oligarchy/playground for *mods?

boards would be more popular, and therefore more commercially successful if it was run on a more democratic basis - some *mods love to quote the "this is not a democracy" line when a poster feels hard done by - regardless of case. Some quite senior mods are infamous for not reading up the full facts before coming to conclusions. I know several people who don't post here because of this - I was one myself for a while.

So - now that boards is more accountable as it has an important shareholder - can we look forward to a better standard of democratic and accountable modding, making boards an appealing place to the wider public?

That's a very strong statement for somenoe who only registered 4 months ago. I'm sure the admins of this non democracy are quivering at their keyboards after reading your analysis of why the whole boards model is wrong and is on the brink of oblivion.

That's a very strong statement for somenoe who only registered 4 months ago.
    I forgot the noob card.
    SteveC wrote:
    I'm sure the admins of this non democracy are quivering at their keyboards after reading your analysis of why the whole boards model is wrong and is on the brink of oblivion.
    your attitude epitomises all that is wrong with boards

VH wrote: »
    your attitude epitomises all that is wrong with boards
    (nice ninja-edit - mikes my reply harder..:D)
    If that's the case, how do you explain the fact that boards is such a success? If it's a horrible communist dictatorship then why so many users?

it's a moderate success, not a huge one - there are other irish sites that dwarf boards.ie

which is my point - boards could be bigger if it was run better - presumably this is what the paymasters at daft will want to see

Really? - where?

rte.ie, ireland.com, daft.ie, goldenpages.ie are all huge by comparison

rte.ie, ireland.com, daft.ie, goldenpages.ie are all huge by comparison
    None of which are discussion forums or even remotely similar. Why not compare boards with google.ie then...

I don't see where you are going with this...:confused:

I said it already: boards as currently run will not maximize its position and therefore its success/commercial value

• Advertisement

You seem to have all the answers so let me know when your next uber successful site is going online and I'll be happy to invest.:)

it went online Aug 15th - thanks for asking :D

10 days - I assume it's got at least 300,000 unique (Irish IP) hits by now. I salute you for being able to manage such a big site and still have the time to whinge about boards.

10 days - I assume it's got at least 300,000 unique (Irish IP) hits by now. I salute you for being able to manage such a big site and still have the time to whinge about boards.
    We measure our success in dollars :D It's been a good 10 days :D I'm on holidays now after the launch - hence the time to post here

EDIT: what I do has nothing to do with the success/lack-of of boards by the way

I take it you've more dollars than friends then...;)

I take it you've more dollars than friends then...;)
    Which would you prefer? ;)

Friends

Friends
    LOL! Good luck so!

Do you think daft bought in cos they wanted more friends - I don't think so!

LOL! Good luck so!

Do you think daft bought in cos they wanted more friends - I don't think so!
    The reason Daft bought in can only be seen on the super sekrit admin forum (which is only stored in molecular form on a damp beermat). Us mortals will never know.

Good luck taking over teh interweb. I hope you remember this pleasant little exchange and look favourably on me next week when you have enough dollars to buy out boards..:D

• Advertisement

The reason Daft bought in can only be seen on the super sekrit admin forum (which is only stored in molecular form on a damp beermat). Us mortals will never know.

Good luck taking over teh interweb. I hope you remember this pleasant little exchange and look favourably on me next week when you have enough dollars to buy out boards..:D
    I'll think of you as a hippie with no commercial sense if that makes you feel any better :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement