Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Training Dilemma

Options
  • 15-08-2008 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hope I'm posting this to the right forum.

In the past 3-4 months I've taken up doing weights at home - at this point I'm totally focusing on my arms, shoulders and stomach (sit-ups) - I also cycle a couple of times a week between 25-50k and have been eating a resonably healthy diet.

I decided to take this up as was not feeling very good about myself - was starting to put on weight due to an unhealthy diet and very little exercise.

Basically starting out I was just over 11 stone and now I'm about 10 and a half -> 10 and 3 quarters - I feel a lot better now but am now concerned that I'm losing too much weight as lots of people have commented on this fact.

I know it takes time to build muscle but it would appear, looking in the mirror, as though all excess fat has been burned off my arms and shoulders and now they are quiet thin and boney - maybe this is a transitional period one goes through before they start to build muscle.

Anyway am just look for some advice on steps going forward.

Is there anything I should be taking to help build muscle while I exercise?

Also has anybody got any effective exercises for building up the shoulders.

Thanks in advance.

EireEV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

how often are you training these muscle groups? and wat sets - reps are you doing for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

5 days a week and that is possibly one of the problems.

I do 4 sets of 50 sit-ups, 4 sets of 20 reps using 7kg arm weight on each arm and 4 sets of 25 reps using 2 X 2kg weight for shoulders.

losing 1/4 to 1/2 of a stone isnt going to be tat noticable, your more than likely overtraining these muscle group by training them 5 days a week and they just look depleted from the overtraining, and with reps of 20-25 your only going to build mostly endurance and very little muscle, my advice would be to join a good gym and check out starting strength

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

and also read the stickies with regard to diet

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Thanks for the advice Dave. Should I be taking any muscle building supplement?

Anybody got any advice on effective exercises for building up one's shoulders?

EireEV wrote: »
    Should I be taking any muscle building supplement?

depends really on wat your diet is like and then if you want to supplement your diet with say a protein powder!
    EireEV wrote: »
    Anybody got any advice on effective exercises for building up one's shoulders?

standing press with a barbell is prob the best, again check out starting strength its all in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hey EireEV, it may be a good idea to post up your diet, your age and your height also wether your male / female.
    I don't think that 2Kg dumbbells are going to cause you to be over training your shoulders.
    If you're worried about losing too much weight and want to put on some more muscle, then eat more and lift heavier weights, Dave's link is a great place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

dave80 wrote: »
    losing 1/4 to 1/2 of a stone isnt going to be tat noticable, your more than likely overtraining these muscle group by training them 5 days a week and they just look depleted from the overtraining, and with reps of 20-25 your only going to build mostly endurance and very little muscle, my advice would be to join a good gym and check out starting strength

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

and also read the stickies with regard to diet

I'd echo this post Eire.

Doing 2kg & 7kg weights are never going to add much muscle.

Good luck with the starting strength should you decided to take it on and keep your progress logged here :)

Advertisement