Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Computer Society

Options
  • 15-08-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I ran a search but I couldn't find anything about them on boards(except the thread about the e-voting!). What's people opinion on them? Are they worth joining?

I'm just hitting the year mark in a junior sys admin job, i've a degree in BIS from UCC and just looking to add more to my CV for the future. I'm studying for the MCSA at the moment and i thought i might joining the ICS aswell. Is it worth it? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Is it worth it?

No, I didnt think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

Depends what you want to get from the membership. They do student memberships which are pretty much free, so wouldn't do you any harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 miselemeas

ICS, in addition to their other activities, are now the certification body for ECDL.

You'll find their website at http://www.ics.ie/main/homepage.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

If you have a degree in computing the ECDL is a waste of time being honest..

ICS memebership doesnt really do much for you for the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Ginger wrote: »
    If you have a degree in computing the ECDL is a waste of time being honest..

To amplify the "ECDL is a waste of time" I did the ECDL tester course so I could supervise ECDL exams in my last job.... they congratulated us half way through since none of us fell asleep. The best way to describe it was "Death by powerpoint"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

The ECDL is a pure waste of time alright, got that in transition year in secondary school. Looking through the ICS website there doesn't really seem to be a lot of benefits for the cost as Ginger was saying, just discounts off courses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 playbunnyplay

thats a bit strong isnt it to say ECDL is a waste of time considering most recruitment agencies are telling ppl that are looking for work in office work/admin or considering changing jobs to go into office work that ECDL is the benchmark for most employers when looking for office staff... can honestly say that where i work anyone applying for job without ECDL there CV goes "straight to file" which means it goes in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I think having a Computing degree kinda overrides the need for an ECDL tbh..

Anyone in recruitment with any cop on at all would realize that someone who has the ability to create applications like word,excel etc would be more then proficient in using them.. In fact would be over qualified for many office jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

If you are looking for a job in IT with an ECDL it definately goes straight to file.

Office work sure as the requirements are different.

Advertisement