Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on a English Reg???

Options
  • 15-08-2008 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've called a few Insurance companies about getting insured on a English reg car, all of them have say, no sorry no companies insure British Reg cars in the South, I know this isn't true- anyone have any numbers, I'm looking to get insured on a 88 BMW 318- I'm 26, 1years no claims, I shouldn't have any trouble, should I. Any good brokers about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

spiderdan wrote: »
    Hi, I've called a few Insurance companies about getting insured on a English reg car, all of them have say, no sorry no companies insure British Reg cars in the South, I know this isn't true- anyone have any numbers, I'm looking to get insured on a 88 BMW 318- I'm 26, 1years no claims, I shouldn't have any trouble, should I. Any good brokers about?

Don't think so, there were exceptions in the past with the north and that but a company will only cover you in the republic if your car is registered to an address in the republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Your vehicle must be registered at an Irish address to be insured in Ireland. What's the story, trying to avoid VRT/Road Tax? Why otherwise would you want to insure a UK reg'd car?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

No its just that when I'm bringing the car back to Ireland I want it to be insured on the Roads in England, getting off the boat in Ireland etc, a bloke I worked with said he got insured off some Brokers in Ire, who does everyone else who imports cars into the country do it??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Most companies will cover cars on a UK plate for the few days it takes to get the car home and VRTd.

Hi OP,

Have you tried quinn. I had my english reg car with them for months with no problems before moving to the uk and I have already got a quote form them as im returning.

However my car is registered in my name to a uk address if the car is not actually reg'ed in your name to a uk address I wouldnt drive it for too long as the car must be in your name to meet the terms and conditions of insurance, not in limbo. i.e exported from uk but not registered in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

No its just that when I'm bringing the car back to Ireland I want it to be insured on the Roads in England, getting off the boat in Ireland etc, a bloke I worked with said he got insured off some Brokers in Ire, who does everyone else who imports cars into the country do it??

Ring your insurance company & tell them you are buying a new car in UK, ask them to do a temporay substitution for a month so you can collect car & pay VRT. (should be free)
    If this fails ask for a temporary additional vehicle to be added to your policy, you will be charged for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Give them the VIN number and then give them your new Irish registration number once you get it. Explain that you're importing the car and will register it as soon as you can.

Worked for me last year with Axa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

As said, if you are just bringing the car to Ireland, you should have no problem transferring your existing insurance for a few days to allow you get the car in and VRT it. You should be able to do this based on the English reg although some companies may want the VIN as well.

Trying to insure an English reg car on an ongoing basis while living at an Irish address is a no-no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TheFoozinater

Arry here now..... ..... no-no :rolleyes:

I was in the uk a while back.... for about a week... and since have been living back home in ireland for the last two years with english reg's on two seperate cars !! :D

I rang quinn and asked how they felt about it, and as far as they were concerned once it was registered in Ireland England Scotland or Wales ....
    they were happy enough to insure it !!

As we all know anyway..... VRT is an illegal tax in all EU states.....
    and thus by paying this tax.....
    YOU ..... yes ..... YOU ..... are acting illegally :mad:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I had no problem getting Axa to insure my car on UK plates. in fact I forgot to tell them when I put Irish plates on it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

...grabs popcorn...

Arry here now..... ..... no-no :rolleyes:

I rang quinn and asked how they felt about it, and as far as they were concerned once it was registered in Ireland England Scotland or Wales ....
    they were happy enough to insure it !!

:D

This is exactly what quinn told me when I insured my car with them. They basically dont care once the car is reg'ed in your name. So its far from a "no-no"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

When I bought a car in britain, I changed my current insurance which was on an irish car( car was sold) to the british one. The insurance company just asked me to inform them when I registered it here.
    So maybe they will insure you if you already had a policy on an irish car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I was insured on NI plates for about 3 months before I vrt'd my car with Quinn. In fact, I even have an insurance claim (allbeit, the other party's insurance) that has just been finalised, all of which was when it was on NI plates.

I too forgot to officially change my policy to the Irish reg.. :)
    mcwhirter wrote: »
    When I bought a car in britain, I changed my current insurance which was on an irish car( car was sold) to the british one. The insurance company just asked me to inform them when I registered it here.
    So maybe they will insure you if you already had a policy on an irish car.

Exact same situation as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Yep, Quinn will insure a UK reg car for the entire length of the policy, if needed. I just rang them up to confirm. As long as the car is registered somewhere on the British islands or Ireland, they'll insure it. Handy! ;)

You see this is what I'm saying....

from an insurance point of view.... they really only care that the car is registered in your name, and that it is fit to be on the road....

The rest comes down to your own conscience.....

can you get up in the morning and look at yourself in the mirror.....
    knowing you are being illegal......

I find it hard .... I must say.... hence we should comply with EU law and stop being acting illegaly :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

If your driving around on UK regs, do you renew your tax in UK??
    Quinn take on anything & everything so it wouldn't surprise me bout insuring uk regs, just read the small print in case of a claim ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Keith C wrote: »
    If your driving around on UK regs, do you renew your tax in UK??

Many years ago, I was driving about in a UK import for a while before I got the tax sorted out, and the boys in blue were Not Amused when they noticed that the UK tax had run out, a dead giveaway at any checkpoint.

These days they are a lot less easygoing, and you risk having the car seized until you pay a fine on top of the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Keith C wrote: »
    If your driving around on UK regs, do you renew your tax in UK??..

Quinn told me that an Irish policy cannot be used to renew UK car tax, which sounds about right. However, I've read on here that some people have re-taxed a UK car, that's insured by Quinn on an ROI policy, at post offices in the North.

The rest comes down to your own conscience.....

can you get up in the morning and look at yourself in the mirror.....
    knowing you are being illegal......
    It's a very public form of tax evasion, i'd be more worried about neighbours/colleagues/acquaintances informing revenue, maybe having to explain to the kids one rainy morning why the man's taking daddy's car away, ensuing audits, that sort of thing.

• Advertisement

benifa wrote: »
    Quinn told me that an Irish policy cannot be used to renew UK car tax, which sounds about right. However, I've read on here that some people have re-taxed a UK car, that's insured by Quinn on an ROI policy, at post offices in the North.

You can renew tax with a irish policy. When I moved to the uk first I used my irish policy for a few months so I would not lose out on another years no claims driving. I renewed my tax no problem with my irish policy. Went into the post office showed my irish cert of ins, mot and renewal letter no questions asked.

maybe having to explain to the kids one rainy morning why the man's taking daddy's car away, ensuing audits, that sort of thing.

let the little feckers walk....
    maybe then there would be a bit less obeseity in this country....
    for gods sake ... you'd swear they were going to melt !!!
    Or.... is it that it would weaken their "natural defences" :rolleyes:

but thats besides the point....

so are you suggesting that my neighbours would be stupid enuf to report me for complying with EU law... when they are breaking it ?

this sounds like a most unusual thing to do !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

You can renew tax with a irish policy. When I moved to the uk first I used my irish policy for a few months so I would not lose out on another years no claims driving. I renewed my tax no problem with my irish policy. Went into the post office showed my irish cert of ins, mot and renewal letter no questions asked.

I don't really understand exactly what you did here, but here is a question.
    If you have an NI tax disc that runs until, say, September.. can you get your Irish tax from September onwards, or do they backdate it to when the car was VRT'd? (I've always understood it as the latter, backdating etc.. but your post made me think).

You would have to have had it declared off the road...... which would require a trip to your local gardaí .... and a pretty good excuse :D

"Hello Guard" :D

Vertakill wrote: »
    I don't really understand exactly what you did here, but here is a question.
    If you have an NI tax disc that runs until, say, September.. can you get your Irish tax from September onwards, or do they backdate it to when the car was VRT'd? (I've always understood it as the latter, backdating etc.. but your post made me think).

Sorry my post wasnt very clear. What I did was renew my uk tax using an irish cert of insurance as in the uk you must prove you have insurance before you can tax your car(I was living in the uk at the time). It was in reply to benifa who did not think this was possible.

To answer your question They would not take the uk tax into account, thefoozinator is correct you just need to get it signed off the road in your local station and then they will not backdate the tax.

so are you suggesting that my neighbours would be stupid enuf to report me for complying with EU law... when they are breaking it ?

* yawn *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

When I was comming off the ferry, customs were looking at tax disks on english registered cars to identify cars being imported. BTW if you return to britian and if you have valid UK tax on a car you imported to Ireland you can claim it back in the post office if there is time left in it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As we all know anyway..... VRT is an illegal tax in all EU states.....

Yawn, are we doing this again. No it's not an illegal tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

benifa wrote: »

If someone is deciding to break the law and not pay VRt and thus paying Irish motor tax, why on earth would they bother throwing good mooney away taxing a UK car for no reason. The Authorities in the UK wont give a crap that a permenently exported car hasnt been retaxed.

Which raises the other issue. When the dvla are informed that the car is being exported, then it is effectivly deregistered there. So how could you even go about taxing it? (unless of course the sellign party doesnt send off their section of the V5, in which case they are stupid because they are leaving themsleves open to fines etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

let the little feckers walk....
    maybe then there would be a bit less obeseity in this country....
    for gods sake ... you'd swear they were going to melt !!!
    Or.... is it that it would weaken their "natural defences" :rolleyes:

but thats besides the point....

Whatever man, the Law is the Law in Ireland, you can blab on about EU law all you want but until the EU push it through Customs will look for money off you and seize your vehicle if you don't

Advertisement