Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on a English Reg???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Stekelly wrote: »
    If someone is deciding to break the law and not pay VRt and thus paying Irish motor tax, why on earth would they bother throwing good mooney away taxing a UK car for no reason.

As I noted earlier, the Irish cops at a regular checkpoint will spot an expired UK tax disc: this has happened to me. This will start them asking questions, so if you're trying to dodge paying VRT, you can't have an expired UK disc in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

..The Authorities in the UK wont give a crap that a permenently exported car hasnt been retaxed.

Which raises the other issue. When the dvla are informed that the car is being exported, then it is effectivly deregistered there. So how could you even go about taxing it?..

We're not talking about exporting a UK car. We're talking about insuring a UK car in Ireland. That is, a car that is still registered in the UK and has not been exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

benifa wrote: »
    We're not talking about exporting a UK car. We're talking about insuring a UK car in Ireland. That is, a car that is still registered in the UK and has not been exported.

Yes but its not supposed to be. An Irish resident is not allowed to drive a foreign registered car in Ireland. Full stop.

Either way, it has to be registered somewhere so when it's bought the V5 has to be sent off to either change ownership (which they wont do to an Irish adress) or be permenantly exported (which is what happens when an irish resident buys acar in the uk to bring home)

Yes but its not supposed to be. An Irish resident is not allowed to drive a foreign registered car in Ireland. Full stop.

Either way, it has to be registered somewhere so when it's bought the V5 has to be sent off to either change ownership (which they wont do to an Irish adress)

They will not register it to an irish address but the car can be registered in your name to a family or friends address in the uk. That is if you have friends or family there.

Not that EU law is a favourite here in Ireland, it is still valid none the less. You have 6 months to register your car in Ireland, from the date you became resident here.

Oh, and a person can be legally resident in more than one EU Member State at any one time. Also, the Member State in which you are resident depends on where you are at the time. I can be resident in Ireland today, Germany tomorrow and Italy the next day.

It's all defined in European Directive 2004/38/EC.
    Either way, it has to be registered somewhere so when it's bought the V5 has to be sent off to either change ownership (which they wont do to an Irish adress) or be permenantly exported (which is what happens when an irish resident buys acar in the uk to bring home)

A UK car must be registered to the UK address at which you are resident at the time of purchase. If you move to another address within the UK, the address on the V5 must be changed to the new. If your place of residence moves to outside the UK, the address on the V5 need not be changed, unless your new Member State of residence becomes your country of residence for over 6 months.

• Advertisement

A UK car must be registered to the UK address at which you are resident at the time of purchase. If you move to another address within the UK, the address on the V5 must be changed to the new. If your place of residence moves to outside the UK, the address on the V5 need not be changed, unless your new Member State of residence becomes your country of residence for over 6 months.

We arent talking about a UK resident moving house here though. We are talking about an Irish person going to the UK and buying a car.

We arent talking about a UK resident moving house here though. We are talking about an Irish person going to the UK and buying a car.

Ok, even in that case, an Irish citizen becomes resident in the UK the day he arrives there. If he then returns to Ireland, he ceases to be a UK resident and becomes, once again, and Irish resident. In that case, EU law applies in respective the 6 months time limit on registering a vehicle from another Member State in the Member State of residence.

I know it sounds far-fetched, but the way EU law defines residence is all in Directive 2004/38/EC.

Ok, even in that case, an Irish citizen becomes resident in the UK the day he arrives there. If he then returns to Ireland, he ceases to be a UK resident and becomes, once again, and Irish resident. In that case, EU law applies in respective the 6 months time limit on registering a vehicle from another Member State in the Member State of residence.

I know it sounds far-fetched, but the way EU law defines residence is all in Directive 2004/38/EC.

You dont become a resident of a country when you go on holidays there.

If it were as simple as your making out, everyone in the country could just take a shopping trip to Newry every 6 months and leaglly avoid VRT and motor tax. Try it and let us know how you get on.

You dont become a resident of a country when you go on holidays there.

Yes, you do. Read the Directive.
    If it were as simple as your making out, everyone in the country could just take a shopping trip to Newry every 6 months and leaglly avoid VRT and motor tax. Try it and let us know how you get on.

Theoretically, yes, you could do exactly that. Off-topic, but a trip to Newry and a night in a B&B, in order to acquire a period of residence in the UK, is exactly what many EU/non-EU couples had to do, to fulfil the Irish Department of Justice's ridiculous prior residency clause 3(2) of SI 656 of 2006. That is, before the European Court of Justice ruled the clause as legally invalid on 25th July this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

My UK Reg car is insured here with Eagle Star - when I rang they said it didn't matter that it was UK Reg, I could insure it with them for up to a year on those plates.

• Advertisement

cAr0l wrote: »
    My UK Reg car is insured here with Eagle Star - when I rang they said it didn't matter that it was UK Reg, I could insure it with them for up to a year on those plates.

The insurance wont care but the Gards and/or revenue will should they encounter you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, you do. Read the Directive.
    You can accumulate days of residence, i.e. days when you were resident in another EU member state, but that doesn't make you a resident (or odinarily resident, which is what matters here) until you've racked up 183 days, or six months or whatever the limit is.

Alun wrote: »
    You can accumulate days of residence, i.e. days when you were resident in another EU member state, but that doesn't make you a resident (or odinarily resident, which is what matters here) until you've racked up 183 days, or six months or whatever the limit is.

Exactly and you would rack up the cost of the VRt fairly quickly by paying for hotels/b&bs for 6 month of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

The insurance wont care but the Gards and/or revenue will should they encounter you.

I encoutered the Guards last week at a checkpoint - I have all the docuements to prove my car is legally on the road here.

I was an UK resident for over a year - I have just moved back home.
    My insurance ran out the week I was home, the company I work for couldn't decide if I was being transferred back to the UK or not, so insured the car here as I was not going to be covered by my UK company on a long term basis here.

This thread is about Irish companies insuring UK cars - I am just answering the OPs question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but the cousin just bought a car in England and AXA are covering him.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

I know plenty of people who travel over to buy cars & never have this problem. You just have to inform them of what you are doing. Normaly the reg & the make/model of car will suffice.

So if you have a policy now it should be no problem. If you have no policy at present I can see your dilema!

Just insure yourself on some cheap banger for the time being & tell them you're headin to UK to buy a drive back a car. They shouldn't have any problem with this regadless of who you're insured with!

Advertisement