Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Audi A4 TFSI 211BHP SE Vs BMW 320d M Sport 174 BHP

Options
  • 15-08-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if you had a choice which one would you go for?

I'm trying to decide what my next car will be!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I'm too lazy to look myself, so... links or pics please?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You've got a petrol FWD car with a big boot versus a diesel RWD that's very involving to drive...

I'd need more info on your requirements before I'd even dare to suggest what would fulfill your needs best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'd need more info on your requirements before I'd even dare to suggest what would fulfill your needs best.

You sound like a personal assistant :D

Id have the A4, simply because I would prefer the TFSI engine to the BMW's diesel engine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

211bhp would help me decide alright :)

C_Breeze wrote: »
    You sound like a personal assistant :D

I'm a car salesman, and we're taught that the first thing to do is to assess the customer's requirements before making any kind of suggestion on model or spec.

As an Audi salesman, any views I'd post here would be seen as suspect as I have an obvious preference for one make over the other. :o
    Id have the A4, simply because I would prefer the TFSI engine to the BMW's diesel engine

That being said, I'd take the Audi because I prefer it as a car. Petrol vs petrol or diesel vs diesel, I'd be happier in the Audi.
    Add to that that you're talking about the 2.0TFSI (which I can't wait to drive in the A4/A5) and the choice is simple for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If depreciation is a concern then there's no question the beemer will hold it's value much better.
    If quattro is in the equation, then it might be tough, but I think I'd actually go with the beemer, despite the good engine in the Audi. There is just no feel through the steering of the new A4. That puts me off no end. Pity really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Take AudiChris' advice buy the Audi !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'm a car salesman, and we're taught that the first thing to do is to assess the customer's requirements before making any kind of suggestion on model or spec..

Funny. Don't know what dealer you work in, but after being in a few VW/Audi dealers recently I could've sworn that the first thing they're taught is how to sneer at the potential customer and make them feel unworthy of your shiny new metal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Funny. Don't know what dealer you work in, but after being in a few VW/Audi dealers recently I could've sworn that the first thing they're taught is how to sneer at the potential customer and make them feel unworthy of your shiny new metal :D

...by looking at the one you drove in.

Audichris: probably a silly question but what make of car do you sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Sorry to go OT there, it's a tough choice to make. I feel that Audi messed up a bit with the new A4 - it now looks a real fat-arse compared to the model it replaces. However, given that the other choice is a BMW, I'd go for the A4

• Advertisement

Sneering is part of the advanced sales course, they haven't sent me on that one yet.
    quarryman wrote: »
    Audichris: probably a silly question but what make of car do you sell?

Not a silly question, it's Audi.

I've been a fan since the A4 quattro killed all challengers in the BTCC. When I went to move into car sales the economy was ticking along quite nicely and so I could have sold anything I wanted. I chose Audi because I'd rather sell something I believe in.
    As fine a car as a Nissan/Kia/Merc/Honda is, it doesn't excite me. Audi does, and because of that I love my job! It's a lucky position to be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Do Séat and VW excite you just as much??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Sneering is part of the advanced sales course, they haven't sent me on that one yet.

Have you done "Thievery" yet? I think that's in the module with "How To Insult Prospective Customers with a Laughable Trade In", and "Ignoring Punters While Chatting Up the Lithuanian Receptionist"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Get a legacy TD, and use the extra money for few holidays to get away from the rain.
    The you'll have a better car, and a better tan, and some money left over for the recession!

Do Séat and VW excite you just as much??

Nope! To me Seat seems to be trying too hard and VW don't have anything that really gets me going except for the GTi (best car in it's class, bar none).

Passat CC's a fine car, but it'll have a hard time competing against the A4 and 3-Series.
    Zube wrote: »

Have you done "Thievery" yet? I think that's in the module with "How To Insult Prospective Customers with a Laughable Trade In", and "Ignoring Punters While Chatting Up the Lithuanian Receptionist"

I'm still a sales n00b. If I'm insulting people, it's by accident!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

VW don't have anything that really gets me going except for the GTi (best car in it's class, bar none).

Dunno about that... :)

Anyway back OT, I think there is a large difference between these cars.
    FWD Vs RWD is a big one for me

I rather the looks of the BMW but the engine in the Audi
    If it came down to it the power would prob sway me to the Audi.

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I don't really see why the OP is comparing a diesel BMW to a petrol Audi. If he likes the A4 TFSI with 211bhp, I'd have thought the natural rival would be the 325I with 218 bhp?

Absolutely, we need more info OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

it is a strange comparison OP has asked about. if resale was a concern you would be fairly nuts to go for petrol A4. i have a soft spot for audi and had a previous gen A4 1.9 TDI;). I now drive a 325i and the A4 doesnt come anywhere near the cracking drive of the BMW. i'm not a massive fan of the looks of the 3 series but its an absolute peach to drive. A4 quattro would be my only tempt back to A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

It's not a strange comparison as far as price is concerned as they are quite similar price wise! The A4 2.0 TFSI 211BHP only came out in last month so maybe it's "too early" to judge it against the 3 Series. The reason I would go for the 320D over a petrol BMW is on account of the greater power albeit not that much and the better mpg.

The 325i is from €49K or €54K depending on the model and that figure is likely to increase for the new model next month.

As you know there is a new 3 Series out next month and the price of it will be increasing.

I'm not changing the car straight away, but I'm hoping that my next car would be one of the 2 mentioned!

I'm just trying to get other peoples opinions as to what they would go for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 WannaST

Why not compare the A4 2.0TDi 168bhp with the 320d 175bhp, power for power (ish), just down to looks and overly expensive add-ons after that???

BTW, The 3series is getting facelift in next month or so (new look to the bonnet change, apparently, might be a change to the internal lay-out but can't remember), so you might want to hold off...

If you're looking at bootsize, knee room (both of these cars are shocking in these depts if you ask me)etc, then have fun with this http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-comparison.aspx

(trying to change cars myself, worst thing i ever came across was this site, wrecking my head!) :o:confused:

WannaST wrote: »
    Why not compare the A4 2.0TDi 168bhp with the 320d 175bhp, power for power (ish), just down to looks and overly expensive add-ons after that???

This seems to make more sense, although I can't wait for the 2.0TFSI.
    BTW, The 3series is getting facelift in next month or so (new look to the bonnet change, apparently, might be a change to the internal lay-out but can't remember), so you might want to hold off...

The iDrive has been redesigned to be easier to use. That and the better second-hand values for the new model should see you wait...

Or choose the Audi, you know you want to :)
    If you're looking at bootsize, knee room (both of these cars are shocking in these depts if you ask me)etc, then have fun with this http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-comparison.aspx

Good link, thanks.

Interior space is much improved in the A4 now, the boot is huge too.
    You'll get more space in the largest of the rep-mobiles, but at least it's the best in it's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Deffo Audi, I love the new A4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Get the Audi, a much cooler car. Im not biased by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 WannaST

Or choose the Audi, you know you want to :)

I want to, i really really really want to, but when a Mondeo hatchback has more cargo space for 'stuff' than an Avant, price difference + practicality win out over looks and appeal in our house.:(:(:( ... there's a camping to camping France in our near future, so i have to sensible about this also:(:(:(... don't even look up the size of the Mondeo Estate, the thing is humungous, it ruined my dreams of importing a (sex-on-wheels) 170bhp Avant, sniff!

OP should really let us know what he wants the car for, cruising? lugging? everyday-stuff? is he a golfer? surfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Thanks guys for all the replies.

It would be used for everyday driving/cruising. I'm not a golfer or a surfer (wouldn't mind being a surfer though!)

There is more power in the Audi for similar money than the 320D M Sport and as I've said above there is a new 3 Series out next month with a price increase to boot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

The Audi has lagged well behind the BMW (and the C class & mondeo) in most tests I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sid3

I know this is off the topic slightly but AudiChris have you any idea why Audi are so slow in updating their website? You still can't configure the A4 avant or get prices for the extra specs even though I thought you posted a few weeks ago that dealers had been updated with new prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

an audi is only a poor mans BMW go for the BMW diesel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

cancan wrote: »
    Get a legacy TD, and use the extra money for few holidays to get away from the rain.
    The you'll have a better car, and a better tan, and some money left over for the recession!

Only man talking sense here.

Advertisement