Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info Needed Urgently on R.A.S

Options
  • 15-08-2008 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi I was hoping some of you people out there may be able to share some of your experiences, if any with me.
    I am currently considering applying to be housed under the Rental Accomadation scheme. There seems to be many advantages as a tenant such as the security. I do however have major reservations and am hoping to hear from others who may themselves have been housed on this scheme.

Being a single male living alone I am afraid that the accomadation that will be offered to me will be inferior to where I am at present as a result of the maximum levels of rent that the CC will pay to the landlord. Like most people in receipt of rent allowance my actual rent exceeds the ceiling set by the HSE and i make up the difference myself. The place I rent at present is a decent sized 1 bedroom flat although still just what i would consider acceptable for a single person. As a single person would i be limited to bedsits or studios? I have read that should you reject three offers of housing you are not entitled to rent allowance for 12 months. Should i risk the chance of having to accept accomadation worse than my present? I would be grateful if anyone out there could help me with any of these issues.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

By security I presume you mean security of tenure. I don't think RAS gives you any more security of tenure than you would otherwise have. What security of tenure were you promised?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

RAS involves landlords essentially handing over their properties for a fixed period of time to the local council and the council letting these properties to people who have been in receipt of rent allowance for 18 months or more. (That's without going into the ins and outs of who is exactly responsible for what in the council / landlord relationship.)

It's a new stream of delivering social housing and reflects the fact that rent allowance was originally intended to be a short term measure for people, but due to high rents on the private market and shortage of social housing, it became something people were stuck on for a long time and restricted people's options hugely, ie, you can't work while receiving rent allowance.

Anyway, to get back to the OP's question, the standard of accommodation offered under RAS is excellent. Councils generally pay less than market rates to the landlord, but in return the landlord has a guaranteed income for the duration of the contract and doesn't have the hassle of trying to re-let the place, find tenants, etc. You're not going to be offered some dingy bedsit if that's what you're worried about. If you're a mother with a child chances are you'll be given a 2 bed. You should definitely apply for it.

As for security of tenure, the councils enter into agreements with landlords for a fixed amount of time. This period varies from property to property but it's generally for a number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cosmic Dancer

Many thanks.

Advertisement