Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Storage Advice

Options
  • 15-08-2008 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey,

I am new to this forum so I am looking for some advice on storing a bike in an apartment.

Basically my office has moved so I have started to commute to work using my bike. I am really enjoying the cycle every morning so much so that I have decided to invest in a new bike. I am currently using an old mountain bike but I am looking to upgrade to a Giant FCR2.5. Currently I store my bicycle outside my apartment in the grounds of my apartment complex (no underground parking). It is pretty safe and I use a decent u-lock to secure it to a railing. The apartment complex is also gated to there tends not to be too many strangers wandering about.

However, when I get my new bike I don't think I would be happy leaving it locked to a railing. No only for security purposes but also because the bike would probably get destroyed being left out in the elements.

Anyway, to solve these problems I am looking into getting some sort of storage stand for the bike in my apartment. No I don't have a lot of space but I should be able to find some place to put it.

I think the minoura gravity stand would be a good solution for me. Has anyone else out there got one or used one? If so are they worth it? If not what's a better solution?

All the best,

ec101

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Afraid I can't give much advice, as I keep the bike in the spare bedroom, but would be interested in what you find, as a stand or some way of keeping it even more discrete would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Aldi did a bike suspender thingy a few weeks back.
    Some of the shops still have them. Whether your landlord will allow you to drill it into the ceiling is another matter....
    There is also a bracket you can put on the wall so you can stand your bike up vertical...
    Bought a few of them in ye olde german discounter a while back....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've actually been considering that kenmc. we've a spot under the stairs that I reckon would take 4 bikes on 2 of them with the advantage of each bike being accessible. I know it's a minor thing but it bugs me having to move a couple of bikes to get at the one you want. pathetic really.

Advertisement