Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refurb project 1950s house

• 15-08-2008 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

a chairde,

I'm embarking on a refurb project on a 1950s house.
    Before I get worn down and lose the will to live by discussing the project with builders, I thought I discuss it with nice people first, hence this post.

1 The main component is to knock a supporting wall between kitchen and livingroom to create an open plan kitchen.

The supporting wall is 6m long, about 1m of which is chimney to be removed also.

2 Seconday, we would like to knock out the back wall of livingroom and kitchen
    (Both 3.5 m wide)
    and replace with as much glass door as possible.

It seems the steel RSJs would be suprisingly cheap,
    but of course the big mystic variable is the builder cost (and probably more worrying to me is time)

3 Replace flat roof over livingroom with a glass roof.

Can anyone estimate a reasonable cost for this kitchen conversion, and approximate time?

4, the standard stuff - everything in house to be gutted
    1 Electrics: fully replace
    2 Insulation : drylining
    3 Windows: fully replace with double glazing
    5 Attic: replace water tank, insulate
    6 Plumbing: need new pipes
    5 Bathroom: upgrade
    Electric shower, new plumbing
    6 Doors: front and back door replace

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You may get a couple of replies from people stating how much their renovations cost which will have no bearing obviously on your project.

My advice would be to get a plan of the existing and proposed works drawn up with all alterations itemised, take it to a QS and then send it round a couple of builders for estimates.

Advertisement