Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia N95 Sat Nav Options

• 15-08-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently looking at buying a Nokia N95 from Meteor and have particular interest in using the N95 as an in car Sat Nav instead of buying a separate device. I have done some research here and on other web pages and want to decide how useful the different options for Sat Nav are. My 2 main options are as follows:

1. I know the phone comes with Nokia Maps installed and the maps can be loaded onto the phone for free and that one must pay a fee for 3 years of voice guided navigation. My main concern here is whether that is all you must pay? Is it true that you must use a data connection everytime you drive to get the voice guided navigation also? i.e. The one off fee isn't enough to give you 3 years voice guided navigation. You must also pay as you drive around via the data connection on the phone?

2. I know it is possible to install 3rd party sat nav software on the phone. Route 66, Garmin XT or Tom Tom 6 (I hear of a version 7 but I dont see it on their webpage). As the Tom Tom 6 requires an external GPS and it doesnt seem to have Ireland mapped my preferred choice is loading Garmin XT on to the phone. Has anyone tried using this and how does it work in Ireland (I presume once the software is installed it doesnt require a data connection so there will be no restrictions on it by Meteor and it wont cost anything extra than what the software cost and any software updates).

Basically I want to use voice guided sat nav on the phone without paying for data connections all the time. Finally has anyone any experience with in car usage using either of the 2 options above i.e. How good is the internal GPS when used in the car?

Any help appreciated. I have done as much research as possible but need to hear from peoples own experiences in Ireland. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭cono121

To answer part of your first question, you can download any map (Ireland, GB, Europe, US...etc) for free from the provided software so you dont have to use an internet connection at all...

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have a N95 and i installed Garmin on it. Its very good, has everthing I'd expect from a satnav. I havent used a lot of satnavs so im not sure what makes a good one. If you have any questions about it fir away and I'll do my best to answer.

to answer your 2 questions though:

It has voice guided navigation without connecting to the network.

The Internal Gps is very good IMO, I keep mine in a cradle on the top of the centre console and it usually takes about 1 min to find the satelites and very very rarely loses connection after that( only happened to me twice, each time it finds it again in less than 20-30 seconds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Cheer witnessmenow. You might have sold me there. The only other question I would have is that the Garmin XT comes on a micro SD card if you buy it on their webpage but the N95 doesnt have a card slot (one disadvantage I suppose).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11413

How did you manage to install it? (or did you get the software off the internet?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Consider buying a Bluetooth GPS receiver to complement the internal GPS receiver in the N95. When you're using the N95 in a car or in an aircraft, the device has to have a good view of the sky which can conflict with the requirement that the user has a good view of the screen. By collecting the GPS signals from a seperate device you can place the N95 anywhere you like within 10m of the Bluetooth receiver which can considerably enhance usability.

Bluetooth GPS receivers are the size of a matchbox or smaller and cost between 40 and 70 euros.

Cheer witnessmenow. You might have sold me there. The only other question I would have is that the Garmin XT comes on a micro SD card if you buy it on their webpage but the N95 doesnt have a card slot (one disadvantage I suppose).....

The n95 does have a micro sd card slot, i had one before, i used a 2gb micro sd. Now i have an n82, also very good phone, it has gps and everything the n95 has, micro sd slot, wifi...etc...:D

• Advertisement

Cheers cono121. I think the version meteor have is a the N95 8GB which is different than the older version with the micro SD slot. I was looking at the N82 on ebay also as am considering that also instead of signing up for a contract with meteor. Looks good. My only concern there is whether the Garmin software works on it. It isn't listed on their webpage as being compatible but from forums I have read it does seem to work. Don't know if you or anyone else have tried it?

Ahhh i see...
    I never actually tried putting the garmin software on either of the n95 or n82.
    I try to put it on my n82 tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Cheer witnessmenow. You might have sold me there. The only other question I would have is that the Garmin XT comes on a micro SD card if you buy it on their webpage but the N95 doesnt have a card slot (one disadvantage I suppose).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11413

How did you manage to install it? (or did you get the software off the internet?)

connect the n95 8g using the usb cable
    when you get the prompt on the phone screen select "Data Transfer"
    the pc picks up the phone as mass memory (ie a memory card)
    run the garmin installer - it will install to the mass memory on the phone

Cheers for all the advice folks. I think i might try and get the N82 on ebay as not too keen on signing a contract with meteor. Dont think installing the garmin XT should be an issue on either the N82 or the N95 and it seems to work well!

Just pm'ed you.

I installed "garmin xt", i works with the phone very well but when trying to find a GPS device it fails every time, ive tried messing around with settings, but no luck. So i can safely say garmin software probably wont work if you get a N82.

On the otherhand, i have 3 months free with nokia maps at the moment and i find it very accurate and easy to work with that being said i dont know compared to garmin as I have never used it. Nokia maps, there is no need to have a internet connection as you can transfer all the maps you want from the nokia dvd supplied with the N82 or N95 off or you can download off the internet, you can pick and choose your maps, whether its Ireland, Uk...Europe, US, its all there so you dont have to have an internet connection at all.

Hope this helps bud

• Advertisement

Cheers Cono121..gives me food for thought! Yeah I know the maps are free anyway so that should be fine. N95 is definitely the best option if you also want to install Garmin XT which I want to do do so probably stick with it..thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

you need to go to settings and enter the unlock code for it to find the internal gps same for the garmin maps, luckily i have the key gen ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

working fine for me

copied the RSA warning poi from my nuvi200 to the phone to see if it wud work & it's grand (see screenshot)

also - the vehicles from the garmin site work too

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    you need to go to settings and enter the unlock code for it to find the internal gps same for the garmin maps, luckily i have the key gen ;-)

Is that for the N82 or N95?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

coylemj wrote: »
    When you're using the N95 in a car or in an aircraft, .

I would really suggest that you use something more substantial than an N95 if flying anything more than Lear Jet though

:D

@ Padraic, do you have any useful links for us by any chance??!

I ahem, installed Garmin XT but had a problem with it finding the internal GPS, no matter what key i entered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055363818

HERE IS WHAT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR.....

Fair play Padraic. I'll be setting up my N95 over the weekend I hope..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

GPS not working on my N95 8gb for last few weeks, updated to latest firmware a short while ago, and its working now, think it takes a while to acquire a signal,

There seems to be an issue with the aerial on this phone, do a search on Google
    Version 2 maps seem to be Navteq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

working fine for me

copied the RSA warning poi from my nuvi200 to the phone to see if it wud work & it's grand (see screenshot)

also - the vehicles from the garmin site work too

Anybody got the RSA poi as they don't seem to have it available anymore.

MC

Advertisement