Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locking a bike near an Aircoach stop on the Southside

Options
  • 15-08-2008 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

I know I’ve left it a late to try and plan this but here goes. I’ve to get a very early flight tomorrow morning, Dublin Bus’s aren’t running but the Aircoach is. My plan is to cycle to as far as Aircoach stop, lock the bike and hop on the bus. I’m coming home on the same day so my bike won’t be locked overnight.

So my question is this. Where’s the best place to lock a bike near a Southside Aircoach stop, preferably near the Leeson St/Canal stop?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd say anywhere convenient will be fine, I've locked my bike to the railings of the church on Dartmouth Road before myself. Hoping your bike is not crazy expensive looking of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Am a big fan of locking my bike in front of Garda stations - not sure if it's possible though at Donnybrook?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Does that actually make a difference though? Plenty of bikes seem to get robbed from outside the Garda station near Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stark wrote: »
    Does that actually make a difference though? Plenty of bikes seem to get robbed from outside the Garda station near Trinity.
    That's Pearse St. The Gardai are happy to leave that station with their limbs still attached.

Anywhere public will do fine. Since it's a Saturday, I'd recommend the top of trinity - where all the motorbikes and bikes usually park. It'll be a busy shopping day so it'll be in full view all day. I assume the aircoach goes around the green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Since it's only for the day it shouldn't be a problem leaving the bike anywhere. There are bike racks just beside the canal at the Leeson St bridge, near the pub there where the road splits in two towards the Burlington hotel. Your bus stop would be just across the road then.

UCD is another option.

If your bike is pretty good with quick-release components (or looks good!) then the above does not apply and you might have to consider getting a taxi for peace of mind:(

edit: You could get a taxi to the aircoach stop!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Turned out I was able to blag a lift. But I've filed these suggestions away for future reference.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

oobydooby wrote: »
    UCD is another option.

Possibly one of the worst places to leave a bike. Whatever you do dont leave it round the back of the library, or if you do, leave it unlocked and tip-ex "steal me" onto the top tube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Is UCD that bad for bike theft? I've heard of the van that stole a whole rack of bikes but what I've seen is a lot of nice bikes locked really badly (like using the same standard of locks as I use on mine _which isn't_ :(

During my college days, pretty much everyone in my class who cycled had some attempt made at stealing a bike. One or two lads had had 3 bikes stolen over the 4 years, decent ones too.

I guess the moral is, if cycling to UCD bring a crap bike and a good lock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I've always wondered; see at the bike railings you sometimes see bike locks lying chained to the railings but no bike attached - is it reasonable to assume that the bike associated with the lock has been stolen or do people leave their locks chained to railings for other random reasons?

I often see some fairly decent locks lying around sans bicycle and wonder how the hell someone would manage to steal a bike when it's got such a good lock all the while leaving the lock intact. It makes me scared for my own bike and slightly sad inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Slice wrote: »
    I've always wondered; see at the bike railings you sometimes see bike locks lying chained to the railings but no bike attached - is it reasonable to assume that the bike associated with the lock has been stolen or do people leave their locks chained to railings for other random reasons?

I often see some fairly decent locks lying around sans bicycle and wonder how the hell someone would manage to steal a bike when it's got such a good lock all the while leaving the lock intact. It makes me scared for my own bike and slightly sad inside

Those locks are good locks - and by that also heavy. What users do is leave those attached at lamposts and it saves them carrying the lock everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Slice wrote: »

I'd say that ppl choose to leave their locks at their destination so they don't have to lug the lock around.
    No need to be sad Dublin has very few Houdini type scumbags that leave the lock back perfectly after stealing the bike :p - thankfully.

I leave my kryptonite attached to the railings outside eng cuz its too darn heavy to carry around. Spray it with a teflon lube every so often to keep it from seizing, works a treat.

Advertisement