Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying CAT5

Options
  • 15-08-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Anyone know where is the best place to buy CAT5 cable.

I'm looking for around 150 feet length of it.

Any websites/contact etc would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

you can go to any trade electrical shop, you'll get it there. Last time I bought a box cost me about 30odd euro (that was over a year and a half ago though).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    you can go to any trade electrical shop, you'll get it there. Last time I bought a box cost me about 30odd euro (that was over a year and a half ago though).
    I tried that but they all wanted to sell me a 1000ft box, which was about 10 times what I actually wanted (didn't inquire about price though). Was that €30 for that amount, or less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Firstly a box of cat5e is no way only 30 euro end user, now unless it is total rubbish but Id stay away from this. I pay double to treble that trade price for a thousand feet.. Saying that I only buy quality!

I have some half empty boxes here. Im sure I could get 150ft for you. If your interested PM or mail me..

humm I may be wrong, it could have been 60, no longer have the receipt :P
    the brand is excel FusionNet, good or bad? cat 5e utp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

FusionNet wrote: »
    Firstly a box of cat5e is no way only 30 euro end user, now unless it is total rubbish but Id stay away from this. I pay double to treble that trade price for a thousand feet.. Saying that I only buy quality!

I have some half empty boxes here. Im sure I could get 150ft for you. If your interested PM or mail me..

PM Sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    humm I may be wrong, it could have been 60, no longer have the receipt :P
    the brand is excel FusionNet, good or bad? cat 5e utp

Personally not a fan of it myself but its what a lot of electrical retailers stock because there is a goog margin on it. The problem with cheaper ones is some can use very little copper, some are stranded and thats not good and some have really poor twists. When you go to untwist a pair to Terminate the whole thing unravels, disaster.. I use Krone myself and Ortronics at times.. These concerns are probably over the top on my behalf as Im responsible for good traffic through a commercail network but for home or small connections even the cheaper ones will work grand, they just wont excel (not the brand!!)

ah fair enough, never had the unraveling problem, again only used it for small networks and personal stuff. I've never done a professional grade network, probably never will, but will keep that in mind if I ever need to :) that was puntastic btw :P

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

B&Q stock 100 Metres for €47.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

lordlame wrote: »
    B&Q stock 100 Metres for €47.

Wowza that's a rip off, 305m cat5e box can be got for €70 in wholesalers (and yes the public can buy from them)

MC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.templesales.com/

http://www.connectixcablingsystems.com/contact/ - link broken though
    Connectix Limited 29 Westlink Industrial Estate Kylemore Road Dublin 10 Ireland Telephone: 01 6236751 Facsimile: 01 6236759 sales@connectix.ie

spend a little and get low halogen for fire safety

Advertisement