Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy large quantities of mint for mojitos?

Options
  • 15-08-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Having a cocktail party tomorow night and can't for the life of me figure out where to buy mint in bulk for the mojitos.... Any ideas? The supermarkets only sell them in tiny amounts, and will cost an arm an a leg to buy in small amounts

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

You could try your local greengrocer - ring them now and order it and they can pick it up for you at the market in the morning. It will be far cheaper than buying it in the supermarket, and fresher/better quality. Alternatively ring around your friends to see who has got some growing in their garden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

the fruit and veg wholesalers down off capel street should have large bags for sale at decent prices - i used to get large bags of basil for €1.50 there which were 5 times the size of the supermarket ones

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lots of Asian shops sell mint and coriander in large quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

I have tons of mint in my garden if want to PM I'd be happy to supply what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I know you need mint at short notice, so this mightn't be of any use... But apparently mint is very easy to grow, in fact it might take over your entire garden if it isn't kept in line.

Try and grow some in a pot, then you can have Mojitos whenever you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

thanks for that! Finally managed to track down the mint in the asian market... many yummy mojitos had by all concerned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

The food hall on Exchequer Street does mint in a fairly big sized bag for about 2 bob I think. It's grown in Rush and is great for mojitos. Some Dunnes' have mint in their herbs section but it's a pretty small amount for the same price nearly as the Rush grown stuff. Tesco also have mint sometimes but it's not good for Mojitos I didn't think, it's also from Israel....

By the way, have you got a muddler ? Lookin all over Dublin and I can't find even a pestle!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

What? I don't think its a gay drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

By the way, have you got a muddler ? Lookin all over Dublin and I can't find even a pestle!!!

You don't need one.
    The mint can either be slapped between the palms of your hand or twisted.
    It is just to release the flavour from the mint.
    Muddling isn't needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Rabies wrote: »
    You don't need one.
    Muddling isn't needed.

Muddler is much better though. Its a great way to mix the cane suggar into the lime and release the oh so gorgeouse mint oils without loosing them to your hands or the counter or whatever. Keeps everything in the glass.

I got one on promo with havana especial rum!!

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote: »
    You don't need one.
    Muddling isn't needed.
    enda1 wrote: »
    Muddler is much better though. Its a great way to mix the cane suggar into the lime and release the oh so gorgeouse mint oils without loosing them to your hands or the counter or whatever. Keeps everything in the glass.

I got one on promo with havana especial rum!!

I use the back of a tablespoon but I'd rather use a muddler/pestle.
    Bacardi have their own Muddler that I'd love to get my hands on :

31g4hezCfdL._SL500_AA280_.jpg2294369117_29b336c9ff_o.jpg

Guys do you use sugar or simple syrup ?
    There's an off license in Bray that had a Mojito box set with the Bacardi,sparkling water,glasses and a bottle of syrup. Where in Dublin has simple syrup ? I've seen flavoured syrups around but that won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I use fine cane sugar but I also have sugar syrup which I use sometimes also (the sugar syrup is form cane sugar too).

I prefer Havana club than bacardi though but each to their own!

No idea about where in Dublin though. Maybe Fallon & Byrnes?

enda1 wrote: »
    I use fine cane sugar but I also have sugar syrup which I use sometimes also (the sugar syrup is form cane sugar too).

I prefer Havana club than bacardi though but each to their own!

No idea about where in Dublin though. Maybe Fallon & Byrnes?

Is fallon and byrnes that food hall/swanky mini mart opposite Dunnes and beside the Karaoke bar ? If so I've tried and they don't have normal syrup....

I only had Morgans spiced there last week for the first time and I can't wait till I get some for mojitos :) Also, can't seem to find any Havana Club :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

dereko1969 wrote: »
    the fruit and veg wholesalers down off capel street should have large bags for sale at decent prices - i used to get large bags of basil for €1.50 there which were 5 times the size of the supermarket ones

Was at Garden of Eden (which seems to be the herb wholesaler) this morning up by there, great prices though I decided I didn't need a kilo of basil (was a bargain at 12 euro which presume is the price they sell mint at)

Can never make mojitos right always too watery or way too strong (too strong is more fun though)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You can buy the Garden of Eden packets in Fallon & Byrne - they seem to be the most generously sized packs around.
    Meanwhile, start planting - it's REALLY easy to grow, and it will spread faster than you'll be able to keep up with the mojhito making!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

my window box filled with dead mint and stalks disagrees with you ;-) though I think not watering it may have been a problem!

RDM_83 wrote: »

Can never make mojitos right always too watery or way too strong (too strong is more fun though)

It takes a while to get your own method together that you like....

The way I make mine is :
    • Mint leaves, half a lime chopped into quaters, tablespoon of sugar and a drop of soda water mashed together with the back of a tablespoon.
    • Ice
    • Splash of lime cordial.
    • Rum
    • Mix either by stirring or shaking (shaking helps mix the sugar better)
    • Then splash of soda water.
    • Garnish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

I use the back of a tablespoon but I'd rather use a muddler/pestle.
    Bacardi have their own Muddler that I'd love to get my hands on :

Have one and they are not as good as a good old fasioned wooden muddler..

And the perfect Mojito is..

1. 4 wedges of lime, 2 bar spoons of brown sugar(avoid sugar syrup or white sugar), 8 mint leaves.
    2. Muddle the above
    3. Add half a glass of crushed ice or cracked ice if crushed is not available (Put ice cubes in a towel and smash it with a muddler or a hammer)
    4. Pour 70ml-80ml of 'CUBAN' rum, Bacardi is not Cuban rum anymore : p Havana Club Blanco is my preference.
    5. Get a spoon (bar spoon if available, its a very long one), and stir the drink.
    6. Add Soda water
    7. Top again with crushed/cracked ice
    8. Garnish with a spring of mint
    9. Serve on a napkin
    10. Success! a perfect Mojito!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭themoney

Does anybody know were in Dublin I can get a Muddler?

Tried to get one online but everywhere I have tried doesn’t ship to Ireland.

These are the two things I am having trouble getting my hands. I can got ahead without them but would like to get both if I could.

Muddler Silicone Tipped
    8240.jpg
    Citrus Squeezer Juicer
    43864-r.JPG

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Nightowl84

Worked as a bartender, and think that the key to making the perfect mojito is, proper sugar syrup, loads of fresh lime juice, properly crushed ice (fill the glass to the brim), and a layer of dark rum on the top after finishing the mix(looks great, and by the time you get to it the rest is a bit watery from the melted ice and it gives and extra punch).

Also instead of Mint, use Basil, sounds mad but try it.............

Also get try and get some decent aged dark rum...expensive as feck over here

• Advertisement
Advertisement