Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low fat sauce suggestion for stir fry

• 15-08-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi

As part of my new healthy eating plan i am eating chicken and veg stir fry for most of my evening meals. I have heard that Soy souce is high in salt - does anyone have any suggestions of something low fat that would add taste and moisture to the stir fry??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mines

I think there are some brands out there that have salt-free soya sauce. Might be hard to find them though. Maybe you could dillute the soya sauce in water?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Amoy make a reduced salt soy sauce.
    Someone here suggested adding soy sauce and a spoonful of brown sugar at the end of stirfrying and I tried it - it's really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You can also brine, marinade and/or add cornflour to your chicken to keep it moist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Try Thai Fish sauce and lime juice instead of soy. Also make your own black bean sauce - buy the salted fermented blackbeans from the Asian market, rinse the salt off and bruise them a bit in a pestle & mortar or with the flat of a knife. Then add to stir fry with some Shaosing wine, spring onion and a little cornflour to thicken.

To change the flavour of chicken stirfry, add some tumeric, a mild curry powder and a hand full of prawns, a little shredded omlette, some pork and noodles - homemade Singapore noodles.

Lemon juice, sugar or honey, cornflour, shaosing wine and a dash of soy sauce makes a lemon sauce for chicken.

Vinegar, sugar or honey, shoasing wine, dash of soy sauce and a handful of pineapple chunks makes a sweet & sour sauce. Add chilli sauce for a hot & sour sauce.

With the sauces, you can add the ingredients to a separate pan and experiment with quantities until you have a sauce that you like before adding to your chicken - that way you won't spoil the food if it's too sweet or too tart. Try adding and tasting as you go rather than following measurements in a recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

A teaspoon of peanut butter (i know it aint low fat but it is lovely and very little quantity) two tablespoons of chinese rice vinegar, a drop or two of soy sauce and a 1/4 pint of water. Add a half teaspoon of cornflower. Mix and add in when the stir fry is almost complete. As we used to say to my mother as kids ...... Ma that dinner was septic !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Lmnover wrote: »
    Hi

As part of my new healthy eating plan i am eating chicken and veg stir fry for most of my evening meals. I have heard that Soy souce is high in salt - does anyone have any suggestions of something low fat that would add taste and moisture to the stir fry??

Soy sauce is low in fat, would add taste and moisture to a stir fry.

Any of the ideas minder says should be tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 HeatLoad

Minder wrote: »
    Try Thai Fish sauce and lime juice instead of soy. Also make your own black bean sauce - buy the salted fermented blackbeans from the Asian market, rinse the salt off and bruise them a bit in a pestle & mortar or with the flat of a knife. Then add to stir fry with some Shaosing wine, spring onion and a little cornflour to thicken.

To change the flavour of chicken stirfry, add some tumeric, a mild curry powder and a hand full of prawns, a little shredded omlette ..

Been running all around the asian markets but nobody seems to do the shredded omlette?

Why do you need a sauce with a stirfry anyway? Oil, garlic, ginger, spring onion, meat, green pepper (optional) seasoning & pot of boiled rice.

My recipe for perfect long grained boiled rice.

Put as much rice as you need in a good sized pot with a heavy enough base. Put enough water in it until it comes up to the first joint of your index finger whilst the tip of your finger touches the top of the rice. Put it on at full heat and boil until all the water disappears and you see holes/craters in the rice. Immediately when all the water has disappeared turn down the heat to about mark 2 and put the lid on the pot. Leave cooking for five minutes but no more. Take the pot with lid on and put on a wet cloth (if you hear it hiss you've probably got it right) and leave for another five minutes with lid on to steam away. After that, lift the lid and leave for a minute or two before you serve. It takes a bit of practice but you will get used to it after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Because sauce is goooooood.

Make the shredded omelette yourself. Whisk two eggs in a bowl. Season. Pour onto a good non-stick pan with no oil. Allow to cook. Take off pan, roll up and slice finely. Takes about three minutes and can be done while you're stir frying.

HeatLoad wrote: »
    Been running all around the asian markets but nobody seems to do the shredded omlette?

Why do you need a sauce with a stirfry anyway? Oil, garlic, ginger, spring onion, meat, green pepper optional seasoning & pot of boiled rice

Sky hooks and long weights......

The optional seasoning part of your recipe might include sauce type ingredients, possibly:confused:

To change the flavour of chicken stirfry, add some tumeric, a mild curry powder and a hand full of prawns, a little shredded omlette, some pork and noodles - homemade Singapore noodles.

Lemon juice, sugar or honey, cornflour, shaosing wine and a dash of soy sauce makes a lemon sauce for chicken.

Vinegar, sugar or honey, shoasing wine, dash of soy sauce and a handful of pineapple chunks makes a sweet & sour sauce. Add chilli sauce for a hot & sour sauce.

With the sauces, you can add the ingredients to a separate pan and experiment with quantities until you have a sauce that you like before adding to your chicken - that way you won't spoil the food if it's too sweet or too tart. Try adding and tasting as you go rather than following measurements in a recipe.
    Sky hooks and long weights......

The optional seasoning part of your recipe might include sauce type ingredients, possibly:confused:

Salt n' pepper. Get the ingreedies right they'll create their own sauce;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip. Good luck in your search for shredded omlette;)

...are you seriously saying you have no interest in the wealth of ingredients available to create a sauce for stir fried ingredients? Or are you under the mistaken impression that we're referring to something like the sachets of congealed gloop that you scissor one corner off and pour over your food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Why do you need a sauce with a stirfry anyway? Oil, garlic, ginger, spring onion, meat, green pepper (optional) seasoning & pot of boiled rice.

Because different sauces can allow you to create very different tasting dishes from the same basic ingredients each time (which is very handy). Variety is the spice of life and all that.

You don't have to use a sauce or anything like that but a good sauce can bring out the best in a dish.

...are you seriously saying you have no interest in the wealth of ingredients available to create a sauce for stir fried ingredients? Or are you under the mistaken impression that we're referring to something like the sachets of congealed gloop that you scissor one corner off and pour over your food?

I'm all ears! Tell me exactly how you make up a stir fry sauce without opeing a jar from your local asian supermarket or cutting the corner off a dried up packet that you buy in supervalue? Stirfries traditionally don't have sauce, the sauce is made from the left over and left in ingredients

It depends on what I want to make.

If I want to make black bean sauce for beef, for instance, I rinse fermented soy beans that I've bought in their salted, semi dried form. Then I pound them in a mortar and pestle with a clove of garlic. Then I add that, along with some beef stock and a little cornflour paste to thicken, to a wok in which I've flash fried beef and strips of green capsicum.

If I want a tasty, more-ish sauce, I'll use a combination of fish sauce, rice wine, a teaspoon of sugar, a little ketjap manus and again some stock for wetting (you can just use water, but I prefer the extra flavour of a stock.)

If I want a lemon sauce, as for a lemon chicken, I'll combine rice wine, soy sauce, lemon juice, chicken stock, chili paste and sugar.

I regularly stir fry some asian greens in a little oil with some garlic and ginger, add some chopped chili and finish it with a sprinkle of sesame oil before serving that on the side of something like beef in black bean sauce with some steamed rice. That's probably the closest thing I get to a "plain" stirfry.

Depending on what else I'm cooking, I'm also a big fan of using rice vinegar, chili bean paste, sweet bean paste, palm sugar...

Oil, garlic, ginger, spring onion, meat, green pepper (optional).....
    Salt n' pepper.

Everything else is not traditional stirfry....:D

Advertisement