Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing the buck

Options
  • 15-08-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I'll try to keep very quick and direct.

Noticed a leak behind the boiler sticking out off the sitting room wall (that ugly one!)

Had maintenance around, they say its a problem arising from the structure of the duplex design, that the way the patio on the balcony was made has had an affect on our apartment below. Water runs from their patio into our brickwork and causes internal leaking. Now the maintenance guy has mentioned this happened at at least four other apartment on the same stretch of road. Some had to replaster inside wall and get floors changed ect,...

However Wyse say the insurance wont pay for out work because it is a structural problem and not interior so unless the inside is damaged, which the inspector deems not to be yet, they will not stand over the work that needs to be carried out.

So what are my options now?

It is Charlesland Wood 2 bed apartment.

Durkan, Residential, Ballymore??

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

jamegg wrote: »
    I'll try to keep very quick and direct.

Noticed a leak behind the boiler sticking out off the sitting room wall (that ugly one!)

Had maintenance around, they say its a problem arising from the structure of the duplex design, that the way the patio on the balcony was made has had an affect on our apartment below. Water runs from their patio into our brickwork and causes internal leaking. Now the maintenance guy has mentioned this happened at at least four other apartment on the same stretch of road. Some had to replaster inside wall and get floors changed ect,...

However Wyse say the insurance wont pay for out work because it is a structural problem and not interior so unless the inside is damaged, which the inspector deems not to be yet, they will not stand over the work that needs to be carried out.

So what are my options now?

It is Charlesland Wood 2 bed apartment.

Durkan, Residential, Ballymore??

TIA

Sounds like you have the wrong kind of insurance, probably just content insurance. In normal apartment blocks the building itself is insured through your management fees, with the contents insurance up to you. So if your management company are saying they don't insure the structure of the building then sounds like you're on the wrong insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Should be Durkans if they are still anywhere on site - I would imagine it's covered in your homebond guarentee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

sound like the problem im having. Ive noticed a damp mark on my wall, looks like it something to do with the duplex above me. i noticed it when i moved in the foreman had a look at it, painted over it and said it should be fine but now with all the rain its come back. Who do i contact? Do i go back to Durkins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The Wood was built by Ballymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

macrubicon wrote: »
    Should be Durkans if they are still anywhere on site - I would imagine it's covered in your homebond guarentee.
    That is what is was thinking, but is it Ballymore I should be contacting now that the maintenance from Wyse say its not up to them? Homebond is 20-25 years, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

That is what is was thinking, but is it Ballymore I should be contacting now that the maintenance from Wyse say its not up to them? Homebond is 20-25 years, right?

I thought Homebond offered 10 years on structural defects.

DonJose wrote: »
    I thought Homebond offered 10 years on structural defects.

:( At least its sill inside ten years but not good news when I haven't even been living there 6 months! I will have to get to work on this on Monday. I will ring Ballymore to see what they say. Will keep those of you who are having the same problem updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Had maintenance around, they say its a problem arising from the structure of the duplex design

Structural = Homebond

Similar thing happened my sisters. She has a 3 bed under a duplex. Apperently no damp course was put in so it suffered fromrising damp and the patio above leaked (still leaks!).

AFAIK Durkans sent someone around to fix it. It is still not right.

I took the vent off the wall yesterday ( down low under the gas) and the insulation was soaking! So, the whole wall will have to be stripped and replastered and insulated. I hope Ballymore are going to send somebody around when I ring them tomorrow to fix the problem because obviously there is no point replastering until the problem is mended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I took the vent off the wall yesterday ( down low under the gas) and the insulation was soaking! So, the whole wall will have to be stripped and replastered and insulated. I hope Ballymore are going to send somebody around when I ring them tomorrow to fix the problem because obviously there is no point replastering until the problem is mended.

Ring your management company and ask for a copy of the apartment block policy. You could also give your solicitor a quick ring and see if it is covered by homebond, which it might not be. My guess is that it should be covered by the block policy - somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

I'm in a duplex in the grove and the person below me is having the same issue. Guys from Durken have been on my balcony a few times but I'm not sure if they have sorted the problem or not.

Looks like its a fundamental problem with the design if its happening to so many people.

I was ringing Durkan and was getting no answer on the phone so I rang homebond. Durkan are not members of homebond, therefore the property does not have homebond cover.

However, they are members of the CIF (Construction Fed.) and they advised that a letter be sent to Durkan. I am still awaiting reply so next step will be taken by the CIF if Durkan have not responded to the matter by the end of this week.

Advertisement