Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fakengers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Relax Verb, you're not in the league he's describing here:D The banana cuts a unique figure about town, you are in a class of your own!

Haven't spotted too many fakengers in Dublin but they are definitely out there. Fashion victim would be my preferred term (you should see the Hoxton set in London / Chelsea set in New York)

And sure what harm? Anything that makes cycling look good / more popular is fine by me!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

unionman wrote: »

And sure what harm? Anything that makes cycling look good / more popular is fine by me!!:D

Tru dat !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Verb wrote: »
    Tru dat !

Another fan of The Wire I presume?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Tru dat !
    Word. Like one of the comments says: "nothing wrong with anything that has pedals and gets people from A to B. Cliques and cliqueyness suck."

unionman wrote: »
    Another fan of The Wire I presume?

Fo sho! A quality show.

"These are for you McNulty!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

http://www.movingtargetzine.com/article/fakenger

Saw this on linked on bikeradar.

Oh dear. I've been taken for a courier a few times now. It's unfortunate, but in my defence, the bag/bike are used for a reason. Because they are suited to the task !

Something I was worried about cycling to college in London while generally looking scruffy and carrying a messenger bag. (they seem be kinda hostile towards perceived wannabes ;) ). I had gears and a lid though, so courier comparisons were after I'd stepped off the bike.

Echoing what Verb says, I think most of 'the gear' is just plain functional imo if you spend any amount of time in the saddle in a city. I use a messenger bag because it's got more space than a rucksack. The line was drawn at the lock around the waist and dreads though. And my shorts usually covered my underpants.

Where's the line between copying (for want of a better word) what's useful and becoming a fashion victim? Personally, I find arbiters of authenticity slightly irritating. (Mind you, posers irritate me too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

looking at some of the couriers i see these days they seem to have gotten the job as an extension of their fashion sensibilities, not the other way round.

i could easily fall into the fakenger category, but some factors may rule me out... helmet, lack of dreads/piercings/tattoos, stopping at traffic lights (mostly), no u-lock in the back pocket, handlebar tape etc. i'm often confused for a genuine roadie at the weekends too, despite my hairy-leggedness. you can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »
    looking at some of the couriers i see these days they seem to have gotten the job as an extension of their fashion sensibilities, not the other way round.

i could easily fall into the fakenger category, but some factors may rule me out... helmet, lack of dreads/piercings/tattoos, stopping at traffic lights (mostly), no u-lock in the back pocket, handlebar tape etc. i'm often confused for a genuine roadie at the weekends too, despite my hairy-leggedness. you can't win.

Oh dear, I'm F**ked so... I wear the gear generally (practcality), have the messenger bag (big enough for all my stuff), no helmet, long hair, piercings and tattoos aplenty, and even the u-lock in the pocket (best place for a Kryptonite mini)... thank god I'm a fat so and so who can't be mistaken properly!

There's no fighting it, I'm just gonna have to shave my legs...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

There's no fighting it, I'm just gonna have to shave my legs...

you're not "fighting it", you're looking for an excuse to do it. and 'so i don't get mistaken for a courier' is a flimsy as they come. :pac: :pac: :pac:

niceonetom wrote: »
    you're not "fighting it", you're looking for an excuse to do it. and 'so i don't get mistaken for a courier' is a flimsy as they come. :pac: :pac: :pac:

I figure I'll wait till just before we head for the Alpes, then it's comin off :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

Just saw a messenger riding a brakeless single speed.

So not only the non messengers who are trying to jump on the fixie-cool wagon.

He was riding on the pavement down Pembroke Street going very slowly. Probably concerned about how to stop whilst still looking cool.

Whatever you say about fakie clothes, fakie no brakes is way worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I figure I'll wait till just before we head for the Alpes, then it's comin off :)
    Emty and myself have been out training together more than once a week, we are getting a bit worried about you two :D I have read that it is best to train with hairy legs so that when you shave them for a race you really notice the weight/aero difference. Or maybe that was wheels. Same principle anyway.

Just saw a messenger riding a brakeless single speed.

So not only the non messengers who are trying to jump on the fixie-cool wagon.

He was riding on the pavement down Pembroke Street going very slowly. Probably concerned about how to stop whilst still looking cool.

Whatever you say about fakie clothes, fakie no brakes is way worse...

Maybe he had a coaster brake ! Although, probably was just an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I have seen a few couriers around with no brakes. Cycled in to work behind one for a bit, curious to observe him. He was skidding the back wheel every time he needed to slow down sharpish. I remember thinking how cool it was. Not.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed how couriers are now being called 'messengers'? Feckin' wannabe yanks. If I were to do a spot of bicycle despatching, I'd wear a t-shirt with 'I am a Courier' on it. Maybe a red spangly hat with Courier on it too. Grrr...

lukester wrote: »
    I have seen a few couriers around with no brakes. Cycled in to work behind one for a bit, curious to observe him. He was skidding the back wheel every time he needed to slow down sharpish. I remember thinking how cool it was. Not.
    Well, there's a difference between a fixie with no brakes and a freewheel singlespeed with no brakes !

Althought I reckon a fixie with no brakes is fairly thick as well.
    On a side note, has anyone else noticed how couriers are now being called 'messengers'? Feckin' wannabe yanks. If I were to do a spot of bicycle despatching, I'd wear a t-shirt with 'I am a Courier' on it. Maybe a red spangly hat with Courier on it too. Grrr...

A good point ! Something that irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You cannot do an effective emergency stop without a front brake. Nothing to do with leg stregth, laws of physics. My front brake has been the difference between stopping my bike safely albeit with rear wheel in mid-air and not stopping bike safely, going through someone's back window (I have done both, first was far preferable :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

Althought I reckon a fixie with no brakes is fairly thick as well.

Yeah it is a very inefficient way of slowing down as your weight is thrown on to the front wheel when you brake and so the friction of the back wheel and so the braking potential is lessened dramatically.

You still want a front brake but that said it is a good skill to have as long as you remember not to do it round corners.

Whilst on the topic of fixed gear craziness, the Olympic Keirin is tomorrow from 9.30am - 12.30

blorg wrote: »
    Emty and myself have been out training together more than once a week, we are getting a bit worried about you two :D I have read that it is best to train with hairy legs so that when you shave them for a race you really notice the weight/aero difference. Or maybe that was wheels. Same principle anyway.

You don't need to worry, I do enough of that for both of us :)

I know I'm going to be at the very back, but at least it gives you more time to drink while waiting for me, then I aim to beat Tom on the downhill parts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

blorg wrote: »
    You cannot do an effective emergency stop without a front brake. Nothing to do with leg stregth, laws of physics.
    Dead right. Frictional force decreases as the rear wheel moves further from the centre of the earths gravitational field. It's no coincidence that skidding competitions as a kid only involved the use of the rear brake, not the front one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

kenmc wrote: »
    Frictional force decreases as the rear wheel moves further from the centre of the earths gravitational field.

Yes indeed, once the wheel reaches a low-earth orbit friction with the road is minimal and braking distance is hugely increased. Lime-green deep-V rims can help to offset this though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement