Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best way to lower cholesterol

Options
  • 15-08-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I had a recent health check and my cholesterol was 5.99. So since then I've lost a stone but finding it hard now to keep eating the same old things (Fish, chicken, veg soup). I can't eat veg or salad on its own, need to mush it up into a soup!
    I also drink one of those special yogurts from aldi every morning and have some flora proactive on any sandwiches I have.
    I would love to have omlette but was told that egg is really bad for cholesterol. Anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jtbub15

4bugny wrote: »
    I had a recent health check and my cholesterol was 5.99. So since then I've lost a stone but finding it hard now to keep eating the same old things (Fish, chicken, veg soup). I can't eat veg or salad on its own, need to mush it up into a soup!
    I also drink one of those special yogurts from aldi every morning and have some flora proactive on any sandwiches I have.
    I would love to have omlette but was told that egg is really bad for cholesterol. Anyone have any tips?

Hey I recently got my cholesterol done to, I am 22, weigh 8 stone and I am about 5 '6", my cholesterol is 8.2!! they doc wants to put me on tablets but I would have to be on them for the rest of my life so because I am only 22, he is a bit reluctant. So diet it is. I am eating alot of boiled, baked and grilled chicken, (i dont eat fish) alot of rice also and fruit. Am enjoying trying to find different things to eat. Eggs are not great for high cholesterol. The yolk is the bad bit, the egg white is fine. Also make sure you buy olive oil to use with everything. I started the flora proactive thing aswell, one drink every day, they are actually very tasty and sure they cant be doing any harm!!

Best of luck and dont think of it as what you "cant" eat and rather what new stuff you can try!;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

porridge
    oatmeal (this is great!)
    high fiber fruit / veg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

There was a well published study done the concluded that one of the best weapons against cholesterol was whole eggs! They fed men three whole eggs a day and found that it raised HDL (good) cholesterol while LDL stayed the same or lowered.

Actually, cholesterol on its own is not that big a deal. You also need to look at trigyclerides to get a proper idea of your risk of heart disease. Triglycerides tend to correlate with the amount of refined carbs and processed food in the diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

You should try and eat more high fiber foods, eggs are ok in moderation but you want to avoid saturated fats as much as possible because they cause the body to produce more LDL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

No, sat fats tend to increase HLD cholesterol. This is why there was an automatic knee jerk reaction to sat fats, they tended to increase total cholesterol. But since they don't change LDL and they increase HDL, they are actually the good guys. The very very bad guys are the transfats. They increase LDL cholesterol without doing you any good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

EileenG wrote: »
    No, sat fats tend to increase HLD cholesterol. This is why there was an automatic knee jerk reaction to sat fats, they tended to increase total cholesterol. But since they don't change LDL and they increase HDL, they are actually the good guys. The very very bad guys are the transfats. They increase LDL cholesterol without doing you any good at all.

I think the OP was asking for advice on how to reduce overall chol levels as per doctors advice ... Triglyceride levels and the HDL / LDL ratio are important too but saturated fats do raise overall cholesterol and in my opinion this is not good.

eating lots of fresh veg, lean meats, fruit, porridge etc would be very beneficial, at least i found it to be :)

Advertisement